Camp Fires

shuttlep

Why are people still talking as if fires were banned when they weren't?

I thought the little paths and campsite hubs were a great idea and should be expanded. Bring back some of that magic - loved finding random campsite art installations

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Why are people still talking as if fires were banned when they weren't?

I thought the little paths and campsite hubs were a great idea and should be expanded. Bring back some of that magic - loved finding random campsite art installations

I certainly didn't say they were banned. I merely said it was porbably like they didn't put the wood out due to extra dry and windy conditions. I don't think it's going to be banned but it was a very dry year. 

We had a camp fire every night when people arrived back at our tents (6-7am), though we did take our own bags of wood, didn't notice any firewood for sale on site though.

Camp fire usually tend to attract the weird and the wonderful over, but I guess we where to early in the morning this year, only had the pleasure of one pingered up campsite wonderer this year.

Whilst I agree sitting around a campfire is a really nice and relaxing way to end a night I am a little apprehensive of them in such close proximity to tents.  I'm glad they took the decision to remove the free wood so those who did have fires came prepared for it and knew what they were doing. With it being so dry and windy all it would take is for a group of slightly merry folk to think a fire would be nice, lets use this free wood to start one in this little space between our tents. I hate to think what would happen if a tent caught fire, they burn so quick and with the conditions this year there could have been a disaster.

There seem to be a lot of people on here who think it's easy to set fire to a tent, or that it ever happens. It's quite bizarre.

There's a lovely video here fo some firefighters testing old style tents vs new ones. They basically had to start a fire IN the tent to get them going. Once they did the old style one went up fairly quickly (although not so quickly that you couldn't get out of it) but the modern tent wouldn't catch fire, despite the fire actually being IN the tent.

I'm wondering if anybody can give me a real world example of this ever having happened at Glastonbury despite thousands of fires being started every year?

Edited by bombfrog

13 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

There seem to be a lot of people on here who think it's easy to set fire to a tent, or that it ever happens. It's quite bizarre.

I'm wondering if anybody can give me a real world example of this ever having happened at Glastonbury despite thousands of fires being started every year?

Spot on.

It's all very Jeremy Vine show with the old lady on the phone congratulating herself for going to scream at the boys jumping off the pier because "someone will die one of these days!" just before saying she's been doing it for thirty years and it's not happened yet.

Evidence counts more than worry.

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

Spot on.

It's all very Jeremy Vine show with the old lady on the phone congratulating herself for going to scream at the boys jumping off the pier because "someone will die one of these days!" just before saying she's been doing it for thirty years and it's not happened yet.

Evidence counts more than worry.

CATS! Maybe cats in gangs....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bombfrog said:

There's a lovely video here fo some firefighters testing old style tents vs new ones. They basically had to start a fire IN the tent to get them going. Once they did the old style one went up fairly quickly (although not so quickly that you couldn't get out of it) but the modern tent wouldn't catch fire, despite the fire actually being IN the tent.

I can't give a real world example of an outside fire starting a tent fire, but have seen one tent go up in flames very rapidly at Glastonbury. Fortunately the owners of the tent were outside the tent. The cause was the, presumably under the influence, owners using a gas stove. I don't know, but suspect that they managed to knock it over against the tent (old school tent) and the burner was right against the material of the tent and it went up. 

So, not quite on subject, but does raise the question as to why people feel safe without an outside fire next to them, when their neighbours could be pissed up and using a gas burner, which they could knock against one's tent etc

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can't give a real world example of an outside fire starting a tent fire, but have seen one tent go up in flames very rapidly at Glastonbury. Fortunately the owners of the tent were outside the tent. The cause was the, presumably under the influence, owners using a gas stove. I don't know, but suspect that they managed to knock it over against the tent (old school tent) and the burner was right against the material of the tent and it went up. 

So, not quite on subject, but does raise the question as to why people feel safe without an outside fire next to them, when their neighbours could be pissed up and using a gas burner, which they could knock against one's tent etc

Fair enough, in answer to your last question though, same reason I don't worry about other unlikely events happening. We'd never leave the house if we worried about every 1 in a million chance happening, we'd certainly never get in a car, or play sport and we'd certainly never smoke or take drugs, that wold be absolute madness.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Fair enough, in answer to your last question though, same reason I don't worry about other unlikely events happening. We'd never leave the house if we worried about every 1 in a million chance happening, we'd certainly never get in a car, or play sport and we'd certainly never smoke or take drugs, that wold be absolute madness.

I'm with you all the way, so far. However, I really can understand why some people would be frightened to have a fire near their tent. I have a friend who worked with someone whose son died in a tent fire. He was a broken man after that, apparently. Not sure how that fire started though, but that kind of thing has got to be at the back of your mind when you are next to strangers having a fire near the tent area. You will know that you have no knowledge of the kind of people that they are, or their sense of responsibility. 

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm with you all the way, so far. However, I really can understand why some people would be frightened to have a fire near their tent. I have a friend who worked with someone whose son died in a tent fire. He was a broken man after that, apparently. Not sure how that fire started though, but that kind of thing has got to be at the back of your mind when you are next to strangers having a fire near the tent area. You will know that you have no knowledge of the kind of people that they are, or their sense of responsibility. 

Yeah I do agree, it is normal for people to be scared of things that are statistically unlikely, I have a totally paralysing fear of flying which is completely unfounded, but I've seen plane crases on TV so I know it happens, my brain just can't accept the maths.

