Extinction Rebellion, Loving the farm (the future )

Crazyfool01

I almost always make a pack lunch for work. The amount of waste you get with the average meal deal is unacceptable. Plus, pack lunches can be cheaper, tastier and healthier.

I've stopped buying kitchen towel. I've gone back to napkins, which has the bonus of making it feel like a restaurant at home!

I've been trying to do more too. I'm surprised to hear you weren't already recycling in your apartment block. That's been the norm in Ireland for 10 years. I think it might even be law. Even in work we recycle all rubbish that comes out of the offices and canteen, as much as possible anyway. These days if the weather is dry I cycle to work instead of driving. It takes longer but I actually enjoy it and it's a handy way to get exercise as I hate gyms etc. I stopped buying water now and just use my glasto water bottle all the time instead. Saves money too! 

I'm curious on the no flying thing what the preferred version of that is. I understand the consequences of what flying does to the planet. What I mean is, are the people who don't fly accepting that they will never get to see parts of the world because of the impact or is the thinking that you should be making the effort to get around by different means?

I read a story about someone who never flies but has taken 14 day long train journeys to go on holiday but that clearly isn't feasible for your average shmo like me.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, SlipperySeawolf said:

All of this is well and good,  but I'm afraid its not going to make any difference. Other countries in the third world and above, need to start pulling their weight in regards to emissions etc. Half of the population of the U.K putting their yoghurt pots and milk cartons in a different bin and skipping the lamb chops one evening per week aint gona change shit.

Crap trolling.

18 minutes ago, 1986 said:

I'm curious on the no flying thing what the preferred version of that is. I understand the consequences of what flying does to the planet. What I mean is, are the people who don't fly accepting that they will never get to see parts of the world because of the impact or is the thinking that you should be making the effort to get around by different means?

I read a story about someone who never flies but has taken 14 day long train journeys to go on holiday but that clearly isn't feasible for your average shmo like me.

Teleconferencing for business. The big air miles are often business related.

Not flying for little city breaks or limit it to one or two a year. If you want to see Europe, travel as appropriate to a start and finish place then use ground transport or a fairly full economical or electric vehicle to see a few more.

Go back to a concept of a trip to Oz, South America or Asia as once in a lifetime trips, not popping to Bali every year because you like it.

Now I'm not saying this from a high moral perch, as travel is definitely my biggest footprint, but trying to implement these things every time you think about travel will help.

6 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Teleconferencing for business. The big air miles are often business related.

Not flying for little city breaks or limit it to one or two a year. If you want to see Europe, travel as appropriate to a start and finish place then use ground transport or a fairly full economical or electric vehicle to see a few more.

Go back to a concept of a trip to Oz, South America or Asia as once in a lifetime trips, not popping to Bali every year because you like it.

Now I'm not saying this from a high moral perch, as travel is definitely my biggest footprint, but trying to implement these things every time you think about travel will help.

I've been looking at carbon offsetting my trip to Bali this year (no excuses but I yearly hop to Bali to see my brother and nephew) - I have no idea why lots of the carbon offset progarmmes differentiate the amount to donate to a worthy cause dependant if you are travelling economy, business, first- carbon offset is carbon offset yes ?

I watched the XR progranmme last night and trying to learn more and more, just ordered the handbook as I'd like to really understand their underlying goals and whats achievalble, We have to start somewhere, and we all have to do our bit and just because China/America doesn;t come to the party or your next door neighbour doesnt mean we can all bury our heads in the sand. I'm trying to educate myself more, trying to make small changes and have already said its camping next year and not Bali / long flight.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I've been looking at carbon offsetting my trip to Bali this year (no excuses but I yearly hop to Bali to see my brother and nephew) - I have no idea why lots of the carbon offset progarmmes differentiate the amount to donate to a worthy cause dependant if you are travelling economy, business, first- carbon offset is carbon offset yes ?

I watched the XR progranmme last night and trying to learn more and more, just ordered the handbook as I'd like to really understand their underlying goals and whats achievalble, We have to start somewhere, and we all have to do our bit and just because China/America doesn;t come to the party or your next door neighbour doesnt mean we can all bury our heads in the sand. I'm trying to educate myself more, trying to make small changes and have already said its camping next year and not Bali / long flight.

Good on you. We can all do our bit. I'd be inclined to think economy is marginally lower in the footprint stakes...flights with a higher proportion of spacious accomodation would have a higher per person footprint for sure... Atmosfair is a decent carbon offset organisation...

10 hours ago, Superscally said:

Excuse my naivety but a genuine question so hope I don't get hated on for it, but that plane would be flying with or without you on it. Empty seats or no empty seats. Surely by me not being on a particular flight has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on pollution? Unless you can directly get the airline to reduce flights/cease flying. The same amount of planes will be travelling to those destinations daily.

