The Rock Slot

Matt87

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I think I'm an a minority in really enjoying their album. Still listen Gunman every now and again. They hardly penetrated the public consciousness tho, don't see it myself. 

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

I think I'm an a minority in really enjoying their album. Still listen Gunman every now and again. They hardly penetrated the public consciousness tho, don't see it myself. 

Individually they’re well established names, got some history with the festival and it sounds like they’re potentially gonna be active next year.

You’re most likely right though, just seemed the best thread to link the story in :)

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

I think I'm an a minority in really enjoying their album.

Don’t think you are.

42 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Problem with TCV would be the thousands of people turning up expecting Foos/QOTSA stuff and leaving very disappointed.

I don’t see how any Queens fans would be that disappointed, given that it sounds like it could be one of their albums. And most Foos fans are just happy to see Dave Grohl I think.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Don’t think you are.

I don’t see how any Queens fans would be that disappointed, given that it sounds like it could be one of their albums. And most Foos fans are just happy to see Dave Grohl I think.

Fans would have a basic knowledge of what they’re about, I’m thinking more about the thousands of people who will just see “Dave Grohl and Josh Homme” in the programme and turn up expecting Everlong and No One Knows.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fans would have a basic knowledge of what they’re about, I’m thinking more about the thousands of people who will just see “Dave Grohl and Josh Homme” in the programme and turn up expecting Everlong and No One Knows.

I wouldn’t see it working like that at all. They’re two huge bands with lots of fans inside the gates and a new record would be pushed very heavily. It’s like saying most of the people who went to see TLSP on the Pyramid were there to hear Dancefloor.

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn’t see it working like that at all. They’re two huge bands with lots of fans inside the gates and a new record would be pushed very heavily. It’s like saying most of the people who went to see TLSP on the Pyramid were there to hear Dancefloor.

Wouldn't say it's the same at all. TLSP have a much bigger profile than TCV, in this country at least, people are far more likely to have heard of the former than the latter. Both albums charted at #1 in the UK whereas the TCV album made barely a ripple. It would need a serious push on any new album to raise awareness beyond the two leads.

Did TCV really make that small an impact? They were pretty big in my circles but I guess that was like 10 years ago now so I wasn't as aware of the bigger picture side of these things. I assumed no one talks about them now was because no one is expecting them to do anything else ever again.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn't say it's the same at all. TLSP have a much bigger profile than TCV, in this country at least, people are far more likely to have heard of the former than the latter. Both albums charted at #1 in the UK whereas the TCV album made barely a ripple. It would need a serious push on any new album to raise awareness beyond the two leads.

Dave Grohl drums in TCV, not the lead.

I think you’re misjudging this one a fair bit. Since 2009, QOTSA have gone from selling out academies to selling out Finsbury Park and Foos are still obviously huge, and JPJ does JPJ stuff I guess. All these fans have easily been able to find out about TCV, and it’s not like they weren’t prominent in 2009 or 2010 when they were doing chat shows and subheadlining Download. It really isn’t some weird niche thing that will confuse and disappoint neutrals.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Dave Grohl drums in TCV, not the lead.

I think you’re misjudging this one a fair bit. Since 2009, QOTSA have gone from selling out academies to selling out Finsbury Park and Foos are still obviously huge, and JPJ does JPJ stuff I guess. All these fans have easily been able to find out about TCV, and it’s not like they weren’t prominent in 2009 or 2010 when they were doing chat shows and subheadlining Download. It really isn’t some weird niche thing that will confuse and disappoint neutrals.

We’ll see what happens if/when they return. Personally I can’t see them being that big a draw but I stand to be corrected.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, Gnomicide said:

The last time I saw FNM was at Reading in 1990 (I think). I'd be happy to see them again but it would have to be a set heavy on the 1st 2 albums.

For reals? The two Chuck albums?

I think every album they've made with Patton on the mic is superb so I'm happy that they only have one song carried over from the first two albums - We Care A Lot, which is actually on both of those albums.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We’ll see what happens if/when they return. Personally I can’t see them being that big a draw but I stand to be corrected.

They won’t return - not soon, at least. I know it’s in the news at the moment because one of them didn’t rule out a reunion but Josh is working on Desert Sessions 11&12 and will then be back on QOTSA.

We basically just argued out a moot point but eFests gonna eFests.

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

For reals? The two Chuck albums?

I think every album they've made with Patton on the mic is superb so I'm happy that they only have one song carried over from the first two albums - We Care A Lot, which is actually on both of those albums.

I meant Introduce Yourself and The Real Thing. I'd forgotten about We Care A Lot.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They won’t return - not soon, at least. I know it’s in the news at the moment because one of them didn’t rule out a reunion but Josh is working on Desert Sessions 11&12 and will then be back on QOTSA.

We basically just argued out a moot point but eFests gonna eFests.

The eFests raison d’etre.