Extinction Rebellion, Loving the farm (the future )

Crazyfool01

All of this is well and good,  but I'm afraid its not going to make any difference. Other countries in the third world and above, need to start pulling their weight in regards to emissions etc. Half of the population of the U.K putting their yoghurt pots and milk cartons in a different bin and skipping the lamb chops one evening per week aint gona change shit.

2 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Great. Do you have a mixture of sizes? I Imogene I'll need more of the smaller ones.

Yeah, we got a pack with a few sizes to try them out, and we've generally been happy with them.  They work better on some things than others - they're great at covering  a bowl of food, say, less so at wrapping oddly shaped or delicate items - but they do the job.

1 minute ago, SlipperySeawolf said:

All of this is well and good,  but I'm afraid its not going to make any difference. Other countries in the third world and above, need to start pulling their weight in regards to emissions etc. Half of the population of the U.K putting their yoghurt pots and milk cartons in a different bin and skipping the lamb chops one evening per week aint gona change shit.

Do you have a friend called jim ? 

1 minute ago, SlipperySeawolf said:

True.  This country could turn 100% carbon neutral and it'd mean next to nothing if the US and China carry on as they are.  Personally though I think that if I can alter my lifestyle a bit then I am obliged to do so.  The larger, existential threat is going to require much, much more than that though and the guy in the White House doesn't seem to be overly concerned, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah, we got a pack with a few sizes to try them out, and we've generally been happy with them.  They work better on some things than others - they're great at covering  a bowl of food, say, less so at wrapping oddly shaped or delicate items - but they do the job.

Thanks. Really helpful. Will get some ordered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

True.  This country could turn 100% carbon neutral and it'd mean next to nothing if the US and China carry on as they are.  Personally though I think that if I can alter my lifestyle a bit then I am obliged to do so.  The larger, existential threat is going to require much, much more than that though and the guy in the White House doesn't seem to be overly concerned, unfortunately.

Let’s hope his time is up soon ... but amazingly he’s survived so far 

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

End of the day it kind of boils down to what sort of person you are I think.  Personally I like to be able to look in the mirror and say "yup, I did what I could". Rage against the dying of the light and all that.

No-one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

End of the day it kind of boils down to what sort of person you are I think.  Personally I like to be able to look in the mirror and say "yup, I did what I could". Rage against the dying of the light and all that.

Couldn't have said it better.

Can we take this further and recommend some good products. And maybe correct some of us if what we think is good maybe isn't.  Share the knowledge.

I for one like clipper tea bags. Completely recyclable packaging and plastic free. Unless you know otherwise. ?

It takes the gradual shift in attitude for the big changes to happen. It may feel like it makes fuck all difference but if everyone cut their meat intake in half the less demand would (in theory at least) alter the amount produced and reduce the de-forestation and carbon emissions that come from it. Assuming I'm not being to basic with my logic, I know there are so many factors.

I've been wondering about plastic recycling, with the recent news articles about it basically being bollocks and all the old plastic is just going to poorer countries to sort. I wonder if landfill isn't the better option, after avoiding it all together obviously.

7 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Can we take this further and recommend some good products. And maybe correct some of us if what we think is good maybe isn't.  Share the knowledge.

I for one like clipper tea bags. Completely recyclable packaging and plastic free. Unless you know otherwise. ?

Another vote for Clipper. Plus it's just nice tea :)

I go for Co-Op's own coffee; it's the cheapest fairtrade option I've found so far.

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

It takes the gradual shift in attitude for the big changes to happen. It may feel like it makes fuck all difference but if everyone cut their meat intake in half the less demand would (in theory at least) alter the amount produced and reduce the de-forestation and carbon emissions that come from it. Assuming I'm not being to basic with my logic, I know there are so many factors.

I've been wondering about plastic recycling, with the recent news articles about it basically being bollocks and all the old plastic is just going to poorer countries to sort. I wonder if landfill isn't the better option, after avoiding it all together obviously.

Reduce, Re-use, Recycle innit.  

You've also got to pick your battles between things like plastic, organic farming, free range, palm oil, affordability etc.  

1 hour ago, Quark said:

No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

It's a powerful quote but the reality is that we could all do so much more than we do but we don't want to.

For example, travelling to/from and creating waste at a festival, or jetting off on your summer holidays is much more damaging to the planet that not having LED lihgtbulbs.

That's just this country  - let's not get involved in a discussion about America or China.

Just now, stuie said:

It's a powerful quote but the reality is that we could all do so much more than we do but we don't want to.

Absolutely, but the point is more that the fact your individual effort on its own won't halt global warming or fix the plastic soup problem shouldn't stop you from doing something about it.  Same principle applies to fair trade, or homelessness, or online misogyny, or...you get the idea :)

Glad the discussion is continuing on this. It's the fight against apathy and the attitude that we can't do anything to stop our destruction therefore we might as well not bother doing anything that drives me up the wall. 

