West Holts 2020

CaledonianGonzo

Would love to see Khruangbin back and slightly higher up the order. Behind Radiohead they were my highlight of 2017. Every year there seems to be one band (almost always on West Holts) that I watch early in the day and I instantly get the smile on my face and in the right mood for the rest of the day because they get it as well and in 2017 Khruangbin were just that. This year it was the Mauscovic Dance Band, super way to start the Friday!

On 7/10/2019 at 9:42 PM, gigpusher said:

Lauryn Hill herself was a victim of that for me. I kind of wish there was some BBC footage of it so I could see what it was like. I suspect like Janet Jackson probably not as bad as people are describing. 

I think it kind of depends on your expectation levels.  There were some lush arrangements by some very talented musicians to be sure.  The biggest problem was her being so obvious distracted throughout the set (by monitoring issues).  It meant that the performance came across as nervy, and she never achieved a sustained connection with the audience.

There was a lot of good will at the start of the set, but you could feel it slowly evaporating away as time went by and she seemed to have more and more wasps in her monitoring earphone.

However, it did rally somewhat - most notably during the Killing Me Softly finale, but to a certain extent during the couple of tracks leading up to that.  Not a complete disaster by any means, but very disappointing all things considered.

btw - there is some bbc footage online. 

Aye - he shouldn't have to go that route, but Erasure still shift tickets. They sold out the Usher Hall and the Corn Exchange last couple of times they came through town.

Banarama at the Avalon was a definite step down from the early Pyramid slot they'd probably have had if Siobhan was still in the band.