Extinction rebellion

Scargilla

Anyone else really looking forward to being told how to save the planet by a load of hypocrites who seem to think causing massive congestion in city centres is a good idea? 

Hopefully they'll be setting off walking sometime soon to get to the festival and generating their own electricity for the stage equipment instead of using the diesel generators.... 

And for any of you soap dodging, snow flakes... i'm poking a bit of fun... but they are massive hypocrites. Fully support a better future for us all but the way this militant organisation conducts themselves is nothing short of eco terrorism.  Hopefully they'll see the funny side if I glue my balls to the microphone... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scargilla said:

Anyone else really looking forward to being told how to save the planet by a load of hypocrites who seem to think causing massive congestion in city centres is a good idea? 

Hopefully they'll be setting off walking sometime soon to get to the festival and generating their own electricity for the stage equipment instead of using the diesel generators.... 

And for any of you soap dodging, snow flakes... i'm poking a bit of fun... but they are massive hypocrites. Fully support a better future for us all but the way this militant organisation conducts themselves is nothing short of eco terrorism.  Hopefully they'll see the funny side if I glue my balls to the microphone... 

That's just stupid from start to finish, I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Globalist said:

That's just stupid from start to finish, I'm afraid.

Completely agree its stupid..  why would a movement wanting to prevent climate change block off arterial routes into city's causing thousands of cars to sit idling... glad we agree. And don't be afraid, I'm sure they can be scared off with a job application form. 

Edited by Scargilla
Wanted to add more feedback ;)
  • Downvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, Scargilla said:

Completely agree its stupid..  why would a movement wanting to prevent climate change block off arterial routes into city's causing thousands of cars to sit idling... glad we agree. And don't be afraid, I'm sure they can be scared off with a job application form. 

how naïve are you haha

• Upvote 1

It doesn’t. But I see @Scargillas point. They’ve been protesting in Bristol and blocking off main routes into the city causing lots of traffic congestion and therefore more pollution into the air. 

But I also see why the festival will have them speaking. We all need to do a little bit more to help our planet. Small steps for some will make a massive difference. 

4 hours ago, Rum Ham said:

how naïve are you haha

Please feel free to expand on my naivety?

I'm not naive about climate change, I'm not naive about the fact blocking roads and causing cars to idle is contributing to a problem, I'm also not naive to the hypocrisy of people claiming to care about climate change towing boats into city centres using diesl cars.. driving to festivals which themselves are are contributing to the problem to tell people we need to change..

My issue does not lie with trying to resolve the problem and taking drastic actions to do so.. my issue is the hypocrisy. I dont sit there telling people eating meat is bad while tucking into a steak. You want people to change, then lead by example. 

Good luck to them but I still stand by my view point of them being massive hypocrites.

3 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

It doesn’t. But I see @Scargillas point. They’ve been protesting in Bristol and blocking off main routes into the city causing lots of traffic congestion and therefore more pollution into the air. 

But I also see why the festival will have them speaking. We all need to do a little bit more to help our planet. Small steps for some will make a massive difference. 

I completely agree with respects to we all need to start making changes and that's exactly what they should be promoting.  And thank you for understanding aspects of my view point.

I have the utmost respect for people who see a problem and offer sensible solutions or make attempts to induce change. Blocking off roads, causing issues for hospitals and emergency services and adding to the problem is not sensible. Its counter productive and alienating yourselves from the public you're trying to influence.

4 hours ago, Simon Anderson said:

Am I missing something? Where in that link does it say they will be blocking roads? They have been invited to the festival to hold talks and raise awareness. That is all. Think you’re all being a bit OTT.

Hi Simon

Sorry if my post gave the impression they'd be blocking off roads at the festival. Pretty sure that wont be happening, least I hope not. 

And I think it's great people want to raise awareness of this issues, I'm just not a fan of the tactics used by the above group in trying to achieve this.

I'd suggest that people who are ignorant and selfish enough to leave their engines idling unnecessary pretty much proof the necessity of groups like ER. If that's the kind of nonsense you need to convince yourself of to oppose direct action/protest, it's probably better to just keep quiet.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, Scargilla said:

I have the utmost respect for people who see a problem and offer sensible solutions or make attempts to induce change. Blocking off roads, causing issues for hospitals and emergency services and adding to the problem is not sensible. Its counter productive and alienating yourselves from the public you're trying to influence.

Can you provide specific evidence, with links to statements from emergency services (ambulances in particular) saying categorically that the protests have posed a clear and direct risk to public health? Or are you just making stuff up? 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/what-ambulance-service-says-extinction-3113014

Edited by Globalist

On 7/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, Globalist said:

Can you provide specific evidence, with links to statements from emergency services (ambulances in particular) saying categorically that the protests have posed a clear and direct risk to public health? Or are you just making stuff up? 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/what-ambulance-service-says-extinction-3113014

Yep, I can... various friends who work for Bristol royal infirmary took to social media to highlight the issues the protest was causing for various departments, both for staff and patients trying to visit the hospital. Also various people highlighted the fact due to large amounts of congestion various emergency services were having to take alternative routes leading to longer response times down to the fact arterial routes into the city were so congested it made them almost impossible to pass.  However i'm sure extinction rebellion will highlight how amazing they were allowing a pregnant woman in a car to pass through the blockade.. obviously ignoring the fact she had to fight her way through the already congested roads to get there.. but hey i'm sure the yoga in front of a boat was worth it...   

Oh and i'm pretty sure any one with half a brain would realise that the statement made from the ambulance service has come from various top level managers who wan't to try and keep the public reassured there isn't an issue... but i'm sure you're happy to ignore the fact members of the public have physically witnessed and recorded an ambulance caught up in the disruption. 

On 7/24/2019 at 9:40 AM, Globalist said:

I'd suggest that people who are ignorant and selfish enough to leave their engines idling unnecessary pretty much proof the necessity of groups like ER. If that's the kind of nonsense you need to convince yourself of to oppose direct action/protest, it's probably better to just keep quiet.

Ahhhh yes... those ignorant people.. how dare they leave their car engines running after being forced to sit in a traffic jam caused by a so called environmental group.. those selfish people... Maybe if those selfish unwashed drum beaters stopped being ignorant to the fact that causing major traffic jams was actually contributing more to the issue and causing misery for decent people then we wouldn't take issue with them... probably better to keep quiet as clearly you don't get it.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:25 PM, Smeble said:

They solved climate change at Latitude so no point going to KC, they were wandering around dressed in red with faces painted white so job done, earth saved.

nice blag if you can get it.

Oh don't worry they also did an amazing job at Kendal calling. I witnessed them wandering around at least once with a few flags... then we spotted a drum circle in the woods on plastic buckets.... but most of the time we just spotted them wandering around with 2 litre bottles of alcohol that they smuggled into the festival site from the diesel van they had arrived in.... Good job guys and girls (and non binary) you've saved us all.... Anything to avoid getting a job I guess.

17 hours ago, Scargilla said:

Oh don't worry they also did an amazing job at Kendal calling. I witnessed them wandering around at least once with a few flags... then we spotted a drum circle in the woods on plastic buckets.... but most of the time we just spotted them wandering around with 2 litre bottles of alcohol that they smuggled into the festival site from the diesel van they had arrived in.... Good job guys and girls (and non binary) you've saved us all.... Anything to avoid getting a job I guess.

Cor blimey you really don't like ER people do you?

Perhaps you have alternative ideas to save our planet?