The Rock Slot

Matt87

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was going to doubt that, but they would have been as big as any of the 3 headliners this year. So you are probably right

Yep they are clearly big enough to headline really. They’re as big or bigger than loads of acts who have played in the last decade. They would go down well too  

I thought 2021 was a lot more likely than 2020 - but if they're back in the studio it’s definitely possible. 

Edited by strummer77

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Yep they are clearly big enough to headline really. They’re as big or bigger than loads of acts who have played in the last decade. They would go down well too  

I thought 2021 was a lot more likely than 2020 - but if they're back in the studio it’s definitely possible. 

I wonder if they are a band very much of the time though? Admittedly the Cure are hardly pushing boundaries now, but I dont get the impression the world is waiting on a new Green Day album.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wonder if they are a band very much of the time though? Admittedly the Cure are hardly pushing boundaries now, but I dont get the impression the world is waiting on a new Green Day album.

Just checked and their last album went to number 1 in the UK and (if you ignore that weird uno/dos/tres thing they did) so did their previous two. Sold out Hyde Park a couple of years back etc etc. 

9 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Just checked and their last album went to number 1 in the UK and (if you ignore that weird uno/dos/tres thing they did) so did their previous two. Sold out Hyde Park a couple of years back etc etc. 

I saw them at Old Trafford in about 2013 & that was full, but in 2017 the Manc Arena wasnt.

I'd be happy to see them headline.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw them at Old Trafford in about 2013 & that was full, but in 2017 the Manc Arena wasnt.

I think they’d be like the Killers in the sense a lot would initially be a bit underwhelmed by it but that equally a lot would be happy to catch them and they would probably go down really well.  

If they were alongside the Mac and another I think it would work. We’ll see if it ever happens though!

Edited by strummer77

It’s the type of booking I’ve never really expected Glasto to make and I highly doubt they’ve considered it before.

I would personally enjoy it but I’m not really sure how many goers are big Green Day fans. I feel more GD fans took the reading, download, iow route. It would go down similar to Metallica in that a lot of goers would probably meet it with ????

They haven’t played a UK festival since 2013 right?

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Manc arena in 2017 sold out increadibly quickly and finding a face value second hand standing ticket for manc, Leeds and London was impossible (I tried very hard). 

Considering the organisers must be well aware of how thin the well of mega headliners is these days I suppose Green Day would make sense if they fancied branching out a bit. Not quite the same change of pace headliner as Metallica were but they're still a huge band from a genre Glastonbury has generally left untapped and conversations might have been had what with your man being on site this year (for 2021 I'm assuming... not next year). Don't really see it happening myself but stranger things have happened.

As for the rock slot next year, despite thinking it not possible initially the one I keep coming back to is Def Leppard. Apart from usually being considered too big for third down the Pyramid, they tick all the other boxes - UK based and undoubtedly very aware of the festival, actively touring, an easy hour full of recognisable songs, and despite still usually being considered a headliner I suppose they could be considered a dwindling one these days who could see the benefit of an hour of exposure on the BBC.

Maybe a more obvious contender will pop up over the year with a tour announcement or something but as it stands I'll stick with them for now.

Green Day are far, far more mainstream than Metallica. Their 90s stuff still appears to be well revered and American Idiot was absolutely huge. Whilst they would be headlining based on past glories, so we're Metallica. Their recent number 1 albums shows there is still a demand there.

In an ever dwindling pool of viable, fresh headliners they've got to be given the gig at some point. Can't see them turning it down, they've done secret sets at Reading before so doubt they'd baulk at a reduced fee.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s the type of booking I’ve never really expected Glasto to make and I highly doubt they’ve considered it before.

I would personally enjoy it but I’m not really sure how many goers are big Green Day fans. I feel more GD fans took the reading, download, iow route. It would go down similar to Metallica in that a lot of goers would probably meet it with ????

They haven’t played a UK festival since 2013 right?

I think Glastonbury have shown they’ll consider all these days. Also Green Day are a lot poppier and cross over into the mainstream more than Metallica. They’re somewhere between the Food and the Killers

Don't think anybody has said Metallica are more mainstream etc than Green Day? Just that Glastonbury booking the biggest metal band in the world is a bolder move/statement than booking the biggest pop/punk band.

Tbh in their mid-00's peaks I always put Green Day and Foo Fighters side by side as two huge American stadium acts, and whilst Foos seemed to have maintained that status a little more, Green Day would probably fill a similar space at the top of the Glastonbury lineup. Doesn't seem as weird a suggestion to me as it did a few years back. If they're not willing to branch out a bit what with them having already ticked off most of the other bigg'uns (and the new headliner pool not exactly thriving) then they'll be stuck in a few years. Green Day seem like they could be a decent temporary solution to that, even if they aren't quite the powerhouse they were 10+ years ago.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Don't think anybody has said Metallica are more mainstream etc than Green Day? 

Matt asked how many glasto goers would be green day fans...

I mentioned on another thread how untypical my group are. Of our 8, we'd all be at Green Day. 1, maybe would be at Taylor Swift.... but she is obviously a bigger act who'd draw a bigger crowd.

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Matt asked how many glasto goers would be green day fans...

I mentioned on another thread how untypical my group are. Of our 8, we'd all be at Green Day. 1, maybe would be at Taylor Swift.... but she is obviously a bigger act who'd draw a bigger crowd.

Ah I getcha.

I think a big portion of Glastonbury goers would be well up for them headlining, especially those who were in their teens/early twenties around the time of American Idiots release as it was pretty inescapable at the time and they seem to still play pretty heavily from it, plus those who were in to them in their mid-90's heyday. Got an easy setlist of bangers from across their catalogue. Never gonna pull the crowds of a current mega pop star like Swift, but it'd easily be a bigger crowd than Metallica (at least from start to finish).

And like I said, as somebody who didn't see them back when they were all the rage, it'd be a great box ticker for me for a band who I'd never bother to pay to see these days but would still belt out the songs word for word, and I imagine it'd do the same for a lot of others.

I was 10 when Dookie came out. I had basket case taped off the radio...but I was nearly 14 when Nimrod was released. So As much as I liked Dookie, Kerplunk & Amnesiac - it was Nimrod that I really got into "at the time".

Weeknights:

Nimrod, Ixnay on the Hombre, Different Class & Be Here Now whilst playing Goldeneye on N64. Doesnt get more 90s than that!!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

Maybe this should be in the confessions thread but Warning is my favourite Green Day album.

Anyway, I'd be all in on a Green Day headline set. Only seen them twice before, Milton Keynes Bowl in 05 and Manc Arena a year or two later. Billy's schtick can get a bit annoying but both were excellent shows.