The Rock Slot

Matt87

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could AC/DC do the rock slot? I'd take them even over the Purple.

I would love to see them but I couldn't see them accepting anything other than headliner. They still sell out huge venues when they tour. 

They did once say they'd do it if asked: 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ac-dc-glastonbury-if-they-ask

1 hour ago, deadpheasant said:

4 is my dad's fave, mines Master of Reality

First four sabbath albums were the soundtrack of my schooldays along with deep purple, led zep and others such as Uriah heep (who? Says most of you!).  

Hiws about Alice Cooper for the rock slot, bit of a showman and would be fun. 

• Upvote 1

Alice Cooper would be great. He seems like a really decent fella too (based on his radio DJ stints on Planet Rock) so I’m pretty sure he’d be up for it with no major thoughts about fees, prestige, slots or any of that nonsense. He’d be out of his normal surrounds and he’d smash it to bits. 

3 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Slipknot have just announced a UK tour for 2020 :music:

Edit : Jan & Feb though ... 

I'd suggest that would put them in line to come back for the summer festivals, but would they play over here? They headlined Download this year and I'm not sure if they are a Reading/Leeds style act anymore.

If they were to do GF it would be as a novelty for them.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd suggest that would put them in line to come back for the summer festivals, but would they play over here? They headlined Download this year and I'm not sure if they are a Reading/Leeds style act anymore.

If they were to do GF it would be as a novelty for them.

I could maybe see R/L booking a suitably heavy day (ie. Getting Metallica back) but depends if Slipknot would take lower than headlining now. 

For me there's no chance of Glastonbury, it just seems like a step too far. As much as I'd enjoy it. 

59 minutes ago, Quark said:

Haven't really followed R&L for years, do I take it that the traditional Sunday rock day doesn't really happen as a given anymore?

Yeah it's not a thing. Although this years Sunday (at Reading) is an all out rock day. Main stage run of Foos, ADTR, Frank Carter, The Distillers, Shikari, Yungblud, Mayday Parade, Swmrs and Milk Teeth.

Remember seeing them at Leeds in about 2002 when Wait And Bleed was massive. Have to admit I was a little more dismissive and closed minded when it came to anything that wasn't indie back them and just watched for a bit and sneered.

Would definitely check them out properly if they were at the same festival as me, although I'm not sure when that would ever be.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Remember seeing them at Leeds in about 2002 when Wait And Bleed was massive. Have to admit I was a little more dismissive and closed minded when it came to anything that wasn't indie back them and just watched for a bit and sneered.

Would definitely check them out properly if they were at the same festival as me, although I'm not sure when that would ever be.

This is only mildly related, but if you're at a loose end you should try Corey Taylor's solo show at Koko. It's on YouTube in full, as is the 20 minutes or so of standup he does before - very funny. He goes on to cover stuff like Van Morrison, The Cure, R.E.M., Eagles & Grateful Dead. And the SpongeBob SquarePants theme. Also a stunning performance of Snuff:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Same for me - my one and only experience of them must have been at the same Leeds festival as you and i just assumed they were some sort of novelty band.

Just had a look at the lineup for that year and remembered that the Prodigy were brilliant, we couldn't be arsed to hang around for another hour and a half to see Guns and Roses and BRMC played one of my favourite festival sets ever in the NME tent.

Edited by tjamest
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tjamest said:

Same for me - my one and only experience of them must have been at the same Leeds festival as you and i just assumed they were some sort of novelty band.

Just had a look at the lineup for that year and remembered that the Prodigy were brilliant, we couldn't be arsed to hang around for another hour and a half to see Guns and Roses and BRMC played one of my favourite festival sets ever in the NME tent.

Remember going to see The Streets after Prodigy, came back to what I thought was GnR coming on stage for their encore... turns out they were just starting their set!

The current drummer in Slipknot (Jay Weinberg) is the son of E Street Band drummer Max Weinberg. This will never not be funny to me.

He also filled in for his dad and played several shows for The Boss a decade ago, when Jay was about 20.

19 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

The current drummer in Slipknot (Jay Weinberg) is the son of E Street Band drummer Max Weinberg. This will never not be funny to me.

He also filled in for his dad and played several shows for The Boss a decade ago, when Jay was about 20.

Apparently he's well better than his dad, everyone was ribbing Max when he took back over coz Jay had slayed it, particularly on Radio Nowhere. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/max-weinberg-son-slipknot/

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Apparently he's well better than his dad, everyone was ribbing Max when he took back over coz Jay had slayed it, particularly on Radio Nowhere. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/max-weinberg-son-slipknot/

That's a nice article. Really wanna see Max guest in Slipknot now.