Camp Fires

shuttlep

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

6) Drones - I guess that's a safety issue?

Even this one is just a case of making things clear rather than a new rule.

Well before drones became available at a consumer level, their use would have already been banned under the statutory instrument that's implemented every year (and has been for I think at least the last 20) that creates a substantial exclusion zone around the site for all types of air traffic. The law requiring drones also states that you can't operate them within 150 metres of a crowd so even without the SI that effectively would rule out the entire site.

18 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

1) Gazebos - that's a camping space issue. I mean, the real issue is people are bringing bigger tents, or extra tents for gear/storage/toilets/showers. But either way, the fields are getting busier. I can see the same argument being used to stop fire - a safe fire needs as much space as the average gazebo.

Lol, my argument against the Gazebo ban was always that it didn't take up any extra space because it went under the gazebo (perfectly safe according to the fire crews before anybody gets on their high horse), but you're right, if you're going to ban gazebos for space reasons then you might as well ban fires for the same reason.

Anyway, I'm not really going to argue any of the individual points as they all have their reasons, but collectively it's all a bit bloody sensible, isn't it? 

There are clearly some people on here for whom staying up all night in the naughty corner and spending no time at camp is perfectly fine, some people even come on their own, but for some people the communal aspect of spending some time camping with their friends who they don't get to see much outside the festival, sitting round a campfire, talking about what they've seen that day etc, is (or was) a big part of the festival experience and when you start banning gazebos, fires etc. and basically making the campsites somewhere just for sleeping you remove a huge part of the festival experience for some people. For those people it makes the experience worse so you have to ask yourself for whom do the rules make the festival better?

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

when you start banning gazebos, fires etc. and basically making the campsites somewhere just for sleeping you remove a huge part of the festival experience for some people. For those people it makes the experience worse so you have to ask yourself for whom do the rules make the festival better?

But it's not to do with being sensible, but with space. As you say, capacity hasn't gone up in ages, yet the fields are more and more full every year. These rules make the festival better for the people who otherwise wouldn't have anywhere to put their tents, I imagine!

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

And yes, I know I am this guy....

Dv8DHwAWwAI9SEl.jpg:large

I once went to the World Conker Championships, many moons ago now. There wasn't much health and safety going on in those days - everybody was on the lash - competitors and the general public. And there were Morris Dancers there too, who'd had a fair bit to drink. As a quirky British held event, I'd recommend it to anybody.

I know that this post is off subject, but I just had to come out with it, in a Tourette's kind of manner.

We had a bag of those natural firelighters with us, just in case of a soggy/damp wood (fnarr) situation - and the bag was on top of our trolley - as we were approaching security some wifey (defo some kind of steward - but off duty I reckon) said to me - you'll want to hide those as they arent allowed this year.

First I'd heard!!

I spoke to a lad at a gate at the back of the other stage field where the wood seller used to be and he said they werent allowed this year either.

My gut feeling - either H&S gone mad (48 festivals and never a serious issue - apologies if thats not strictly true - but I'd never had an issue) or my mate thought it might have been a whole "green" thing about smoke levels (doubtful....but you never know).

But I did notice a reduction in the number of stewards "fire towers" around the campsite this year - which does lend weight to them being banned?

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But it's not to do with being sensible, but with space. As you say, capacity hasn't gone up in ages, yet the fields are more and more full every year. These rules make the festival better for the people who otherwise wouldn't have anywhere to put their tents, I imagine!

I think that's the motivation but I think the reality is that nobody doesn't get a space, they just have to go further out than they would like, there's always plenty of space on the aerial pics.

Another factor is that they keep putting things like Cineramageddon and Glastonbury on Sea in spaces previously used for camping. Now, I'm nto saying those are bad things. I had a look round Cineramageddon this year and it's very impressive, and I know there will be people who would say we're better off with those things than more camping space, but for some people the camping experience might be more important. I certainly think that blaming people with gazebos and campfires for the (perceived) lack of space is a bit rich.

3 hours ago, incident said:

Even this one is just a case of making things clear rather than a new rule.

Well before drones became available at a consumer level, their use would have already been banned under the statutory instrument that's implemented every year (and has been for I think at least the last 20) that creates a substantial exclusion zone around the site for all types of air traffic. The law requiring drones also states that you can't operate them within 150 metres of a crowd so even without the SI that effectively would rule out the entire site.

