Glastonbury leads the way on rubbish

guypjfreak

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This transportation idea of luggage from car parks just encourages people to bring more and more though and thats not the answer .. the logistics would be a nightmare too ... you would have to have a drop off point for luggage and then a collection point ... and the numbers would be ridiculous ....  its simple dont bring it if you cant carry it both ways ... you should be Alcohol free (in carrying terms ) on the way out aswell so there is no excuse ... if its difficult a quick trip to the car to take some back on the sunday isn't hard for those that like a few more creature comforts ... get it in ... take it out 

The trouble with just saying that attitudes need to change is how do you make that happen? Are you going to go around with a loudhailer shouting in people's faces? I think some real thought needs to go into understanding why people do it and attempting to address some of the legitimate difficulties. Would it be impossible to hire some vehicles? No. Would it be tricky to reunite people with their luggage if they travellled separately? Probably. Would it work better the second year, once they'd worked some of the kinks out? Probably. Is it better than doing nothing and hoping the problem just goes away on it's own?

I take your point that maybe people would just end up bringing even more stuff, but there must be an upper limit to how much anybody would want to bring. And sometimes I do waver in my belief that technology and incentives are the way forward, education and/or a short sharp kick in the bum might be more effective!

6 hours ago, stuie said:

I hope Glastonbury can implement using reusable deposit cups at all bars next year as it was only crew bars this year.

Glastonbury aren't leading the way on this.  Sure, it's bigger so the logistics are more complicated but other festivals are using 100% reusable cups now.

I've got an idea that if they gave you a nice, festival branded cup (i.e. with Glastonbury 2020 on it) people might reuse it over the weekend then take it home as a souvenir (some people anyway). I went to a cider festival once and they gave you a really nice laser etched glass on the way in for you to use and keep, and I thought that was pretty cool. You can also get collapsible cups made of silicone or stainless steel, which might be good at a festival - when you're done drinking and want to pogo you can fold it up and stuff it in a bag or pocket. It might get a bit sticky, though maybe the lid helps with that. The review for this particular one on Amazon does say it's a bit prone to collapsing mid-use, but maybe you can get good ones.

512aoXRVD9L._SL1001_.jpg

16 minutes ago, Make Mondays Better said:

I've got an idea that if they gave you a nice, festival branded cup (i.e. with Glastonbury 2020 on it) people might reuse it over the weekend then take it home as a souvenir (some people anyway). I went to a cider festival once and they gave you a really nice laser etched glass on the way in for you to use and keep, and I thought that was pretty cool. You can also get collapsible cups made of silicone or stainless steel, which might be good at a festival - when you're done drinking and want to pogo you can fold it up and stuff it in a bag or pocket. It might get a bit sticky, though maybe the lid helps with that. The review for this particular one on Amazon does say it's a bit prone to collapsing mid-use, but maybe you can get good ones.

512aoXRVD9L._SL1001_.jpg

can I ask if you have attended Glastonbury ? 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thought as much ... they already sell a similar version to that at the festival which has been available for a few years now 

Haha, I've outed myself, lol. I don't really like crowds or camping. I do like music though (being not a complete monster).  I saw the mess left behind after Reading this year and it's really terrible, I want to find ways to make it better. I'm feeling slightly ridiculous now, but we do all live on the same planet 

Just now, Make Mondays Better said:

Haha, I've outed myself, lol. I don't really like crowds or camping. I do like music though (being not a complete monster).  I saw the mess left behind after Reading this year and it's really terrible, I want to find ways to make it better. I'm feeling slightly ridiculous now, but we do all live on the same planet 

:)  we do and I think pretty much all of us share the same opinion ... Reading and Glastonbury are very much different though .... so difficult to compare solutions for an arena festival and one with camping on site ... the scale of Glastonbury site is astounding if you haven't been before 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

:)  we do and I think pretty much all of us share the same opinion ... Reading and Glastonbury are very much different though .... so difficult to compare solutions for an arena festival and one with camping on site ... the scale of Glastonbury site is astounding if you haven't been before 

Roughly the same size as Brighton, or so they say! Or do they? Having googled that it may be pap.

Edited by Make Mondays Better

I have a couple of the nice staff bar ones from this year that are now used in the garden and we used in the campsite at noisily. 

10 hours ago, Make Mondays Better said:

Roughly the same size as Brighton, or so they say! Or do they? Having googled that it may be pap.

A good chunk of it! 

https://gsp8181.co.uk/glasto/index.php?location=Brighton+uk

2ABA9C7E-1AF2-4514-99C5-FB1E6F03589B.jpeg

16 hours ago, Make Mondays Better said:

And sometimes I do waver in my belief that technology and incentives are the way forward, education and/or a short sharp kick in the bum might be more effective!

Problem as I see it is that all of the attitudes towards waste, consumption, instant gratification with no real consideration of consequences etc have become so embedded in the way that we live in a modern consumption-based society that it goes beyond education.  For us to have a truly effective impact on attitudes, behaviours and where we're heading in general, it needs a top to bottom change in the system. No reason not to try, but I do think it's a bit naive to think otherwise.

Sorry...bit of a downer mood for a Friday :(

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, Quark said:

Problem as I see it is that all of the attitudes towards waste, consumption, instant gratification with no real consideration of consequences etc have become so embedded in the way that we live in a modern consumption-based society that it goes beyond education.  For us to have a truly effective impact on attitudes, behaviours and where we're heading in general, it needs a top to bottom change in the system. No reason not to try, but I do think it's a bit naive to think otherwise.

Sorry...bit of a downer mood for a Friday :(

Crikey, it's not often I'm the most optimistic person in a room! (Naive, maybe often though, I'll take that). It sort of feels to me like festivals are a microcosm for the rest of the world - if you can sort it out there you can scale it up everywhere else. I saw this article about reverse vending machines at festivals (and also some supermarkets) - you put your empty bottle in the machine and get a 10p deposit back. https://www.edie.net/news/5/Co-op-to-host-reverse-vending-machines-for-plastic-bottles-at-UK-festivals/

Apparently they had these at Reading though and there were still plenty of bottles left behind in the campsites there. It does say when you dig down into it that it's only for bottles bought from the Co-op on-site (presumably because you need to have paid the deposit in the first place). Could something like this work in the arena areas with the biodegradable cups? Put 'em in a computerised bin and get 10p - doesn't matter if it was your cup or whether you want to buy another drink - and you don't have to queue up and talk to a person to get the money (although it would probably be a printed voucher rather than cold hard cash).

Another flaw with the actual bottle machines described in the article is that the thought of trudging across potentially many campsite for the sake of 10p might not appeal - especially when the alternative could be my idea of watching them get crushed into cubes by an industrial crusher. The logic behind this is that I like watching cars get crushed into cubes, and there is the 'Will it blend?' channel on youtube - people like watching stuff get messed up, and everyone liked Wall-E right? (Are there crushers at Glasto? I've seen comments about how they deal with all of the waste on site but don't know any details - do you get to watch and do you think this would incentivise normal people to bring their rubbish? Obviously some thought would need to go into safeguarding the machinery.) 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, crazyfool1 said:

thought as much ... they already sell a similar version to that at the festival which has been available for a few years now 

They sell commemorative / collapsible cups - are they expensive? If we're targetting the slightly mindless masses rather than people who already care - perhaps they would use something like this but wouldn't be prepared to pay for it? If they were issued for free on entry maybe some would be converted over to the light side, or at least make them think about the problem a little bit