Sound

wingnut2711

Thought a few of the stages had some sound issues this year, mainly down to wind but some just didn't seem to have the volume.

I assume there are stipulations on volumes and bleed to other stages but do you think The Other stage and West Holts would benefit from some intermediate speaker stacks like those on the pyramid? Maybe even one set just behind the sound stage. Appreciate the fields are not quite as big so not suggesting the same scale but just something to push the sound back. 

Also wonder if they could put a couple of small stacks outside of JP and there are quite a few gigs were JP is at capacity and scores of people are outside, at least then they could have a party outside?

On the same kind of point I did think there were a lot of smaller stage battle offs this year. Was trying to catch a gig at Croissant Neuf but there was so much bleed from the bandstand directly outside and another stage near it all sounded a bit of a mess at points. 

I thought the general consensus was that the sound at most stages was very good this year?

I do completely agree about stages fighting with each other though. Sound bleed is just not something which the festival seems to be aware of or care about. It's one of my biggest annoyances these days.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I thought the general consensus was that the sound at most stages was very good this year?

I do completely agree about stages fighting with each other though. Sound bleed is just not something which the festival seems to be aware of or care about. It's one of my biggest annoyances these days.

Apologies, I probably didn't word that particularly well. The sound was good but when you're a bit back the wind deflected it quite a lot and it didn't seem to have the punch to carry it forward. Didn't mean it as a dig against the stage crews as they do an amazing job. Just feel if they had some intermediates the sound already has a bit of a head start towards the back. 

Billy Bragg at Leftfield suffered a bit with the constant thudding coming from The Glade but that was the only issue I experienced this year apart from the Shakespeare stuff but I wasn't there for long.

Adding repeaters further back would help some stages but then has a knock on to others nearby. 

Not sure if the improved sound at The Pyramid had an adverse impact but I've read a few comments that the Acoustic had particularly bad noise bleed issues this year?

thought the sound at the other was reasonably good this year (other year's it been dire). 

Massive crossovers at silver hayes venues - gully blues was at the mercy of no average groove (which i thought was a fresh fruit stall more than once)

williams green was far too loud inside the tent

on average i thought the sound was good at most stages 

51 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I can't agree with that at all.  Arena containment is something they're battling with all the time.  Basically the main advantage of the fancy Martin Audio rigs is to prevent sound bleed. One of the complaints at the Acoustic was the noise of the Pyramid crowd.  Not the performances, the crowd - that's because they've essentially solved sound bleed from the Pyramid, which has taken an extraordinary amount of effort and expertise.

Of course, there's a lot more they can do.  The problem has moved onto the smaller indoor venues not having sound sophisticated equipment or spaces they can control as well.  I'm pretty sure Stonebridge doesn't use waveform inversion for Hard AvoidTM to prevent sound spill, but they probably should look at that next.  

They do care - quite a lot in fact, because the same technology that prevents sound bleed between areas can also reduce the db level offsite, which the license is based on.  But admittedly there's a lot more that can be done.  It's just tricky.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Billy Bragg at Leftfield suffered a bit with the constant thudding coming from The Glade but that was the only issue I experienced this year apart from the Shakespeare stuff but I wasn't there for long.

Adding repeaters further back would help some stages but then has a knock on to others nearby. 

Not sure if the improved sound at The Pyramid had an adverse impact but I've read a few comments that the Acoustic had particularly bad noise bleed issues this year?

The repeaters at W Holts helped with containment this year, rather than the other way around.

8 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

The sound for foals at the park was quite bad 

This. I was to the left of the access platform.

The Other stage seemed to suffer a bit too. Chems seemed very quiet from where I was standing, yet when I was back at the tent during the day, most bands came through pretty clear.

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't agree with that at all.  Arena containment is something they're battling with all the time.  Basically the main advantage of the fancy Martin Audio rigs is to prevent sound bleed. One of the complaints at the Acoustic was the noise of the Pyramid crowd.  Not the performances, the crowd - that's because they've essentially solved sound bleed from the Pyramid, which has taken an extraordinary amount of effort and expertise.

Of course, there's a lot more they can do.  The problem has moved onto the smaller indoor venues not having sound sophisticated equipment or spaces they can control as well.  I'm pretty sure Stonebridge doesn't use waveform inversion for Hard AvoidTM to prevent sound spill, but they probably should look at that next.  

They do care - quite a lot in fact, because the same technology that prevents sound bleed between areas can also reduce the db level offsite, which the license is based on.  But admittedly there's a lot more that can be done.  It's just tricky.

The soundbleed from Stonebridge is horrendous. They really need to address it. 

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why is the focus on speaker technology? Why don't they just not put so many stages so close to each other?

There was noticeable soundbleed from the spaceport into the glade main stage this year but apart from that I thought sound was better this year, especially on the other stage. West Holts was immense again this year, like a force of nature during Jon Hopkins.

The Cure were the only thing I saw at the Pyramid this year but the sound was absolutely fcking amazing. I felt like I could lean a hand out and actually grab the bass in the air, it was that thick and resonant. Though admittedly the Cure are a bit leading on the ol’ bass, and I was watching it with two bass players so I was super-open to it ?? (that sounds so w*nky muso, but it’s true) 

Edited by balti-pie

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

The Cure were the only thing I saw at the Pyramid this year but the sound was absolutely fcking amazing. I felt like I could lean a hand out and actually grab the bass in the air, it was that thick and resonant. Though admittedly the Cure are a bit leading on the ol’ bass, and I was watching it with two bass players so I was super-open to it ?? (that sounds so w*nky muso, but it’s true) 

That's funny, as I thought they sounded quite 'tinny' from where I was , albeit nice and loud!

Echo thoughts about the chems- they were very quiet, and have been noticebly so at other festivals I've seen them at which is strange

In very basic terms I’d assume that if you’re actually in one of the smaller venues the sound will be fine and you won’t suffer sound bleed. The problem with Glastonbury is that a lot of venues have about double the capacity they’re meant for, so if you’re on the outskirts the sound will be shit and you’ll hear other venues.

Putting an act like the streets on JP is to all intents and purposes pointless for those outside the tent, but naturally the crowd will be way bigger than it’s designed for.

I think you just have to accept that unless you’re in the venue it will be shit, and certainly if your passing between venues sound bleed will be inevitable and unavoidable.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I thought the sound levels were pretty great this year, and only really had to whinge about the Glade thumping over the quiet bits at the Other and Stonebridge managing the same near the Park - those venues need a bit of a rethink IMHO. Sustaining the Glade at that size and volume isn't really a thing while acts are on the Other.

Was waiting to comment on this thread as we got our noise levels properly tested for workplace safety at one venue last week. Grazed in 2dB below the limit (83.2 aeq and 99.3 peaking) and we're mostly quieter than the festival as it's a very different environment. It's all good and fine wanting your eyeballs shaking but without everyone in earplugs you're just hurting people or yourself - it's better having it this way for everyone, go stand in front of the stacks/subs if you want really want that.