NOS Alive 2020

9 minutes ago, graceunderpressure said:

I am convinced that the main reason it was announced today was because green day and soad have announced and linked and they knew it would piss so many people off, and interaction between those delighted and those annoyed would be massive (which it is !) . Their marketing campaign is either amazing or terrible depending which way you look at it . I remember the post with a month to go last year . Random "happy vibes" posts and every comment was slating them . Hopefully the next two announcements will be better than this !

Me too buddy. According to my musical tastes I'm afraid this next year will be pretty disappointing for me but I'm hoping still that each festival manages to pull off the best lineup they can. The Strokes are not my biggest interest but if I could have both Foals (which I BEGGED for this year) and them I'll be happy!

Edited by young_contra

57 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Why will 2020 be a difficult year for every festival in Europe?

Rock in Rio year here in Portugal, more competition for festivals here in Portugal, Rosklide Festival 50 year anniversary plus 2020 is like a turning page on the calendar so I expect something like 2018 when festivals everywhere had superb lineups (Mad Cool, Primavera, Nos Alive) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

Could we expect some hip hop headliner for the last day? Da Weasel are a hip hop band so it would be logical to put a hip hop headliner on that day so if Nos Alive can bring Taylor Swift they can easily put hop hop headlner on the last day. 

I'm hoping we can't.

i see your disappointment, but it's not like nos alive ever cared about music really. if they can sell out their tickets they will try to do it, either that means bringing radiohead, pearl jam or taylor swift. if they can afford it they will take it.

also, talking about pop music, they had the weeknd in 2017. 

honestly, SOAD would be more surprising to me because in the last years they never had a more "metal/more agressive rock or whatever" or even, as you were talking now, an hip-hop/rap headliner, they always tend to a big indie-rock-pop-ish headliner and that's it, so SOAD would be a strange direction.

Taylor Swift was probably the last artist I could think of as a headliner for Nos Alive. I am quite surprised how they were able to book an artist with such high booking fee and such an outside genre. The Weekend and Sam Smith were the only pop headliners they previously had before

I guess they wanted to take Sziget's route last year of booking a big pop artist like they did with Ed Sheeran to boost up the sales. Also, Taylor Swift is also Nos Alive's first female headliner. (besides the XX), so they might have wanted to take Primavera's route as well.

Nos Alive's tickets will sold out quite fast if their ticket prices stay around the same price range as last year. I don't think Mad Cool will book her as well since they were not in the same announcement.

3 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Taylor Swift was probably the last artist I could think of as a headliner for Nos Alive. I am quite surprised how they were able to book an artist with such high booking fee and such an outside genre. The Weekend and Sam Smith were the only pop headliners they previously had before

I guess they wanted to take Sziget's route last year of booking a big pop artist like they did with Ed Sheeran to boost up the sales. Also, Taylor Swift is also Nos Alive's first female headliner. (besides the XX), so they might have wanted to take Primavera's route as well.

Nos Alive's tickets will sold out quite fast if their ticket prices stay around the same price range as last year. I don't think Mad Cool will book her as well since they were not in the same announcement.

I don’t know if it would lead to selling out the festival quickly. Maybe day tickets would sell well but would the average taylor swift fan buy a 3 day ticket based on her being booked. I think she’s awful and if her day is full of pop, then it’s hardly worth travelling from here for two better days, if that turns out to be the case. 

Very disappointing. Last year we booked off the back of The Cure alone, then we had the shambles of the lineup announcements taking forever. This year gonna wait and see what lineups are around before booking anything.

57 minutes ago, moz4pm said:

Very disappointing. Last year we booked off the back of The Cure alone, then we had the shambles of the lineup announcements taking forever. This year gonna wait and see what lineups are around before booking anything.

I’m in the same boat. Like the set up of the festival, really like Lisbon and the weather, but I’m not going if TS is the type of thing they’re going to be booking 

I can understand that Taylor Swift might not be your cup of tea, but having her headlining your festival, while it is her very first festival tour at all is a very big deal to me. As of now my festival plans for 2020 are Hurricane and Rock Werchter, where Taylor is already ruled out and I would have loved to see her live next year, but it is what it is.....

