NOS Alive 2020

21 minutes ago, moz4pm said:

That's me out. Been 4 times but time to try something new. Can anyone recommend any other European festivals. Been to mad cool and o'pener before. Both terrible festivals

I've been to Rock Werchter many times and also InMusic. Both very nice festivals! This year Rock am Ring/I'm Park has a good line up so far. 

Even if you don't like Billie/Taylor it's an impressive start imo. There are all the names to be announced and we always say "it's not all about the headliners"... 

I'm hopeful in this edition. 

And Billie Eilish isn't mentioned as headliner (like VW last year :) ). She could fit in a coheadline structure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moz4pm said:

That's me out. Been 4 times but time to try something new. Can anyone recommend any other European festivals. Been to mad cool and o'pener before. Both terrible festivals

Rock for People looks interesting next year. Strong first announcement and they usually do pretty good job in booking interesting new names. It's mid size festival, quite comfy and with cheaper prices than Portugal

https://www.rockforpeople.cz/en/

1 hour ago, moz4pm said:

Sziget takes some beating. You need serious stamina for it tho....but it’s a bargain, loads going on, decent amount of space. Plus Budapest is one of the nicest cities in Eastern Europe.

• Upvote 1

I feel dirty. Just bought 3-day passes. I was shocked to hear the 2 recent announcements and am gambling seriously on them having some decent acts on Nos and Sagres stages to make up for those terrible announcements.

Quite a gamble really. Last year bought them before any announcements and was rewarded with The Cure, Pumpkins, Grace Jones and Johnny Marr amongst many others which were great.

My expectations are low at this point, particularly when they have blown so much budget on two horrendous acts. 

We can but hope 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, moz4pm said:

Primavera Sound Barcelona is by far the best festival in Europe. 180 euros if you buy now the ticket (only 20 more euros than Nos Alive) and it has a lot of music, 5/6 artists playing at the same time across more than 5 stages, and Barcelona is a terrific city, I love it.

I´ve been also to Reading Festival, more poppy than Primavera but of course very great festival also, best crowds I´ve ever seen, english crazy.

And here in Portugal you have Nos Primavera Porto, my favorite festival in Portugal. 

Always has NOS Alive down as a festival I would like to visit and was on my shortlist for next year, disappointing that it is only September and I can already rule out a visit!

@visdave34 Lowlands is another that has caught my interest. Would you mind if I sent you a private message with a couple of questions on it?

13 hours ago, visdave34 said:

Lowlands. You’re welcome. 

2 hours ago, LeFreak said:

@visdave34 Lowlands is another that has caught my interest. Would you mind if I sent you a private message with a couple of questions on it?

Sure, ask away. Although I should add that 2017 was the last time I went. Planning to return in 2020. 

Edited by visdave34
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:43 AM, Tremousse said:

I regret parties in the camp til 7am which were canceled this year, and DJs in the pool.

Was 2019 the first year without this? Returned this year after 2016 and the lack of anything going on in the camp was really a bummer.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, alan_ts said:

I'm hopeful in this edition. 

And Billie Eilish isn't mentioned as headliner (like VW last year :) ). She could fit in a coheadline structure. 

Ah the optimism! And I see you mastered the "let's hope for another headliner until it doesn't happen" game too!

There might be a strong sub, but I'm certain Billie will be the biggest name on that day.

This can still turn out to be a good lineup, but it doesn't look particularly good at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, clasher said:

Was 2019 the first year without this? Returned this year after 2016 and the lack of anything going on in the camp was really a bummer.

Ah the optimism! And I see you mastered the "let's hope for another headliner until it doesn't happen" game too!

There might be a strong sub, but I'm certain Billie will be the biggest name on that day.

This can still turn out to be a good lineup, but it doesn't look particularly good at the moment.

The big question mark - in my opinion - is "how big they value / they want to sell Billie Eilish as an headliner?". Last year she was emerging, this year she goes straight for the podium, but is she like "the weak headliner every edition has, supported by a strong co-" or is she totally able to handle the top of the bill on her own?

Because looking at the cost of the ticket of Billie Eilish at I-Days in Milan (50 to 75 €), I'd say that the agent is selling her as a stand-alone headliner for festivals like NOS, so yeah, maybe the third headliner could be even "weaker", at least in term of budget spent.

My idea is that part of this forum undervalue the perceived value of this name in the current festival circuit. Not talking about tastes or values, just how much the managements value Billie Eilish as a name on a bill.

Billie Eilish is by far the hottest new pop name in the world, most streamed, soldout arena level shows all around the world, somewhere even stadiums already. Not going into personal taste, who like what and why, but she is a stand alone headliner right now. She is massive. She will not co-headline with another artist i believe. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, clasher said:

Well, imagine a scenario like this:

Main - - > rock band, Billie Eilish

Sagres - -> good indie/synth-pop band or whatever 

Am I too optimistic or it could be a possibility? You can skip Billie Eilish and save your day ;)

9 hours ago, clasher said:

That's why we all are here - hoping for another headliner while suffering PTSD from last year 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan_ts said:

Well, imagine a scenario like this:

Main - - > rock band, Billie Eilish

Sagres - -> good indie/synth-pop band or whatever 

Am I too optimistic or it could be a possibility? You can skip Billie Eilish and save your day ;)

Could be, but the "rock band" will be the size of Primal Scream, not Foo Fighters.

I'd actually love to see Billie. Taylor not so much, but both are objectively very worthy headliners. It's the combination of both and the seemingly very pop-ish direction of the festival that worries me. The 1975 would be the final nail in the coffin.

3 hours ago, young_contra said:

That's why we all are here - hoping for another headliner while suffering PTSD from last year 

Foals will do NOS 2020 ?

2 hours ago, clasher said:

Could be, but the "rock band" will be the size of Primal Scream, not Foo Fighters.

In the last 3 years they had combo like:

The Smashing Pumpkins / The Chemical Brothers 

The XX / The Weeknd

The National / QOTSA

Jack White / Pearl Jam

Depeche Mode / Imagine Dragons

So yes, I'm confident it could be a good lineup ;)

16 hours ago, activean said:

I would be worried more about thousands of teenagers being there just for Taylor/Billie killing the festival vibe than lineup, if they manage to booked two most streamed females at the moment with huge solo tours .. there will be more for sure ?

I wouldn't say that Nos has that much of a festival vibe in the first place to be worried about it being killed! Lots of people standing round chatting at all the way down to the barrier for some bands!