Camp Fires

shuttlep

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah there were the infamous gas canister and portaloo fires from, what, 15 years ago now I think at least, usually after the end of the fest on Sunday. I think they've largely been stamped out by the organisers now though (excuse the pun).

someone I knew was killed by an exploding gas canister at Stonehenge in (I think) 84. :( 

'Someone died' was part of the reasoning the govt put forwards for stopping Stonehenge the next year.

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah there were the infamous gas canister and portaloo fires from, what, 15 years ago now I think at least, usually after the end of the fest on Sunday. I think they've largely been stamped out by the organisers now though (excuse the pun).

Lol.. 

I worked as a fire steward at Beautiful Days one year. A group near my tower found it hysterical to pour lighter fluid on their tent and set it alight. They would then laugh their socks off as it burnt off just as we arrived. However after the third or 4 time it actually took. It was starting to look like a big puddle of a tent by the time we arrived with the fire extguishers. 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, bombfrog said:

There seem to be a lot of people on here who think it's easy to set fire to a tent, or that it ever happens. It's quite bizarre.

There's a lovely video here fo some firefighters testing old style tents vs new ones. They basically had to start a fire IN the tent to get them going. Once they did the old style one went up fairly quickly (although not so quickly that you couldn't get out of it) but the modern tent wouldn't catch fire, despite the fire actually being IN the tent.

I'm wondering if anybody can give me a real world example of this ever having happened at Glastonbury despite thousands of fires being started every year?

I would be reluctant to deduce all modern tents take ages to burn based upon a video showing 1 type of modern tent being difficult to ignite.

There's also things like sleeping bags to take into account when escaping from a tent fire as well.

Edited by Johnnyseven

22 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I would be reluctant to deduce all modern tents take ages to burn based upon a video showing 1 type of modern tent being difficult to ignite.

Well they all have to meet the same set of regulations (thanks EU) so I'm happy deducing that, as do the sleeping bags.

• Upvote 1