Festival Loves :)

Crazyfool01

I love the fact you can take as much booze in as you want, and not have to spend a penny at the bar.

Also, the laughably lax drug searches are brilliant, I never have to worry about being caught with my stash.

Finally, up until this year, I loved how easy it was to break in. As of this year this isn't strictly true, but still there is always a way.

• Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

This is the anti future of thread ... what does the festival do well that you would never want to change ? for me its the awesome creativity and touches like  this  that do it for me 

Oh my these bins are beautiful, and I hope they never change the small touches such as the bins, or the posters, the sticker boards and the general artwork that is around the site, its all the small touches that make a massive difference, that and camping without an arena and taking in own alcohol etc

5 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh my these bins are beautiful, and I hope they never change the small touches such as the bins, or the posters, the sticker boards and the general artwork that is around the site, its all the small touches that make a massive difference, that and camping without an arena and taking in own alcohol etc

Did you get a photo of your bins (f'nar) FF?

I love the creativity that goes into everything, the whole site is just a huge work of art, everywhere you look someone has made something amazing, be it a huge venue, an interesting archway into another field, a massive rave tree that snow comes out of, whatever..  I spend so much time just wandering and taking it all in... thats definitely my favorite thing about Glastonbury.

They have those painted bins at Boomtown, then on Sunday night, because they turn off the music at midnight to ensure there arent too many fucked up people trying to drive home on Monday, everyone goes to the woods and bangs them until 6am until they are all smashed up :rofl: 

Edited by jimbarkanoodle

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

The small touches...

At Glastonbury on sea, the metal work which was on the pier has the Glastonbury on sea logo on it... whilst that in itself isn't too exciting, it's the minute details like that which I appreciate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-48770680

Yes the tiny touches that maybe only a few people notice always amaze me like the Fussball table on the pier where all the figures were painted so that it was clowns vs zombies. 

I love that they do charity bins so that you can contribute to a worthwhile cause and the creativity of the festival. 

I love the tolerance of the Eavii, that Michael  a dairy farmer allows people to put up posters and signs attacking the dairy industry, that he allows so many people who clearly think differently to him to come on his land. 

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Also great that so many vegans can turn a blind eye to the fact the festival takes place on a working dairy farm. 

To be fair, if they couldn't, they'd rarely attend any festival again. Nearly all camping festivals use pastoral land, at least in part.

I love that nobody is there to judge anybody else and everybody is in the same boat, there seems to be a sense of camaraderie and people are happy talking to each other. Doesn’t matter what you do outside of the festival fence because for those 5 days you’re free.  

• Upvote 4

So much.

The absence of corporate sponsorship and big-name brands (I make an exception for the Co-Op given their company structure, history etc)

The distinct feel of each area as they're all curated separately. 

The fact that it's a place where performers, 'slebs and the like potter around with the rest of us and enjoy themselves without them being the focus. Add on the fact that the Eavii pop up regularly as well and have time for a chat.

The continuous little changes and improvements they keep trying every year. I mean, a bloody pier?!

The love that goes into things like the bins, the artwork on the big wall by JPT and the walk from PGA.

The way it's policed based on safety as the primary focus.

The social and environmental messaging.

The way that, if you can be arsed to carry it in, you could feasibly manage 5 days without spending a penny if you were so inclined.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This year was a goddamn belter.  Didn't really see much that needed fixed.

That's the beauty though Calgon.  They seem to see ways to change and improve it that don't "need" to happen, or that we'd even think of!

Edited by Quark

29 minutes ago, UEF said:

The improving quality of food

There was some right shite when I first went. 

If you give a damn about the food served up at Glastonbury, you are doing it all wrong.

You shouldn't be able to eat most of the time, and when you do, just get any old shit that fills a hole.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

37 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

If you give a damn about the food served up at Glastonbury, you are doing it all wrong.

You shouldn't be able to eat most of the time, and when you do, just get any old shit that fills a hole.

Each time I've gone, I've done Glasto a different way. To each their own. 

I really dig that they have random good quality and value food, even if I have to force myself to eat something