Extinction Rebellion, Loving the farm (the future )

Crazyfool01

Ive returned from the festival and have decided to make a few changes in my life going forward and think its good to put these pledges down on paper /laptop 

1) Cutting my meat eating from 4x per week ....to 1 or 2 

2) Ive started recycling in my flat just before the festival and now 5 out of the 6 flats in my block are doing the same 

3) I won't be buying any New Clothes this year and will repair any that need it ( everyone can sew a button on !!) 

4) Im now using my water bottle at work and take in a washable box for the bakery to put my breakfast in daily 

and im also trying to make a difference in my workplace ... which had a recycling system in place but was being ignored with all the canteen and office rubbish going to landfill ... im in the process of getting this changed ... and will also be communicating with the home shopping team to reduce the use of small plastic veg bags for unneccessary veg ...(in my eyes it all is ) ......

These are all small things for me that are very achievable ..... what are you doing going forward ? lets celebrate some steps on this thread that help save the planet .... however small it may seem ...

Thanks everyone for your contributions :) 

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cheers :) hopefully everyone can make a few small steps 

Absolutely right, small steps are brilliant, none of us can do everything, there's always compromise and therefore improvement to be done x

Big time recycling in our house (We even have an extra recycling bin we recycle that much)

Try and go without a plazzy bag when I can.

Do a lot of walking instead of using the car (Handy fitness for Glastonbury)

Never leave taps running (Does that count ?)

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Not as God as some bit now shopping at Morrisons for their loose veg and paper bags. They still do a load of veg in plastic too, but it's a start and deserves support.

They and co op seem to leading the way supermarket wise ... let’s hope Asda can do some catching up :) 

Recycling is a way of life in my home. Meat eating is seldom. Not required a carrier bag for a very long time. Nearly always walk when suitable, quite enjoy a 3 or 4 mile amble when spangled. Still struggling to be waste free but will easily go beyond a month before waste bin needs emptying (helps now there's only me and Mrs mashed) . Also helped that Mrs mashed is a one woman tornado of a vegetarian planet saving wildlife loving recycling frenzy. 

Yep, she kicked my ass into shape years ago. And I love her for it. ?

I must admit I was tasked with shopping today for salad. Really struggled to avoid plastic. Spring onions where a fuckin nightmare. Why can't they be loose, or a bit of string if they want to bunch some. ?

Edited by mashedonmud

8 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Recycling is a way of life in my home. Meat eating is seldom. Not required a carrier bag for a very long time. Nearly always walk when suitable, quite enjoy a 3 or 4 mile amble when spangled. Still struggling to be waste free but will easily go beyond a month before waste bin needs emptying (helps now there's only me and Mrs mashed) . Also helped that Mrs mashed is a one woman tornado of a vegetarian planet saving wildlife loving recycling frenzy. 

Yep, she kicked my ass into shape years ago. And I love her for it. ?

I must admit I was tasked with shopping today for salad. Really struggled to avoid plastic. Spring onions where a fuckin nightmare. Why can't they be loose, or a bit of string if they want to bunch some. ?

spring onions are a frustration of mine ... we are required as part of company policy to put the loose ones in a small plastic bag at the moment as apparently they soil on them can apparently contaminate other food shopping ? !! this will probably be one of the things I question once we have gone bag free on home shopping at the end of this month ... and the fact we will still be putting meat and fish in bags ... not quite sure how the cross contamination will get through both sets of packaging ... but this is something I might have to understand better before I start questioning it 

Here's a tip with the veg - don't bother with any bags for the big ones. Broccoli, leek - even baking potatoes. You don't need bags for those, just weigh them loose and stick them straight in your big bag. You can use the self service if you're worried about the cashiers looking at you like you're mad.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Big bag

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

spring onions are a frustration of mine ... we are required as part of company policy to put the loose ones in a small plastic bag at the moment as apparently they soil on them can apparently contaminate other food shopping ? !! this will probably be one of the things I question once we have gone bag free on home shopping at the end of this month ... and the fact we will still be putting meat and fish in bags ... not quite sure how the cross contamination will get through both sets of packaging ... but this is something I might have to understand better before I start questioning it 

I buy spuds with dirt on them, loose.I buy carrots with dirt on them loose. I struggle with salad food to be plastic free, and fucking celery has plastic and dirt on them. Gotta use the market stalls and farmers markets for a better experience, IMO. ?

