Camp Fires

shuttlep

my group was totally gutted that we couldn't have a camp fire this year, it is something we look forward to . coming back to camp and sitting around the fire swapping stories of who we had seen.

i didn't really find out why we couldn't have them this year, did anyone else hear why we couldn't? 

Me too, I don't think they were banned, there was just no wood for sale or for free.

I spoke to the camsite crews and they said they were looking for it too, they'd had to bring their own in from off site. They certainly didn't mention a ban.

Sitting round the campfire at 2am is also a ritual that's part of our group's Glastonbury. It was sorely missed this year and we often go our separate ways during the day so I saw less of my group this year. I really hope they sort it out for next year.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Me too, I don't think they were banned, there was just no wood for sale or for free.

I spoke to the camsite crews and they said they were looking for it too, they'd had to bring their own in from off site. They certainly didn't mention a ban.

Sitting round the campfire at 2am is also a ritual that's part of our group's Glastonbury. It was sorely missed this year and we often go our separate ways during the day so I saw less of my group this year. I really hope they sort it out for next year.

Exactly, it was always great to catch up have a laugh and keep warm,

when we got back this year, all just went to bed as it was too cold

10 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

my group was totally gutted that we couldn't have a camp fire this year, it is something we look forward to . coming back to camp and sitting around the fire swapping stories of who we had seen.

i didn't really find out why we couldn't have them this year, did anyone else hear why we couldn't? 

Were you actively stopped by stewards, or just couldn't find/get hold of the wood?

3 minutes ago, joeltg said:

This thread just made me realise, I didn't see any on site this year? 

None up at the peace garden in stone circle, or any dotted around...perhaps I just missed them. 

Definitely some about we stopped a few. Tipi field had its massive one going and there was some in the green fields 

20190630_223151.jpg

39 minutes ago, joeltg said:

This thread just made me realise, I didn't see any on site this year? 

None up at the peace garden in stone circle, or any dotted around...perhaps I just missed them. 

There were a couple of 'official' bonfires in the Woods area, and also in some of the Greenfields and tip fields, I think.

I saw a couple of people with those Swedish candle things in my camping field, Wicket, and the campsite crew also had fires, but in fire pit type things. I'm off camping this weekend. Can't wait to get my fire pit going - first one of the year. Hopefully, it doesn't rain the entire time.

The only place we found selling wood was a guy in the tipi field. My son didn't come until Thursday night so by the time we found it I had made him lug a bag of logs on site as it's a big part of our festival to sit around the fire at night all talking about who we've seen whilst having a few beers. We had one every night bar Wednesday and were never asked to put it out ?

47 minutes ago, Digi said:

The only place we found selling wood was a guy in the tipi field. My son didn't come until Thursday night so by the time we found it I had made him lug a bag of logs on site as it's a big part of our festival to sit around the fire at night all talking about who we've seen whilst having a few beers. We had one every night bar Wednesday and were never asked to put it out ?

lol. End of the day you can never have enough wood :)

I think that it is just another way the festival is changing.. We used to burn everything but now don't seem to have the need.. In a way I think it is better not breathing in all the shit plus it's more chip to put on the paths.. 

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I think that it is just another way the festival is changing.. We used to burn everything but now don't seem to have the need.. In a way I think it is better not breathing in all the shit plus it's more chip to put on the paths.. 

So do you think it was deliberate, or just an oversight?

I assumed the firewood stall just didn't want to come back for whatever reason and the free stuff was used for the chippings, just a coincidence rather than a policy but you never know. Would be good to get an answer before next year.

21 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

So do you think it was deliberate, or just an oversight? ...

I'd say catering to a minority.  So, deliberate, yes. 

I think the future for fires is "bring it in yourself" (aside from a token bit of wood which is gone by Tuesday, to satisfy the ticket comment of "includes firewood").  It's not a "no", but more of "if you can carry it in, knock yourself out".  Because, from a statistical point of view, most people won't bring it in, so the risk is reduced.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

So do you think it was deliberate, or just an oversight?

I assumed the firewood stall just didn't want to come back for whatever reason and the free stuff was used for the chippings, just a coincidence rather than a policy but you never know. Would be good to get an answer before next year.

When I cycled around the site a couple of days before the security lockdown there were the usual huge piles of firewood prepped and ready. If they weren't there when the festival opened I can only assume they were removed because of the very dry conditions. 

Not a bad move IMO. The place was a tinder box.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
Typo

If it was done for safety reasons (as in a one off reason rather than just decideing fires are dangerous) then fair enough. I would be happy to bring my own as we come in a van but it would be good to clarify that they're not going to stop us with it at the gate. I'm only taking about a few of those orange bags full, enough for an hour or so each night so hopefully it'll be fine. This is all assuming we get tickets of course.

A fire in the middle of a campsite with tents everywhere is a risible idea, hopefully you do know that tents very easily burn, right?

Its people like the OP that would encourage some battered knobhead to start a fire in the middle of Pennards Hill. Great idea!

Why would you want a soppy camp fire anyway? You are no longer 12 years old and in the cub scouts, if you want to carry on the party get yourself over to the South East corner where the festival has conveniently scheduled music and entertainment until around 7am. If you are a bit weird and dont like raving until the morning, then im sure you'll find a fire at the Stone Circle.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

6 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

A fire in the middle of a campsite with tents everywhere is a risible idea, hopefully you do know that tents very easily burn, right?

Its people like the OP that would encourage some battered knobhead to start a fire in the middle of Pennards Hill. Great idea!

Why would you want a soppy camp fire anyway? You are no longer 12 years old and in the cub scouts, if you want to carry on the party get yourself over to the South East corner where the festival has conveniently scheduled music and entertainment until around 7am. If you are a bit weird and dont like raving until the morning, then im sure you'll find a fire at the Stone Circle.

2/10

25 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I never thought I'd agree with one of your posts. I'm going to have a word with myself.

For me, a fire has three issues: (a) tents are flammable and with spirits, hand sanitiser (have you tried it on a fire!) and people the worse for wear, not a brilliant combo; (b)  Smell; (c) keep me up all night worrying about (a).

Never understood it - fab for Stone circle and elsewhere, but next to my tent - sorry, it's a no from me.