If NOS will end up like Taylor, Strokes, Tame Impala, Billie Eilish,  Liam Gallagher, Foals etc ....that seems like a gut mixture to me

35 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I can understand that Taylor Swift might not be your cup of tea, but having her headlining your festival, while it is her very first festival tour at all is a very big deal to me. As of now my festival plans for 2020 are Hurricane and Rock Werchter, where Taylor is already ruled out and I would have loved to see her live next year, but it is what it is.....

If NOS will end up like Taylor, Strokes, Tame Impala, Billie Eilish,  Liam Gallagher, Foals etc ....that seems like a gut mixture to me

I’m fortunate that I can probably go to the festival that suits my taste. Costs will be similar regardless. As much as I enjoy NOS and Portugal, I’ll happily go to Mad Cool or back to RW if it has a line up that suits me and my mates.  I’m not going to go to NOS if the line up isn’t for me. If they go pop I’ll simply go elsewhere 

As a Portuguese this sucks!

Taylor Swift would fit in Rock in Rio or even Sudoeste, or would fill Pavilhão Atlântico on her own. Why book her for our only alternative rock festival in our capital? Even more, knowing that with a good set of headliners for Rock, they would sold out all the tickets anyway...

They did it so many times. 

When I saw an announcement by our mainstream radio (Radio Comercial), I suspected something in line with Coldplay, maybe Imagine Dragons or even Green Day. Would be fool to think Radio Comercial to announce SOAD when their public consist mainly of pop/main stream fans. But never expected them to take the full pop route. 

I can't even see them booking rock artists that we were expecting in the same day of Taylor Swift. 

I understand last year card, except missing The Strokes, cause there were not many artists on the road. But this is just spending a great slice of their budget in something that doesn't fit.  

Now I really don't know what to do. Tickets will be on sale at the end of the month (btw, 160€ for 3 days if I recall correctly), and I really want to watch DaWeasel (I know that watching portuguese shows may be boring for some of you, but they always gave great gigs when they were together, still remember them outshining completely Red Hot Chilli Peppers when I was young). Probably will buy a ticket for Saturday and wait to check the rest of the card.

15 hours ago, graceunderpressure said:

I am convinced that the main reason it was announced today was because green day and soad have announced and linked and they knew it would piss so many people off, and interaction between those delighted and those annoyed would be massive (which it is !) . Their marketing campaign is either amazing or terrible depending which way you look at it . I remember the post with a month to go last year . Random "happy vibes" posts and every comment was slating them . Hopefully the next two announcements will be better than this !

They announced yesterday because Taylor Swift was announcing a load of things at once, including her own shows in the US.

Swifty must be taking a good chunk out of Nos's budget. Will this result in lesser (cheap) acts to follow?.

Really enjoyed my first Nos experience this year - dispite the line up. Was looking to go back next year and hopefully see a bigger and better line up. TS is massive but not for me. May have to look elsewhere. Anyone recommend a similar,friendly,value for money European festival in the sun like Nos? Looking at Open'er festival at the mo

5 minutes ago, NOS newbie said:

Swifty must be taking a good chunk out of Nos's budget. Will this result in lesser (cheap) acts to follow?.

Really enjoyed my first Nos experience this year - dispite the line up. Was looking to go back next year and hopefully see a bigger and better line up. TS is massive but not for me. May have to look elsewhere. Anyone recommend a similar,friendly,value for money European festival in the sun like Nos? Looking at Open'er festival at the mo

Probably Sziget (not so cheap anymore tho), Primavera and Mad Cool

4 hours ago, NOS newbie said:

Opener's first headliner is also Swift and I'm afraid it's becoming more and more pop/rap oriented each year.

7 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Reckon more ageist, if we are being specific and playing the 'ist' card ;)

I don't like her either. 

You're right but my point was still understood. Music is music, regardless of the age of its creator. Its enjoyment sure is subjective but to base that subjectiveness on someone's age...

• Like 1