West Holts 2020

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Another victim of the Lauryn Hill clashterfuck.

Lauryn Hill herself was a victim of that for me. I kind of wish there was some BBC footage of it so I could see what it was like. I suspect like Janet Jackson probably not as bad as people are describing. 

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Lauryn Hill herself was a victim of that for me. I kind of wish there was some BBC footage of it so I could see what it was like. I suspect like Janet Jackson probably not as bad as people are describing. 

I was right in the field and I don't know how bad Lauryn Hill was, so crap was the sound.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was right in the field and I don't know how bad Lauryn Hill was, so crap was the sound.

Wow! Wonder if it was just spotty like the Rolling Stones we left because we couldn't hear but others said it was fantastic. Position can be a big thing at Glastonbury sometimes, 

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I was at the back of the pit for L Hill & to the side, waiting to get into the pit for the last 20 mins or so of JJ.

JJ was bloody awful.

Lauryn Hill - Where I was, the sound was fine. She was a bit up and down. The main issues for me were: How pissed off she seemed. Angry at everyone. Definitely at someone or people to her left. The set culminated in 1000s of people singing Killing me softly back to her, but she seemed pissed off by that.  "I'm not here for that". 

2nd issue, lots of people didnt know much of the set. They came for doo wop, and fugees stuff. As I left I heard someone moaning she didn't do Ready or Not.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was at the back of the pit for L Hill & to the side, waiting to get into the pit for the last 20 mins or so of JJ.

JJ was bloody awful.

Lauryn Hill - Where I was, the sound was fine. She was a bit up and down. The main issues for me were: How pissed off she seemed. Angry at everyone. Definitely at someone or people to her left. The set culminated in 1000s of people singing Killing me softly back to her, but she seemed pissed off by that.  "I'm not here for that". 

2nd issue, lots of people didnt know much of the set. They came for doo wop, and fugees stuff. As I left I heard someone moaning she didn't do Ready or Not.

Having watched JJ on the iPlayer she was exactly what I would have expected which is why I was at Lizzo instead. She's never had the strongest of voices but she did a lot of her hits and her dancers were pretty good. I'm not saying she smashed it by any means but I suspect the amount of abuse she took from people before she turned up made her regret the booking and it was probably just a commitment she wanted to get out of the way.  She gave an average JJ performance. 

I know Lauryn Hill is only touring for money and is notoriously unreliable as well which is again why I wasn't there. As I mentioned before the festival this was my most clash-tastic festival ever and one of my key deciding factors was do they get Glastonbury?, will they be up for it and want to do their best? I don't think that applies to either Lauryn Hill or Janet Jackson which is why I wasn't there. For the record it's a pretty good way of making decisions as I saw some wonderful acts who were so happy to be there and moved (to tears in some cases) Their passion for the occasion definitely puts their performances up a notch. 

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

For the record it's a pretty good way of making decisions as I saw some wonderful acts who were so happy to be there and moved (to tears in some cases) Their passion for the occasion definitely puts their performances up a notch.  

That to me is what meant IDLES set was an all timer. You knew how much it meant to them.

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

That to me is what meant IDLES set was an all timer. You knew how much it meant to them.

And the reason I wasn't at Lauryn Hill. It's why I saw Grace Petrie and Kate Tempest. The first time I saw Kate Tempest at the Rum Shack she was absolutely in awe of the crowd and had a little cry. Cut Capers at Avalon was similar. They were so up for it!! 

37 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Damian Marley is well overdue. 

the guy who's in charge of Silver Hayes recently took over a had-closed-down (in)famous Bristol pub, and had a surprise Damian Marley performance for the re-opening.

I think Damian was in the country at the time for something else, but even so. If he can be got for that then surely he can be got by Glasto?

Edited by eFestivals

53 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Ooh, that would be a great booking (S&P).  

I’d also love Sampa, and Damian Marley is well overdue. RTJ are in the running if RTJ4 is out this year, as expected. 

Salt and Pepa are on at Boomtown.  I will report back on their live show.

These guys are back on tour and would be welcome (well by me anyway)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Salt and Pepa are on at Boomtown.  I will report back on their live show.

These guys are back on tour and would be welcome (well by me anyway)

Always welcome! Was it 2009 they played three sets over the weekend for the different albums? 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah. My first Glastonbury.

Same! And what a great one to start on. They're doing dub side in Leeds again soon but I'm not sure I can justify the cost to see that set again. It's different at a festival obviously.