Bon Iver 2020

zeppelin

4 hours ago, DL50 said:

Very surprised that they haven't played in recent years tbh.

Surely they have to be back again sometime soon?

Completely agree that Other Stage headline is the only place for them. Pyramid sub would be a waste, similar to the National in 2017

I could totally see them being booked as a pyramid sub though and it falling on its arse.

The pyramid sub slot is the worst slot of the festival though. It’s the trickiest slot to pull off successfully. 

A lot of people who won’t give a fuck about bon iver will see the set as a perfect time to have a chat over a beer.

Actually, I think it was only fans of The National who were bewildered by the run of unreleased material. Those who didn't know anything (and there were many) knew better. In fact I've heard many neutrals say they thoroughly enjoyed the set.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

We need to stop saying The National died in 2017 because of the slot, as if it's a poisoned chalice. They died because of themselves. They had every chance to hit a home run and instead struck out by running through four or five brand new songs in a row. It wasn't their first time on the farm either, so the novice card is out the deck as an excuse – all around still a baffler.

Bonny Bear should get Other though, agreed.

Couldn't agree more with all of this

15 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

We need to stop saying The National died in 2017 because of the slot, as if it's a poisoned chalice. They died because of themselves. They had every chance to hit a home run and instead struck out by running through four or five brand new songs in a row. It wasn't their first time on the farm either, so the novice card is out the deck as an excuse – all around still a baffler.

Bonny Bear should get Other though, agreed.

They alluded to the fact they played too many new ones in an interview a few months later. 

Their set selection is normally on point, but they got G17 very wrong. 

18 hours ago, jyoung said:

Actually, I think it was only fans of The National who were bewildered by the run of unreleased material. Those who didn't know anything (and there were many) knew better. In fact I've heard many neutrals say they thoroughly enjoyed the set.

yep, newbies I had with me thought it was great, Matt in particular.

it's also one of these myths on here that gets ramped up over time, that The National died on their arse. Looking through the thread afterwards, most people thought it was good, just not as good as they can be, due to the setlist choice obviously.

Sea of Love

Fake Empire

The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

Walk It Back

Guilty Party

Day I Die

I Need My Girl

England

Bloodbuzz Ohio

Mr. November

Terrible Love

Turtleneck

System... was already out at that point, so it was Walk It Back, Guilty Party, The Day I Die, as well as Turtleneck (*shudder*) at the end that were unreleased.

17 hours ago, SighMo said:

Thought The XX nailed the sub role in 2017. That was a cracking afternoon/night at the Pyramid I was there from midday to midnight just about. Never went near it for the rest of the festival though.

Acts like The xx are good in this slot as they get people dancing a bit with some upbeat tunes, similar to Tame Impala and Vampire weekend, so it doesn't matter if people don't know the tunes that well, they can enjoy it enough while they wait for a headliner. (plus those 3 have a decent bit of mainstream radio airplay).

Acts like The National, Beck, Nick Cave and Bon Iver aren't really going to get the barrier hangers or the blanket brigade grooving, so they're just going to stand around looking bored.

stick them on the Other and leave the Pyramid sub for Radio 1 fodder like George Ezra, Pharrell, Liam Gallagher etc.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Acts like The xx are good in this slot as they get people dancing a bit with some upbeat tunes, similar to Tame Impala and Vampire weekend, so it doesn't matter if people don't know the tunes that well, they can enjoy it enough while they wait for a headliner. (plus those 3 have a decent bit of mainstream radio airplay).

Acts like The National, Beck, Nick Cave and Bon Iver aren't really going to get the barrier hangers or the blanket brigade grooving, so they're just going to stand around looking bored.

stick them on the Other and leave the Pyramid sub for Radio 1 fodder like George Ezra, Pharrell, Liam Gallagher etc.

I kind of agree, but Nick Cave absolutely smashed that sub slot in 2013. I was down the front and it was electric.

The National were very meh in 2017 but I don't really like that album much and actively dislike Turtleneck.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, TheNewUnion said:

Bon lver is playing NOS Alive this weekend, I'm going to check him/them out. I suspect it might be pretty good, I also think it'll need to happen in the dark or will lose impact. Playing at 21:20 here, so we'll see. 

First half of the set was pretty good, ran out of steam later on. Impressive musical feat though, albeit one which became a bit "background music" as it wore on. Left after about 1 hour to go to watch Marina (of and the Diamonds fame) and she was a lot of fun to watch, very danceable.

I am almost always wrong about how a band will "go over" but on this occasion I think Bon Iver would be a pretty bad sub, but with an engaged crowd they would be a good other stage headliner.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Just me who thinks Jelmore might be the best of the new songs?

And that this album could top 22, A Million (currently his best album, by the way).

Huge fan of Jelmore, but reckon we're in the minority. 

Really hoping for some tour date announcements, if it's anything like 22AM they'll be announced around the time of the release of the album so fingers crossed.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:59 AM, TheNewUnion said:

First half of the set was pretty good, ran out of steam later on. Impressive musical feat though, albeit one which became a bit "background music" as it wore on. Left after about 1 hour to go to watch Marina (of and the Diamonds fame) and she was a lot of fun to watch, very danceable.

I am almost always wrong about how a band will "go over" but on this occasion I think Bon Iver would be a pretty bad sub, but with an engaged crowd they would be a good other stage headliner.

We were there at NOS too, waiting through Bon Iver set for the Smashing Pumpkins to come on. Rarely seen such a disengaged crowd, and it did sound like background music except for the occasional bit of patter between songs, became a borefest  to be honest, and I quite like his stuff.

No doubt would go better at Glastonbury but wouldn't see them as headline for either of the big two stages. Sub Other? 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Saw Bon Iver at Nos Alive. Not a fan, but it really didn't work on a big stage as a headliner. Not the right type of music/energy at all.

Surely this just depends on whether you like the act though? And as you've said, you're not a fan. People say the same about the likes of the National, Radiohead and the Cure (including the latter two's recent Glasto headline sets which we mostly agree were fantastic) and it tends to be because they aren't fans and have just gone to see what the fuss is about. Couldn't this be said about any act that isn't high energy? I don't think it has to be a party to be a great experience on a big stage as a headliner personally.