Couple of things recently got me thinking about this.  I reckon everyone's got a few musical skeletons in their closet, whether it be a guilty pleasure, complete ignorance on a certain topic, or a secret disdain for a universally acclaimed artist. Particularly interesting on here where there tends to be more than hint of musical.....elitism at times shall we say?

No judgements here, we're only human. Do try not to tear holes in each other for not liking something. Come in and make your confessions my children.

Forgive me father for I have sinned....

I'm 39 years old, was a teenager during the Britpop explosion, but I have never listened to the albums Parklife or Suede.

I think the White Stripes were massively overrated, and somehow everyone fell into the trap of thinking they were great but no-one wanted to be the one to admit they were a bit shit.

I'm still able, without breaking sweat, to do full acapella renditions of Boom! Shake the Room and Let's Get Ready to Rhumble.

I went to Robbie Williams at Hyde Park last weekend... I had a really good time... :ninja:

I don't mind most and actively enjoy some of Coldplay's music.

I saw Doves over Neil Young in 2009 and would do it again.

Gorillaz in 2010 were fucking lit

The first proper album I bought (on tape, mind) was Genesis' 'We Can't Dance', which led me to work backwards through their back-catalogue. I didn't listen to anything else until I discovered dance music about a year later. I will without question cry salt tears when Phil Collins passes away. 

Music snobs who lambast people for enjoying meat and potatoes rock are just as bad as indie ladsladslads who denounce hip hop, pop and every other genre as 'not proper music.

There's no such thing as a guilty pleasure, if you enjoy it then fucking own that shit.

• Upvote 7

I don't think I've anything left I'm ashamed about. I quite liked some of Coldplay's mid career stuff, does that count?

I used to be ashamed about a love for ABBA, but that's allowed these days.

Err, I hate Muse's early work more than the later work. The early albums are excruciating, the later merely awful.

Possibly the naffest thing is as a pre-teen, I really liked a compilation of new age/TV theme instrumentals called Moods:

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/234660

But even that, not ashamed of. It's got some genuinely good songs on it.

I like The Wiggles, but they're great. I'm just bragging at this point.

I never liked the idea of a guilty pleasure. I refuse to feel guilty for any of my pleasures, but here goes.

I genuinely love the music of U2, Coldplay and Phil Collins (although there's stuff from all of them I don't like). George Michael was awesome and never gets any credit for being an amazing producer.

Contentious opinions:

The White Stripes were one of the most over-rated bands of all-time, and Jack White is not a good guitarist (I've been playing guitar for nearly 30 years, so this opinion does not come from an area of ignorance).

Not only am I not a fan, but I remain baffled by the appeal and popularity of The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys.

I too have never listened to a Suede album all the way through - dude's voice just turns me off.

Radiohead's decline started after The Bends and I'm convinced people only pretend to like most of the post OK Computer stuff, because they love those 2 albums so much and are hoping that they will one day release something similar in reward for the loyalty. Caveat: In rainbows is good.

You’re all snobs. Nick Cave sucks. 

Also, Kasabian are one of the best live bands around, and should absolutely have another shot on the pyramid headlining.

Also also, if Stormzy can Headline the pyramid, Foals absolutely can. 

Edited by TKOCF

I always tell people that the first gig I ever went to was Iron Maiden in 1981. I say this because it's the first one I chose to go to.

My actual first gig was one I was dragged along to by my parents, it was Tammy Wynette. I fell asleep.

Brief clarification...

I use "guilty pleasure" as a recognisable term as opposed to something you should feel guilty about. I'm very much with @kingbadger and @maelzoid on this.

Unless that pleasure is Skrewdriver, in which case you absolutely should feel guilty.

Second clarification, this isn't intended as a shop to criticise those who have previously criticised. Very much an open shop for your own transgressions :)

Finally, thread isn't specifically about "guilty pleasures".

Edited by Quark

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

Couple of things recently got me thinking about this.  I reckon everyone's got a few musical skeletons in their closet, whether it be a guilty pleasure, complete ignorance on a certain topic, or a secret disdain for a universally acclaimed artist. Particularly interesting on here where there tends to be more than hint of musical.....elitism at times shall we say?

No judgements here, we're only human. Do try not to tear holes in each other for not liking something. Come in and make your confessions my children.

Forgive me father for I have sinned....

I'm 39 years old, was a teenager during the Britpop explosion, but I have never listened to the albums Parklife or Suede.

I think the White Stripes were massively overrated, and somehow everyone fell into the trap of thinking they were great but no-one wanted to be the one to admit they were a bit shit.

I'm still able, without breaking sweat, to do full acapella renditions of Boom! Shake the Room and Let's Get Ready to Rhumble.

Ha, I'm also 39 and have also never listened to parklife or suede and would probably agree re: white stripes, but have never listened to any of their albums either. I have a thing against people wearing bright white trousers, because I think it's dangerous, and that put me off listening to their music (imagine how I felt at this years Glastonbury). 

I never liked Oasis and think Liam Gallagher is the biggest charisma vacuum going. His so called "swagger" is just a man trying way too hard.

A bit more contentious one: I don't really like a lot of British bands. I find in nearly any popular genre the Americans do it much better.