The big news in Bristol at the moment is the impact the Extinction Rebellion protest is having on the traffic, and video of a woman listening to a radio call-ing from a man who's father died before he could get to the hospital to say goodbye. As much as it must be heartbreaking to go through that, it doesn't negate the need for an impactful protest that people actually listen to. Mixed feelings on this one...

2 hours ago, SlipperySeawolf said:

That's the spirit, what was it that was on the bags this year?

If not you, who? If not now, when?

35 minutes ago, matichin said:

Glad the discussion is continuing on this. It's the fight against apathy and the attitude that we can't do anything to stop our destruction therefore we might as well not bother doing anything that drives me up the wall. 

The big news in Bristol at the moment is the impact the Extinction Rebellion protest is having on the traffic, and video of a woman listening to a radio call-ing from a man who's father died before he could get to the hospital to say goodbye. As much as it must be heartbreaking to go through that, it doesn't negate the need for an impactful protest that people actually listen to. Mixed feelings on this one...

of course thats heartbreaking for the people/person concerned .... but unfortunately the impact of apathy/ignorance   is going to be causing problems on a much much bigger scale and cause more deaths .... it's almost a no pain no gain situation at times ... and I was very close to going to Bristol today to join them to educate myself more than anything 

Just now, shuttlep said:

always recycled , always used card board boxes in tesco rather than carrier bags

still going to eat all the meat I can though, even the processed stuff,  I loves my meat.

Thats why I've just cut down ... its not something thats possible for me ... ive chosen to do other things .....maybe not the same impact but an impact all the same 

I do as much as I can .. Haven't flown in 13 years, I'm rural so have to use  a vehicle but mostly only twice a week, .

We are meat eaters but also rescue ex bat hens , ducks and turkeys..o and pot bellied pigs I use a local organic farm shop for most but we are big fish eaters so a varied diet.

I never buy micro wave meals...ever  and farm feeds for animals come in paper sacks .

Plastic is still an issue and can't seem to get away from  a lot of the stuff no matter how hard I try.

When I lived in Hereford their refuse collections were dreadful and only allowed 1 recycling bin a fortnight but now I'm back home in rural Oxfordshire they will take everything recyclable and it can all go in one bin or recycling bags .

My only extravagance is water as the ducks have to have clean paddling pools every day but that's fine for me 

3 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I do as much as I can .. Haven't flown in 13 years, I'm rural so have to use  a vehicle but mostly only twice a week, .

We are meat eaters but also rescue ex bat hens , ducks and turkeys..o and pot bellied pigs I use a local organic farm shop for most but we are big fish eaters so a varied diet.

I never buy micro wave meals...ever  and farm feeds for animals come in paper sacks .

Plastic is still an issue and can't seem to get away from  a lot of the stuff no matter how hard I try.

When I lived in Hereford their refuse collections were dreadful and only allowed 1 recycling bin a fortnight but now I'm back home in rural Oxfordshire they will take everything recyclable and it can all go in one bin or recycling bags .

My only extravagance is water as the ducks have to have clean paddling pools every day but that's fine for me 

you are living the dream , except you need a pond ;)

woudl love to have my own chickens for eggs and when they get too old I would have no problem eating them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quark said:

This absolutely. I saw a quote the other day that said saving the planet isn't about a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. It's about millions of people doing it imperfectly. 

I've been slowly making lots of little changes. Stopped buying plastic toothbrushes last year and replaced with bamboo, same with cotton buds. I bring my reusable cup out and about with me. If I know I'm going to street food type places I try and remember to bring my own cutlery. I always bring a shopping bag with me just in case I end up buying anything. I've just bought my first shampoo bars to use when my shampoo runs out. I've also bought bars of soap to move back to once all our liquid soap has run out. I've moved over to beeswax wraps as much as possible as well. 

I try to buy loose veg when I can however it is often so much more expensive. I am doing my best to only buy clothes when I really need them (am losing weight and 4 stone and 3 sizes down and all I've bought is 1 pair of pyjamas and a couple of pairs of leggings) Soon I will probably need to buy but will look to buy second hand as much as possible. I'm using old knackered t-shirts etc as dusters. 

One of the key things for me is that the age old message of reduce, reuse, recycle seems to have been shortened to just recycle for most people. I'm trying to reduce how often I wash clothes for example. I'm trying to get refills for packaging rather than buying them again.

I am trying to find tactful ways to have conversations with family members about gifts. This year I will only be buying people environmentally friendly gifts or experiences preferably from local businesses. I tend to get a lot of tat particularly from my husband's family but they have fallen out with people who have suggested not buying presents before so it's a difficult one. We had the conversation with my mother in law and she ended up donating to charity for my birthday. I know she probably thinks ha that'll teach her but actually I was really chuffed that she donated £50 to a charity she probably hadn't even heard of before. 

If everyone could commit to using less stuff and re-using stuff particularly clothes. They are not made to be worn once or twice.