41 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Yeah I do agree, it is normal for people to be scared of things that are statistically unlikely, I have a totally paralysing fear of flying which is completely unfounded, but I've seen plane crases on TV so I know it happens, my brain just can't accept the maths.

Just wondering - do you still travel by air, despite the fear? That must be Scary Mary territory, if you do. Strangely enough, I never used to have a fear of flying - as in, at all. However, the last few times flying, I've felt a little nervous. That's odd really, because my worst fear is for me to die before my wife, or my wife to die before me. Given that we always fly together, a bit of a plane crash would, technically, be a bit of a result!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just wondering - do you still travel by air, despite the fear? That must be Scary Mary territory, if you do. Strangely enough, I never used to have a fear of flying - as in, at all. However, the last few times flying, I've felt a little nervous. That's odd really, because my worst fear is for me to die before my wife, or my wife to die before me. Given that we always fly together, a bit of a plane crash would, technically, be a bit of a result!

I wasn't scared of flying until after university, I went through a period of not flying, then a period of trying everything under the sun, hypnotherapy, diazepam etc. to stop it. Then my dad told me a friend had taken a flying lesson to cure himself so I tried that. Ended up studying for a PPL and flying solo in a little Piper PA28. It helped hugely and although I still hate it I've done quite a few trips to America now.

Anyway, apologies to everyone else for the thread Hijack.

Shit! Bombfrog, don't use words like hijack, you know it puts you on edge....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Hmmm...

2000 - South Park right next to the hedge on the north side of the field. Came back to find 3 tents completely destroyed and the tent next to ours just a bit melted. Had that one gone up mine would have gone to o because it was touching.

1 hour ago, musky said:

Hmmm...

2000 - South Park right next to the hedge on the north side of the field. Came back to find 3 tents completely destroyed and the tent next to ours just a bit melted. Had that one gone up mine would have gone to o because it was touching.

That's rather lucky/unlucky, particularly as it's unfortunate that I think that's the only such incident I've heard someone talk about directly. I know more people who've been flooded out

We saw a fire the first night we arrived in I think it was 2016. Sure it was in Darble as we made our way from the coaches. It looked like the couple had been cooking in the porch and it caught fire. Loads of smoke (not sure if it was their cooking skills). anyway they were not far from the staff camp and remember waving at them as we were laden down with our gear. 

Remember passing by the same tent going home and noticing some plastic bags and a lot of gaffer tape and most importantly their lives intact

No purpose to this take other than sometimes people are fucking idiots. 

12 hours ago, frostypaw said:

That's rather lucky/unlucky, particularly as it's unfortunate that I think that's the only such incident I've heard someone talk about directly. I know more people who've been flooded out

Certainly the only time I can recall any sign of a tent fire at Glastonbury. A couple of years back I did read on here that some tents were burnt after a lantern came down, but I’ve no idea if there was any truth to it. 

21 minutes ago, musky said:

Certainly the only time I can recall any sign of a tent fire at Glastonbury. A couple of years back I did read on here that some tents were burnt after a lantern came down, but I’ve no idea if there was any truth to it. 

ill ask my boss who was a firefighter at the festival how many times how many tent  fires he actually attended at the festival ... I remember the worst incident he said was a bus teetering on the edge of some camping ... not sure where this was on site or if it ever made the news 

15 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I wasn't scared of flying until after university, I went through a period of not flying, then a period of trying everything under the sun, hypnotherapy, diazepam etc. to stop it. Then my dad told me a friend had taken a flying lesson to cure himself so I tried that. Ended up studying for a PPL and flying solo in a little Piper PA28. It helped hugely and although I still hate it I've done quite a few trips to America now.

Anyway, apologies to everyone else for the thread Hijack.

Shit! Bombfrog, don't use words like hijack, you know it puts you on edge....

That's just awesome.  Talk about facing your fears head on!

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Ive seen burned out tents over the years but these were all stove and even candle fires that started within the tent.

Reading and Leeds are imfamous for the kids burning their tents and basically everything they had left.. I was there one year and got right pissed off.. As I was a bit pissed I went around in me army boots stamping out the fires getting shouted at because some twats had even left gas canisters in the fires.. 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, bombfrog said:

Yup, seen it many times, back in the day when fires used to be waaaaay more common (just about every group had one). At a guess they would have all been pre-1995.

Back then the campers were much more mixed in with the festival so they'd be more walking past tents, so more opportunity to see it.

I don’t want to wait for Glastonbury tent fires and then a reactive move to stop campsite fires.  I’d rather people didn’t have them where tents are such closely packed together.  Avoid the risk if you can imo.

I just head to the woods which has a lovely fire going.  If any of you haven’t been I recommend it. I’d like more organised fires around the site like they have in the woods (pic from 2017)

AF450868-8FF2-4605-B1F3-C112671E1CD0.jpeg

3 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Reading and Leeds are imfamous for the kids burning their tents and basically everything they had left.. I was there one year and got right pissed off.. As I was a bit pissed I went around in me army boots stamping out the fires getting shouted at because some twats had even left gas canisters in the fires.. 

Yeah there were the infamous gas canister and portaloo fires from, what, 15 years ago now I think at least, usually after the end of the fest on Sunday. I think they've largely been stamped out by the organisers now though (excuse the pun).