Except for the Red Arrows, though perhaps they were above the altitude described in the exclusion?

27 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Except for the Red Arrows, though perhaps they were above the altitude described in the exclusion?

Or they had the authority of the Chief Officer of police for Avon & Somerset (see rules for 2016 festival below);

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/470/pdfs/uksi_20160470_en.pdf

41 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Surprising that A&S would have jurisdiction over airspace, but fair enough. Flyover looked like a decision made on route however rather than the product of a flight plan submitted weeks before or whatever. Anyone know how these things work?

No idea. However, I'm surprised that the legislation for 2016 (and presumably any other year) doesn't mention military aircraft as having Carte blanche to fly over, if they so wish. Maybe there's other legislation that allows them to do this.

I bought six packets of some thing called Mystic Fire(available at well known internet shops) , it's a colour adderent mainly copper sulphate. It makes a fire burn both a blue and green flames. Very pretty and very trippy. I took a bag out each night and sprinkled then at the communal fires at Stone Circle, Glade and Tow & Hitch.

Edited by malcombe
Poor grammar
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pauladam said:

We had a bag of those natural firelighters with us, just in case of a soggy/damp wood (fnarr) situation - and the bag was on top of our trolley - as we were approaching security some wifey (defo some kind of steward - but off duty I reckon) said to me - you'll want to hide those as they arent allowed this year.

First I'd heard!!

I spoke to a lad at a gate at the back of the other stage field where the wood seller used to be and he said they werent allowed this year either.

My gut feeling - either H&S gone mad (48 festivals and never a serious issue - apologies if thats not strictly true - but I'd never had an issue) or my mate thought it might have been a whole "green" thing about smoke levels (doubtful....but you never know).

But I did notice a reduction in the number of stewards "fire towers" around the campsite this year - which does lend weight to them being banned?

First you'd heard because it wasn't on the festival's list of banned items:

Screenshot_20190712-190115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c951860315c8e1482b94822d9ca06fe3.jpg

Nothing on their news feed leading up that anything like that would have been restricted either. 

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I still don't believe there's any proof of a ban, other than a temporary one due to wind at the start of the festival.

Aye. Over-zealous stewarding on the firelighters, less obvious firewood piles strewn about, and more people out smashing it instead of lugging firewood about.

EDIT : and tbh the limited piles of firewood are probably as much down to demand as anything else. If they're seeing fewer campfires around the site in general, why go to the effort of making piles if wood that no one wants 

Edited by Quark

The crew camping in Oxylers had massive fires each night in their section.

Fire and festivals go hand in hand, nothing binds people like plonking yourself in front of a random fire for a few hours and chatting away to strangers. Honestly been some of my most memorable moments in the past.

42 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

How did the wedding proposal banner towing plane get round the airspace ban?

They probably got permission.. it's about controlling all air traffic in the area rather than a blanket ban.

This year I didn't realise there was no free wood or that the stall at the back of other stage wasn't there, because none of my usual campmates got tickets, so no campfire this year. It would be a shame if we couldn't again. For all I love a communal campfire, it is nice to meet up with your group at the end of the day/morning and have a natter around your own campfire. I think if any of us were too spangled to look after a fire then surely we'd be too spangled to light it in the first place. Lets hope it was just down to the ridiculously hot and good weather we had. Given the options I'd take good weather/no fire any time.

I'm not convinced that there is a ban. Campsite stewards stopped at ours at a couple of times and we were never asked to put it out. I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of wood for sale was down to the cost of buying a pitch at the festival. 2017 and the guy selling at The Other Stage had bags of the stuff left on the Sunday. They are not as popular as they once were which is down to so much going on after the main stages close and people generally not going back to their tents then 

Edited by Digi

Haven't read the whole thread but we had a fire in our bbq bucket. We had those light the paper fire logs that last a few hours and we collected fire wood from outside the Oxfam by the park. It was there on the first night so doubt it would of lasted long. Didn't see any other camp fires but ours and the fire stewards came twice to 'talk' to us about our fire which was tiny. They were very twitchy about it. I hadnt been since 2010 and was a bit gutted to not see people round a fire. Remember when they used to have them at the stages?