Jump to content
Matt87

The Rock Slot

Recommended Posts

Bringing back ALL the memories, watching this.

We drove down the night before, usually at MK Bowl you'd find a number of punters parked up in a car park and would be ok for the night despite there officially being no over night parking/camping. We got there to find no-one in sight. Spotted one car drive though a gap in a car park, followed them and there were 3 tents up. We put up our 2 tents and were later joined by 2 more. This was enough to give us confidence we were there for the night.

During the night my mate accidentally took a swig from the can he was using as an ashtray and promptly threw up. We had a great night drinking and singing with our new neighbours. 

The next morning I was woken up by the sound of security arriving. They approached one bloke who was up and about to tell him we couldn't camp here. He told them there was no way he was moving, he was pissed and was fucked if he'd drive his car. Security left, I got up and gave tent hero a can. One bloke had a guitar for reasons I still don't understand but I showed him how to play every song off Highway To Hell.

Later that morning we were joined by about 5 other tents and had aa nice little camp on the corner.

Memories of the gig are that it was damned hot, I drank lots of Budweiser (official beer of the gig), possibly more alcohol in one day than ever before in my life, we took the piss out of some Evertonians who were trying to induce a David Moyes celebratory Mexican Wave, St Jimmy was immense, lots of shouts of "England!" from Billie Joe, all in all, fucking ace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green Day would be fantastic, their 90s output is brilliant and American Idiot is a seminal album for anyone around my age. I've never seen them so would be all over it.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 1:23 AM, Matt42 said:

It’s the type of booking I’ve never really expected Glasto to make and I highly doubt they’ve considered it before.

I would personally enjoy it but I’m not really sure how many goers are big Green Day fans. I feel more GD fans took the reading, download, iow route. It would go down similar to Metallica in that a lot of goers would probably meet it with ????

They haven’t played a UK festival since 2013 right?

Dookie was massive & came out in 1993 & American idiot came out 11 years later & was also massive.

One of the few bands that 2 different generations could get nostalgic about.

I think they'd go down well. In fact I'd say people would have the time of their life to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be very happy with Alice Cooper, Greenday, NIN or Black Sabbath. All would be amazing.

Who's played the slot before? I thought Smashing pumpkins & jack white had played it, then realised they hadn't played on Friday. 

We're zz top in the Friday rock slot?

Feels like in the past there has been alot of good rock acts on the pyramid over the full weekend & this year we didn't get anything.

Edited by found home in 2009

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incubus are still touring. They were so much more interesting than the other bands from the nu metal scene with lots of funky baselines & experimental elements to their songs.

Not sure if they are mainstream enough for the slot, but would be an interesting booking that I'd definitely go along to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I'd be very happy with Alice Cooper, Greenday, NIN or Black Sabbath. All would be amazing.

Who's played the slot before? I thought Smashing pumpkins & jack white had played it, then realised they hadn't played on Friday. 

We're zz top in the Friday rock slot?

Feels like in the past there has been alot of good rock acts on the pyramid over the full weekend & this year we didn't get anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got Jack back for it, he's not likely to miss the 50th, I was surprised The Raconteurs didn't play this year although that definitely opens that up actually for next year....wouldn't be the big thing they are on about though for a rock slot. I don't think we'll be seeing anything like a stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Who's played the slot before? I thought Smashing pumpkins & jack white had played it, then realised they hadn't played on Friday. 

We're zz top in the Friday rock slot?

Feels like in the past there has been alot of good rock acts on the pyramid over the full weekend & this year we didn't get anything.

The only acts who have played it are Motörhead, ZZ Top and Royal Blood. Jack White and Smashing Pumpkins have just played a normal slot as most rock bands do, and Royal Blood had done previously. It could have been acknowledged as extinct until Emily mentioned this year about the ‘Friday afternoon metal slot’.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t realise Emily titled it the Friday afternoon slot. I was about the suggest is there any hard and fast rule that it is 3rd down pyramid on a Friday.

If it wasn’t so constrained to 3rd down pyramid I reckon the options would be much wider. Getting a heavier rock band from either a sub position to low pyramid would open up the possibilities much wider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I didn’t realise Emily titled it the Friday afternoon slot. I was about the suggest is there any hard and fast rule that it is 3rd down pyramid on a Friday.

If it wasn’t so constrained to 3rd down pyramid I reckon the options would be much wider. Getting a heavier rock band from either a sub position to low pyramid would open up the possibilities much wider.

They can, it just wouldn’t be this slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They can, it just wouldn’t be this slot.

I don’t quite get what you mean but I think putting this slot on a hard and fast rule limits the options.

I think one other headliner every year should be a heavier act. Imagine SOAD, Slipknott, Rammstein, NIN, Tool etc being given an other stage headline slot. They can bring a bit of stage production and probably get a better crowd than an early day slot on the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t quite get what you mean but I think putting this slot on a hard and fast rule limits the options.