Edited by mashedonmud

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Here's a tip with the veg - don't bother with any bags for the big ones. Broccoli, leek - even baking potatoes. You don't need bags for those, just weigh them loose and stick them straight in your bag. You can use the self service if you're worried about the cashiers looking at you like you're mad.

Yes. Already do and like looking mad. ?

3 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

I buy spuds with dirt on them, loose.I buy carrots with dirt on them loose. I struggle with salad food to be plastic free, and fucking celery has plastic and dirt on them. Gotta use the market stalls and farmers markets for a better experience, IMO. ?

Absolutely ... it’s just the company policy I have the struggles with ... personally my shopping for this stuff goes directly into a reusable bag this is why this needs to be changed from above ... and why I will be questioning it as an online picker 

I’ve eaten less meat for several years now, at home we are 100% with the recycling efforts, we waste almost no food (And the old bread the birds get), I contribute to 3 environmental charities, I volunteer for the RSPB, I drive much much less and use public transport more than ever, etc....

....however, I still fly a lot, have a long-haul flight imminent, it’s giving me much to think about, all of the above is ok but the ultimate commitment would be to quit flying and I’m finding that very hard to contemplate. 

I've gone to meat free lunches and will look to incorporate some more meat free dinners 

Have been using cloth bags for groceries for a while but now have some smaller cloth and cloth/mesh bags for fruit and Veg,

Beeswax wraps for left over food instead of cling wrap are awesome as well.

This is such a good thread! 

People get intimidated by the thought of changing everything at once but it really is about as many people making small changes that make a big difference  both to the environment and also your health! 

I'm vegan for animal welfare reasons so what I'm eating is already pretty sustainable & I try as much as possible to go plastic free. It generally does mean going to green grocers or markets if you want no plastic on your veg which is more of an effort. I try and do plastic free months every now and again to remind myself of the things I buy and use which I don't think about on a day to day basis. 

1 hour ago, Gregfc15 said:

I've gone to meat free lunches and will look to incorporate some more meat free dinners 

Have been using cloth bags for groceries for a while but now have some smaller cloth and cloth/mesh bags for fruit and Veg,

Beeswax wraps for left over food instead of cling wrap are awesome as well.

I've heard about these and read mixed reviews - some say that the beeswax scent overpowers whatever you wrap, and they're hard to clean - scrub too hard and you remove the wax, not hard enough and they don't come clean? 

I'm probably going to order some and see for myself, but interested in your experience. 

Really great thread! 

I've been cutting down on meat for years now. Maybe have it 2/3 times a month. 

Always recycle all food waste, plastic, cans etc.

Have plenty of tote bags and can't remember the last time I used a plastic bag.

Attempt to repair everything, from clothes to appliances. Most of the time I manage it. 

Hardly ever use a car. I'm fortunate in that I live within a 25min walk to work.

Avoid plastic wrapping when food shopping by using markets, grocers.

Use refillable bottles/cups.

My gf got some biodegradable glitter for this summer's festivals, as well.

You can make a difference by making small adjustments to your lifestyle. 

12 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I've heard about these and read mixed reviews - some say that the beeswax scent overpowers whatever you wrap, and they're hard to clean - scrub too hard and you remove the wax, not hard enough and they don't come clean? 

I'm probably going to order some and see for myself, but interested in your experience. 

We've been using them for a couple of months now and I've not noticed any strong aroma from them.  Warm water and soap is good enough to clean them.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

We've been using them for a couple of months now and I've not noticed any strong aroma from them.  Warm water and soap is good enough to clean them.

Great. Do you have a mixture of sizes? I Imogene I'll need more of the smaller ones.