Jump to content
Winslow Leach

Future of the Pyramid

Recommended Posts

Is there not already a screen behind the sound / mixing desk thingummy? I’m sure I watched Yonce in 2011 that far back (rarely stray from our usual spot front left by Wateraid/Oxfam)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

When did they get rid of the screens behind the sound desk?  I've not spent much time there for a few years (but saw about half my acts there this year) so I've never noticed.

When they switched from a single, double height sound desk to the current setup of 2 separate (relatively) low profile positions. I want to say 2015 or 2016?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, incident said:

When they switched from a single, double height sound desk to the current setup of 2 separate (relatively) low profile positions. I want to say 2015 or 2016?

Yeah, 2015 was the first year. Initially I thought it would be some technical thing to do with Kanye’s crane but it’s stayed that way ever since. Looks a lot nicer but the screens are missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Renamed The Pymild for the 50th anniversary with JJ curating. 

High Frying Birds, Bastille and Foals to headline. 

 

I didn't know jj had made his way onto the glasto forums too, I thought he just messed everyone around elsewhere 😂 still so confused as its genuinely not a troll account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

No, the front side is missing.  Not sure if you've noticed but it's how you can see the bands inside. 

Are we sure? 

Early_Sunday_afternoon_crowd_at_the_Pyramid__323784473_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure it must be in the plans eventually to make it larger , even a few meters could make all the difference for productions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could they ? would they ? dont think it will ever change from the iconic shape though ... maybe as posted get a bit bigger .... im off to the webcam thread :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should put a second floor in the field around 50ft above the ground for the flag people. And have free coffee and life assurance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just turn it in to a big fucking footy pitch that you shoot in to the pyramid to score, no teams every man for them self, no rules, anything goes, stalls set up around the perimeter, offering various weapons and items that can be used to dismantle opponents. In fact fuck it, just turn the whole site in to a 5 day Battle Royale. Winner gets a bottle of scrumpy awarded by Michael Eavis himself at the top of the pyramid. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Just turn it in to a big fucking footy pitch that you shoot in to the pyramid to score, no teams every man for them self, no rules, anything goes, stalls set up around the perimeter, offering various weapons and items that can be used to dismantle opponents. In fact fuck it, just turn the whole site in to a 5 day Battle Royale. Winner gets a bottle of scrumpy awarded by Michael Eavis himself at the top of the pyramid. 

Only if Eric Cantona is there for every match to start it off with 'First goal wins' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rename it the Miley Cyrus stage, that's already what anybody who is anybody will be calling it from now on anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's anything that they can do that exceeds the utility and magnificence of the metal path, I would be blown away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be difficult to increase the size of the field once the monorail halt is in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of the mixing and lighting desk - that was a great move. The rake of the field means that the edge of the stage is visible from almost anywhere. All but being right behind the single storey mixers. Opens up a massive amount of the field for viewing that was previously unable to see the stage. Before so much of the field was obscured by the double storey desk etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A large swiiming pool in the middle of the field with sunbeds around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

They should put a second floor in the field around 50ft above the ground for the flag people. And have free coffee and life assurance. 

How about a stall at the side of the stage selling invisible flags that you can only see when you put on special goggles, that’d be super.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Padgey said:

A large swiiming pool in the middle of the field with sunbeds around!

do you have your beach towel ready ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

How about a stall at the side of the stage selling invisible flags that you can only see when you put on special goggles, that’d be super.

Alright Chris Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

On the subject of the mixing and lighting desk - that was a great move. The rake of the field means that the edge of the stage is visible from almost anywhere. All but being right behind the single storey mixers. Opens up a massive amount of the field for viewing that was previously unable to see the stage. Before so much of the field was obscured by the double storey desk etc. 

Indeed it was, and as far as I can tell, nobody on here had thought of it.  Seems counter intuitive that adding another tower would improve visibility of the stage, but it certainly did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Pyramid should slowly evolve into a dance music orientated stage, where DJ's command the crowd and it goes on until much later.

It is very wearisome when bands that were about when your dad was a youth are up there headlining when they are way past their best, were boring then and certainly are now. Get rid.

Get the cream of techno and D&B to play long extended sets and turn the pyramid into a fat rave, which is much more fun than cheesy Kylie Minogue, for example.

It might also stop people getting tickets who don't deserve them, and are only there for soppy bands, and don't even do Glastonbury properly. Instead of the Killers, get someone like Paul Van Dyk to headline, and see how many posh people from the London suburbs don't bother coming and setting up camping chairs by the Pyramid all weekend. Then there will be far more tickets available to real festivals heads, who like a rave and getting on one all weekend, rather than going to bed at midnight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was going to start this thread, but seriously.  Is there anything else that can/will be tweaked about the Pyramid?  Other than one off Coldplay-funded gimmicks, is there much left to do with it?  They can always tweak the sound, but they've done a better job there than elsewhere on site.

I only saw one headliner there this year, Stormzy, so I'm not sure if this happened the other nights, but the outside of the Pyramid was lit up this year.  I'll attach some (not great) photos but you can see the huge lights at the rear corners illuminating the sides.  It's not quite what Coldplay did in 2011, but neither did it require huge towers from which to project.

Aside from that, maybe video mapping (is that what it's called?), although how many in the field would even notice probably makes that kind of thing moot.

And obviously, this stuff only works in the dark, which makes it only useful for one act a day.

Inked20190628_225538_LI.jpg

Inked20190628_234217_LI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...