Camp Fires

shuttlep

Right, so I get the feeling you think I am not being serious with what I post?

So, in your opinion, do you think it is a good idea that people pissed and fucked on drugs should be allowed to start a bonfire in a bone dry campsite with loads of highly flammable tents in close proximity to each other, with lots of drunk, possibly incapacitated people asleep in them?

1 minute ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So, in your opinion, do you think it is a good idea that people pissed and fucked on drugs should be allowed to start a bonfire in a bone dry campsite with loads of highly flammable tents in close proximity to each other, with lots of drunk, possibly incapacitated people asleep in them?

You are assuming that everyone is on drugs and everyone is irresponsible.

we have had fires every year, never set fire to a tent , never started a fire. there is nothing soppy about keeping warm and having a chat with your friends at the end of the night. 

• Upvote 2

We brought loads of those smoke free logs & had a fire most nights round the tents - security came over a few times just to check it wasn't unattended or by anyone inacapable - they just asked we keep it a bit away from tents and put it out before we crashed out for the night. It's a big part of the Glasto experience for us so we were glad we all brought wood & logs with us

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

1/10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know that in Spring Ground and JP staff camping that they were banned at the request of the fire crews.  Whether that was just this year due to weather/congestion or a new policy I don’t know. 

Spring Ground had it’s communal fire but people asked not to have their own 

Its not glasto without a campfire. Think its a sign of the health and safety gone mad world that we live in these days that the fires are dying out.  

29 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Its not glasto without a campfire. Think its a sign of the health and safety gone mad world that we live in these days that the fires are dying out.  

No it's not.  It's a sign that Glastonbury actively lays out far more for people to go and do after dark than they used to, so you get back to your tent at stupid o'clock and pass out instead of sitting up chewing the fat. And also that the campsites are more crowded so there's less space for fires.

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So, you're saying that you don't know how to start a fire safely and look after it like an adult? Are you allowed to use sharp objects or are they taken away from you for your own safety?

1 hour ago, Quark said:

No it's not.  It's a sign that Glastonbury actively lays out far more for people to go and do after dark than they used to, so you get back to your tent at stupid o'clock and pass out instead of sitting up chewing the fat. And also that the campsites are more crowded so there's less space for fires.

Maybe a good point about space. Got there at 4 on weds this year and had to squeeze into SP 2.

Saying that tho we had a nice spot for a fire.

Was there any free piles of wood amywhere? 

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

First there was "no space" for gazebos, now no space for fires? I take it nobody who agrees with that has ever looked in Pylon Ground at the busiest point if the festival!

There hasn't been an increase in capacity for many years.

Except although there's been no increase in capacity in what, five years, Pylon is *loads* busier than it was five years ago.

And you'd struggle to find a safe spot for a fire in Pennards or Big Ground. Guess you could allow fires in just certain fields?

Is it my imagination or did they try a community campfire thing in some camping fields a few years ago - Pennards maybe?

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Except although there's been no increase in capacity in what, five years, Pylon is *loads* busier than it was five years ago.

And you'd struggle to find a safe spot for a fire in Pennards or Big Ground. Guess you could allow fires in just certain fields?

Is it my imagination or did they try a community campfire thing in some camping fields a few years ago - Pennards maybe?

I think that would be a fair policy, if you want to camp in the busier central fields then no campfires. I'm going to be honest though, we're getting to the point where our group is seriously thinking of going down the campervan route because all the rules are getting a bit much, I still absolutely love the festival and wouldn't consider not going  but it does feel a bit like they're trying to suck the fun out of it a bit.

14 hours ago, bombfrog said:

So do you think it was deliberate, or just an oversight?

I assumed the firewood stall just didn't want to come back for whatever reason and the free stuff was used for the chippings, just a coincidence rather than a policy but you never know. Would be good to get an answer before next year.

Soz late reply but Yea... First of all after boomtown fire I don't reckon any festival wants fires everywhere...... I know boomtowns was in a car park...... And second as I said we as did everyone burnt everything.. Turning out the bins ect so imagine all that shit going up.. 

Best thing for a fire nowadays is those off the ground ones or better still go see sawdusty and get the candles he makes.. 

But def a good thing imo.. 

At the risk of soundling like one of those old "elf and safety gone mad" types who I hate, at what point do we stop banning everything even mildly fun because there's a miniscule chance something bad might happen? Unfortunately it's things like this that give some credibility to those Daily Mail types.

50 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Maybe a good point about space. Got there at 4 on weds this year and had to squeeze into SP 2.

Saying that tho we had a nice spot for a fire.

Was there any free piles of wood amywhere? 

Didn't see any, but didn't have my eyes open for it tbh. 

With the limited space I do think the Swedish log candle-style things are probably a better option as they're more controlled. End of the day you've got to work with what you've got .

I remember tying to get a fire going up at the circle the first year I went with some shitty damp logs we picked up from a petrol station on the way in. Jesus that was hard work, smoky as hell and by the time we finally got it going everyone was ready for bed :lol:

Reckon the wind would have been a problem with fires in campsites this year - blowing all the embers onto tents. That said, I saw nothing about banning ground fires, though the wood pile at the bottom of muddy lane wasn't there this year so I think they just made the call not to put it out. On top of that, it was warm enough not to need one really and I genuinely think many think they are banned as they are at just about every other festival (excepting raised fire cauldrons in some cases). That with the fact discussed here at length before that people are out all night these days and not hanging around campsites, I saw none in Big Ground at least. Saw a number of them around Stone Circle at one point where flares were still being sold and people were expanding these into fires as they came to the end.

19 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

At the risk of soundling like one of those old "elf and safety gone mad" types who I hate, at what point do we stop banning everything even mildly fun because there's a miniscule chance something bad might happen? Unfortunately it's things like this that give some credibility to those Daily Mail types.

What has Glasto banned because bad things may happen? Things I can think of being banned the past ten years:

1) Gazebos - that's a camping space issue. I mean, the real issue is people are bringing bigger tents, or extra tents for gear/storage/toilets/showers. But either way, the fields are getting busier. I can see the same argument being used to stop fire - a safe fire needs as much space as the average gazebo.

2) Flares - that one probably is a safety thing, though arguably fireworks have always been banned so it's more of a clarification than anything else.

3) Non-biodegradeable glitter - environmental reasons

4) Chinese lanterns - they would fall on farmland and hurt the animals - so I guess technically you could call that safety.

5) Nitrous - it's now illegal and caused a huge litter problem

6) Drones - I guess that's a safety issue?

7) Pablo Honey

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What has Glasto banned because bad things may happen? Things I can think of being banned the past ten years:

1) Gazebos - that's a camping space issue. I mean, the real issue is people are bringing bigger tents, or extra tents for gear/storage/toilets/showers. But either way, the fields are getting busier. I can see the same argument being used to stop fire - a safe fire needs as much space as the average gazebo.

2) Flares - that one probably is a safety thing, though arguably fireworks have always been banned so it's more of a clarification than anything else.

3) Non-biodegradeable glitter - environmental reasons

4) Chinese lanterns - they would fall on farmland and hurt the animals - so I guess technically you could call that safety.

5) Nitrous - it's now illegal and caused a huge litter problem

6) Drones - I guess that's a safety issue?

7) Pablo Honey

You can't even shoot up in the Tiny Tea Tent anymore. Madness