no Big Red Tent

eFestivals

12 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Yes I spotted that on the map yesterday. 

And the Radio three stage is now named something else. 

It's been called the 'Ecotricity' stage for a while now Ian. 

I'm guessing that it'll still be the Big Red Tent, they'll just move the D&B Soundscape into there and get rid of the tent that was in.  They've been playing around with that for a few years too.

I only went last year for the first time and the Radio three stage was here right?

7EB5548B-D110-47EA-8B1B-CBA71124B648.thumb.jpeg.03cd74bd53cb5ecc9c1fb7a57fad5f2a.jpeg

Looking at the map graphics I’d say the big red tent is there, but now combined with the sponsors d and b with their amazing surrounding sound system. 

Is dropping the stage a Brexit / Budget reason?

026CD899-7D11-45FF-8E5E-C24220491BA8.thumb.jpeg.6b8fe619117fa89ca191af5b74a5b193.jpeg

12 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I only went last year for the first time and the Radio three stage was here right?

7EB5548B-D110-47EA-8B1B-CBA71124B648.thumb.jpeg.03cd74bd53cb5ecc9c1fb7a57fad5f2a.jpeg

Looking at the map graphics I’d say the big red tent is there, but now combined with the sponsors d and b with their amazing surrounding sound system. 

Is dropping the stage a Brexit / Budget reason?

Ah, well, that's been called the Charlie Gillett stage since he died.  But yes it is the Radio 3 Charlie Gillett, my mistake I thought you meant the stage n the Arboretum. :)

I feel there are less acts per stage this year  is this right?  And some are not starting till 2 or 3 pm  is this a reduced quantity????

Take the Friday line up for example.....

Main stage      5 bands from 1pm

Siam tent          6 bands from 2pm

Charlie Gillett   5 bands from 2 pm

Ecotricity           4 bands from 3pm

D and B              6 bands from 1pm

I checked 2018 vs 2019:

Friday line up

•                                    2018         2019
  • Main stage                  5                5
  • Siam tent                     6                6
  • R3 Charlie Gillett        5                5
  • Ecotricity                     5                4
  • D and B                        6                6 
  • Big Red Tent               5                0
  • Total                           32              26

Down 18%

Edited by ian the worm

Yes, and it is not just the quantity! I am feeling rather disappointed. I've bought day tickets for Sat on the strength of the Klezmatics, and assumed there would be lots of other interesting stuff. Just checked through the lineup, and it seems heavily slanted towards indie/rock, with virtually none of the genuine ethnic stuff I was hoping for. I expect it will still be a nice day out, but not special, as it was in the past. On a previous visit, we discovered the extraordinary Violons Barbares. Sad to see nothing of that quality this year. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, eFestivals said:

Uh? :blink:

I can't say I'm hugely familiar with the acts on the bill, but had a decent listen to the official playlist at the weekend and I can't remember there being any rock or indie at all.

Yeah. 

Going for the first time and I wouldn’t really count any bands I’ve heard as indie or rock. Dhafer Youssef is about as non indie as it gets! 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, Robby93 said:

Yes, and it is not just the quantity! I am feeling rather disappointed. I've bought day tickets for Sat on the strength of the Klezmatics, and assumed there would be lots of other interesting stuff. Just checked through the lineup, and it seems heavily slanted towards indie/rock, with virtually none of the genuine ethnic stuff I was hoping for. I expect it will still be a nice day out, but not special, as it was in the past. On a previous visit, we discovered the extraordinary Violons Barbares. Sad to see nothing of that quality this year. 

I hope that's not true. It's going to be my first WOMAD, and I was looking forward to some interesting sounds, as opposed to the boring tripe you get at a lot of festivals ? 

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

I hope that's not true. It's going to be my first WOMAD, and I was looking forward to some interesting sounds, as opposed to the boring tripe you get at a lot of festivals ? 

Don't worry - it definitely isn't true. You'll see a huge variety of music from all over the world spread across a number of stages of various sizes. May sure you see some bands in the arboretum, it's lovely on a sunny afternoon and even better at night.

I hope you enjoy your first Womad.

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

check out the official playlist, it'll put you right. There's lots of interesting.

Shame about the big red tent tho. Not sure the small blue tent is going to be large enough for stuff like Saving Grace. :( 

• 2 weeks later...