Glastonbury leads the way on rubbish

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, caballosblancos said:

A good aggregate of studies relevant to this @gigpusher

http://ocean.si.edu/conservation/pollution/marine-plastics

we’re fucked 

Yes it feels like unlike science comes up with something big, anything we do is just delaying our self-destruction by years/decades rather than actually reversing the damage we have already done. 

7 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes it feels like unlike science comes up with something big, anything we do is just delaying our self-destruction by years/decades rather than actually reversing the damage we have already done. 

I reckon the damage is done old son.. Don't think we CAN reverse it.. BUT we have to try slow it down.. I've been really aware of the plastic that we get with shopping ect and now try to leave it at tesco..... That plastic program with Witley hugewhittingstirm was quite an eye opener.. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I reckon the damage is done old son.. Don't think we CAN reverse it.. BUT we have to try slow it down.. I've been really aware of the plastic that we get with shopping ect and now try to leave it at tesco..... That plastic program with Witley hugewhittingstirm was quite an eye opener.. 

upvote for hugh spelling :) 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

maybe that was the reason for some of the tents going too :) 

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe that was the reason for some of the tents going too :) 

Yea. When we got there Paris was worried about getting everyone in lol 2 days later there was space enough for the row mead field lolol.. By the time Mon came there was less than half the tents from Thursday.. 

The trouble is the field is on top of the hill so if its windy it gets it but hey ho that's how it goes... 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody comment on why Reading Festival might have been such an unholy litter tip afterwards compared to Glastonbury? Does G'bury do something Reading doesn't? What time do people have to be out by on the Monday at each event and do you think it would make a difference if people were given longer to get their stuff together? 

5 hours ago, Make Mondays Better said:

Can anybody comment on why Reading Festival might have been such an unholy litter tip afterwards compared to Glastonbury? Does G'bury do something Reading doesn't? What time do people have to be out by on the Monday at each event and do you think it would make a difference if people were given longer to get their stuff together? 

The kick out time is 5pm ( I think ) but I don’t think that has any influence ... Glastonbury last year had some fairly strong environmental messages with David Attenborough , extinction rebellion and a march and a plastic bottle ban that got everyone involved ... the trick being to try to cover everyone and he was placed just before Kylie in a significant time to get maximum coverage ... next year I reckon something will be done on the paper cups from bars front as looking at photos that seems the major issue still to sort .... oh and worthy warriors seemed to have quite a good uptake in numbers to encourage the tidy campsites 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

The kick out time is 5pm ( I think ) but I don’t think that has any influence ... Glastonbury last year had some fairly strong environmental messages with David Attenborough , extinction rebellion and a march and a plastic bottle ban that got everyone involved ... the trick being to try to cover everyone and he was placed just before Kylie in a significant time to get maximum coverage ... next year I reckon something will be done on the paper cups from bars front as looking at photos that seems the major issue still to sort .... oh and worthy warriors seemed to have quite a good uptake in numbers to encourage the tidy campsites 

Boomtown has compostable cups that were 100% biodegradable - I could see Glastonbury taking that route or making the steel cup enforceable as part of your ticket price.

10 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Boomtown has compostable cups that were 100% biodegradable - I could see Glastonbury taking that route or making the steel cup enforceable as part of your ticket price.

Biodegradable cups would be good , but i prefer the other option..... were there fewer biodegradable cups on the ground because they were biodegradable ? or did it mean they could be dropped with (less ) guilt ? I took this photo on Sunday night at the other stage and I see very little else other than the paper cups in the photo 

IMG_4185.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Was it last year already? ?

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ah, it's definitely earlier than that at Rdg, they don't let the volunteers in until all of the campers are out and we were let in at around 3pm this year. I've heard the stewards are quite aggressively yelling at people to leave as well. I was wondering if the campers know what time they have to leave, I can't see it stated on the festival website or in the FAQs anywhere - maybe they are taken unawares somewhat? It wouldn't be hard for them to put it on the website - please leave by Xo'clock, don't forget to leave time to pack your stuff up and put like even just a fraction of your litter in the general vicinity of our incredibly small waste disposal areas... 

1 minute ago, Make Mondays Better said:

Ah, it's definitely earlier than that at Rdg, they don't let the volunteers in until all of the campers are out and we were let in at around 3pm this year. I've heard the stewards are quite aggressively yelling at people to leave as well. I was wondering if the campers know what time they have to leave, I can't see it stated on the festival website or in the FAQs anywhere - maybe they are taken unawares somewhat? It wouldn't be hard for them to put it on the website - please leave by Xo'clock, don't forget to leave time to pack your stuff up and put like even just a fraction of your litter in the general vicinity of our incredibly small waste disposal areas... 

it really isn't the Kick out time that has an effect though as already stated 

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it really isn't the Kick out time that has an effect though as already stated 

From what I've heard Reading did do similar things, Extinction Rebellion were there encouraging people to take their stuff home, there was a ban on single-use plastic, visitors were urged to bring their own water bottles and refill them, between the bands there were continual messages on the video screens about taking your tents home and there was a speech from Greta Thunberg (did she collaborate with The 1975 on a song or something?) which was greeted with cheers and enthusiasm - I guess it's not Kylie and Sir David, but it feels a bit unfair if those two need to turn up at every festival to get people to not behave like absolute nobheads.

My controversial? opinion is that in a way, I'm less bothered about people abandoning cheap, destroyed camping gear, than I am about the general level of littering you get all weekend at festivals.  When by headliner time, the pyramid stage field is several layers deep of discarded cans, paper cups and other assorted garbage, you know the problem isn't one or two people being a bit lazy - but the majority.  This disappoints me more than a few hungover kids unwilling to packdown and carry cheap broken tents several miles to their car.

1 hour ago, uscore said:

My controversial? opinion is that in a way, I'm less bothered about people abandoning cheap, destroyed camping gear, than I am about the general level of littering you get all weekend at festivals.  When by headliner time, the pyramid stage field is several layers deep of discarded cans, paper cups and other assorted garbage, you know the problem isn't one or two people being a bit lazy - but the majority.  This disappoints me more than a few hungover kids unwilling to packdown and carry cheap broken tents several miles to their car.

Hmmm. That's a bit unintelligent.

Cos the cans and paper cups are rubbish whether it's dropped on the floor or put in a bin, while a perfectly good tent left behind means replacement plastic being produced in its place.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Hmmm. That's a bit unintelligent.

Cos the cans and paper cups are rubbish whether it's dropped on the floor or put in a bin, while a perfectly good tent left behind means replacement plastic being produced in its place.

Thanks for the lovely way you open every argument x

If you want to split hairs, I never mentioned anything about "perfectly good tents".