I think one other headliner every year should be a heavier act. Imagine SOAD, Slipknott, Rammstein, NIN, Tool etc being given an other stage headline slot. They can bring a bit of stage production and probably get a better crowd than an early day slot on the pyramid.

None of those bands are ever playing a day slot on the Pyramid in the first place to be fair :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Slipknot touring U.K in 2020 what about them? They were absolutely massive when I was leaving primary and going into high school.  

I’d love it to be slipknot but their tour is Jan / Feb. Could come back I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t quite get what you mean but I think putting this slot on a hard and fast rule limits the options.

I think one other headliner every year should be a heavier act. Imagine SOAD, Slipknott, Rammstein, NIN, Tool etc being given an other stage headline slot. They can bring a bit of stage production and probably get a better crowd than an early day slot on the pyramid.

I’m saying it isn’t limiting because they don’t have to put them there. They didn’t have one this year, but Babymetal and BMTH still played main stages. Having a ‘Friday afternoon metal slot’ doesn’t mean that they have to offer a metal band either that slot or nothing - and clearly the fest doesn’t have to have it happen at all.

I do think it would be quite patronising however to approach some of those bands (Slipknot, Rammstein, Tool) with an offer to headline the second stage anyway, when they draw huge crowds to stadiums or mainstream festivals around the world when headlining. In reality you would run out of ‘heavy’ Other headliners pretty soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I do think it would be quite patronising however to approach some of those bands (Slipknot, Rammstein, Tool) with an offer to headline the second stage anyway, when they draw huge crowds to stadiums or mainstream festivals around the world when headlining. In reality you would run out of ‘heavy’ Other headliners pretty soon.

You could look at it that way yes. However I do think the current Other Stage set up is pretty underused. It’s a gigantic stage which can garner a pretty massive crowd and as we saw this year acts can bring the full shebang in terms of festival stage production!

Considering Janet Jackson was top line billing on the poster this year, I could see it working that a heavier other headliner could be booked and marketed as a headline act for the festival.

The way they market the slot to the bands they want to book is important. It could be executed pretty well. Slap The 1975 against Slipknot and you’d have a healthy divide in the crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

You could look at it that way yes. However I do think the current Other Stage set up is pretty underused. It’s a gigantic stage which can garner a pretty massive crowd and as we saw this year acts can bring the full shebang in terms of festival stage production!

Considering Janet Jackson was top line billing on the poster this year, I could see it working that a heavier other headliner could be booked and marketed as a headline act for the festival.

The way they market the slot to the bands they want to book is important. It could be executed pretty well. Slap The 1975 against Slipknot and you’d have a healthy divide in the crowds.

That’s true about the Other Stage, yes, but it’s always in the shadow of the Pyramid Stage. Maybe if they actually just started shuffling the headliners between the two it’d make sense but really, people are gonna continue seeing the Other Stage headliner as the second stage headliner much as that would be how Slipknot would be seen. Unless you are proposing that Slipknot headline the Pyramid and The 1975 on the Other? Guess you aren’t though.

To be honest, there shouldn’t be an onus for the festival to have ‘heavy’ headliners that are bands around for decades and already have massive festivals in this country to headline (and probably won’t accept the reduced fee). Glastonbury is embracing metal in its own way already, I don’t think trying to convince SOAD to play is any progressive movement for the festival.

My thoughts on the ‘Friday afternoon metal slot’ are that it’s likely to be someone like Judas Priest, Marilyn Manson, Tenacious D, Alice Cooper, etc. So someone who  - like Motörhead and ZZ Top before them - is not massive but reasonably well known and can offer a fun hour to the Pyramid crowd. If it’s someone who outranks those it’ll be Def Leppard. Certainly don’t see it being any stadium headline types throwing in an appearance, in much the same way I don’t think Elton would play the legend slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So this year's Rock Slot was Gojira on the Truth Stage.

Heavy metal band, we are talking rock slots 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, zero000 said:

The first album I ever bought. A true masterpiece; so my 11 year old self thought.

Are you me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Are you me?

Did you progress on to the "proper" music of Green Day too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Did you progress on to the "proper" music of Green Day too? 

I did, although my favourite became Good Charlotte. First band I ever saw live.

I know I exude an air of exquisite taste and refined pallet on these boards but really I'm the same dirty mosher I was all those years ago. Although I did get a hair cut for my mum eventually.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So this year's Rock Slot was Gojira on the Truth Stage.

They're a death metal band as opposed to the kind of rock we would associate with the Pyramid afternoon rock slot. There were a lot of metal bands performing in Shangri-La this year.

Lets hope Earache records return with an equally great lineup next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...