This thread is all well and good but it’s  just pissing in the ocean when China is building a new coal power station almost daily, I refuse to be guilt tripped until something is done about them and the US on a national level.

Washing your yoghurt pots and only eating meat twice a week isn’t going to save the planet

Edited by Smeble

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Excuse my naivety but a genuine question so hope I don't get hated on for it, but that plane would be flying with or without you on it. Empty seats or no empty seats. Surely by me not being on a particular flight has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on pollution? Unless you can directly get the airline to reduce flights/cease flying. The same amount of planes will be travelling to those destinations daily.

Lower demand will reduce the number of flights. 

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

Crap trolling.

In what way is what they said trolling? You are delusional if you think what we do in this county will save the planet, it may lesson people’s  guilt but that’s all, until pressure is put on countries like China and the US on a national level we are just paying lip service to saving the planet.

7 hours ago, Smeble said:

This thread is all well and good but it’s  just pissing in the ocean when China is building a new coal power station almost daily, I refuse to be guilt tripped until something is done about them and the US on a national level.

Washing your yoghurt pots and only eating meat twice a week isn’t going to save the planet

6 hours ago, Smeble said:

In what way is what they said trolling? You are delusional if you think what we do in this county will save the planet, it may lesson people’s  guilt but that’s all, until pressure is put on countries like China and the US on a national level we are just paying lip service to saving the planet.

I'll answer these together. No-one is guilt tripping you. They're saying what they are trying to do and hoping people will follow. Unless you're Boris Johnson, then you will have little bearing on what the US and China will do. Therefore you can only influence the world immediately around you and try to encourage others in your sphere to do the same. You are effectively "creating demand", a concept which going on the comment you made about flights, is something you're aware of. By "Washing your yoghurt pots and eating meat twice a week", you're making it clear that there is a demand for recycling and meat free products/lifestyles. It's part of a mechanism that will show politicians that this is an issue that people care deeply about. If that pushes the issue up the agenda and keeps it there it increases the chance of things being done at national level. China has already set some pretty ambitious carbon targets as it is and is actually very active in trying to find ways to clean up it's very mucky act...

It was trolling, fairly obviously as though they made an ill informed/advised comment, they came, burned and went. Troll type 1. Type 2 is where someone keep pushing an issue when it's clear that they're getting owned and winding people up simultaneously. 

The greatest threat to the planet is the belief that someone else will save it - Robert Swan

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Smeble said:

well as the original poster ... I can confirm that this thread wasnt designed to guilt trip anyone ... it was written with the intention of putting a few things down that I have pledged to do myself .... and for others too do the same ... and for anyone that felt it was beyond them or didn't feel like they were able to contribute anything they were/are perfectly free to ignore the thread completely ... like I do with many threads on here . I can't do anything about the US /China but I can make some small changes to my lifestyle that may make a tiny impact and at least make me feel like im making something of an effort and try and help and encourage others to make a difference .... look at the farm this year and the improvement so that shows that we can make a difference .

I dont know if you have read all of the later posts on here but one of the things I have done is get work to recycle its office/canteen rubbish which prevents 180 cages of recyclable material going direct to landfill  per annum and something im bloody proud of :) 

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

The greatest threat to the planet is the belief that someone else will save it - Robert Swan

exactly this ... id like to do my bit ... and someone elses bit too if they dont fancy it .

Anyway hope this makes some sense to you .. all the best CF 

Edited by crazyfool1
added per annum
  • Upvote 1

I must admit I am a little bemused at this thread. When I read Extinction Revolution I was expecting a thread discussing affirmative action and civil disobedience. Instead we are treated to a thread that appears to be back slapping for doing things that we have done not for years but for decades. The festival itself has been promoting the Love the farm message for many years so what have people done in the past. That said I live in an echo chamber and surround myself with like minded people so I may be a little blinkered 

30 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I must admit I am a little bemused at this thread. When I read Extinction Revolution I was expecting a thread discussing affirmative action and civil disobedience. Instead we are treated to a thread that appears to be back slapping for doing things that we have done not for years but for decades. The festival itself has been promoting the Love the farm message for many years so what have people done in the past. That said I live in an echo chamber and surround myself with like minded people so I may be a little blinkered 

I personally have not done so much in the past and im quite open about this ... my Glastonbury experience over the last couple of festivals has caused me to rethink how I operate in terms of the environment and maybe it does have a bit of back slapping involved but I actually think there isn't enough positiveness about these days and I like to post in a positive manner as often as possible ... You have been fairly negative about a few of my posts recently ... I am aware that the love the farm has been promoted for quite a while as ive been attending since 2003 but this year it seems some momentum was gained with Extinction Rebellion and David Attenborough on the farm and also the plastic bottle ban  and thought this thread might be an opportunity for some to say what they are doing going forward ... not just leave it on the farm and forget about it. 

hope this makes sense to you , if not feel free to ignore the thread and post in one of the many other threads on here .

CF 

• Upvote 3