Future of the Pyramid

Winslow Leach

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

A big polite message during busy sets and  headliners asking that chairs be folded up, rugs lifted and inflatable couches deflated so folk who actually want to listen and dance to the music can get on the field and closer to the stage 

Surely it cant be that difficult to enforce a rule that no chairs or blankets are allowed beyond a line say 2/3's up the field, using markers or some other system to show the line. The number of times I nearly trod on somebody sat on a blanket close up to the stage was ridiculous. 

Edited by Gingerfish79

52 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Surely it cant be that difficult to enforce a rule that no chairs or blankets are allowed beyond a line say 2/3's up the field, using markers or some other system to show the line. The number of times I nearly trod on somebody sat on a blanket close up to the stage was ridiculous. 

Might be my imagination but I thought it was bad this year, maybe the weather.  Sunday afternoon, just beside the sound towers there was groups with rugs, chairs and lying flat out during performances, you could have fitted so many people into those spots. Meanwhile at the back there was folk crammed up against the urinals and ice cream van! Maybe some polite stewarding is required. 

1 hour ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Pyramid as a shape has had it's day, let's face it, the idea is nothing new, the Egyptians beat Michael Eavis to it but only just. I'd like to see a dodecahedron stage next year and new shapes year on year after, perhaps an icosahedron in 2021? 

Möbius Strip Stage 2020

Something I’ve noticed with the pyramid is that if a band doesn’t get that big of a crowd it sticks out like a sore thumb.

of course the mega stars pack the field but making the field bigger might be an issue for the early starting bands.

I think the way to make the pyramid better is less acts and longer sets. Imagine if every act that plays the pyramid gets an hour minimum. Would definitely get more “big” acts willing to take lower slots.

6 acts on the pyramid and a later start would be great.

Edited by Matt42

We should be able to pass round an aux cable when the bands aren't on, I've got song recommendations the field need to hear.

Also they should put 2 bands on at once coz its such a big field and everyone has different tastes.

Finally they should have more flavours of jelly vodka rather than just red. (Or melted red as it was this year).

So that's that stage fixed, looking forward to the next thread.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Might be my imagination but I thought it was bad this year, maybe the weather.  Sunday afternoon, just beside the sound towers there was groups with rugs, chairs and lying flat out during performances, you could have fitted so many people into those spots. Meanwhile at the back there was folk crammed up against the urinals and ice cream van! Maybe some polite stewarding is required. 

My hot take is that the issue is with the gormless goons  who reach the edge of the perimeter and just stop because there are people already there in the field ahead of them, creating an impenetrable wall of bodies.  

For the busiest acts 9 times out of 10 there's more space at the front of the field than there is at the back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think the way to make the pyramid better is less acts and longer sets. Imagine if every act that plays the pyramid gets an hour minimum. Would definitely get more “big” acts willing to take lower slots.

I completely disagree with this. I think one of the biggest factors in the peculiarly weak Pyramid lineup this year was the lopping off of 1-2 acts compared to previous years - when you've got less spots to fill, curveballs like Baaba Maal in 2016 are the first to go.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Something I’ve noticed with the pyramid is that if a band doesn’t get that big of a crowd it sticks out like a sore thumb.

of course the mega stars pack the field but making the field bigger might be an issue for the early starting bands.

I don't think it's such a big deal that acts get small crowds throughout the day. It's a massive festival with loads of stages and acts. Using the size of a crowd for each act as a barometer as to whether they got the right decision isn't required for me, unless someones flooded the Other stage.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My hot take is that the issue is with the gormless goons  who reach the edge of the perimeter and just stop because there are people already there in the field ahead of them, creating an impenetrable wall of bodies.  

For the busiest acts 9 times out of 10 there's more space at the front of the field than there is at the back.

That was noticeable this year, especially on Sunday. Even on the smaller stages such as John peel and Avalon 

9 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I think the Pyramid should slowly evolve into a dance music orientated stage, where DJ's command the crowd and it goes on until much later.

It is very wearisome when bands that were about when your dad was a youth are up there headlining when they are way past their best, were boring then and certainly are now. Get rid.

Get the cream of techno and D&B to play long extended sets and turn the pyramid into a fat rave, which is much more fun than cheesy Kylie Minogue, for example.

It might also stop people getting tickets who don't deserve them, and are only there for soppy bands, and don't even do Glastonbury properly. Instead of the Killers, get someone like Paul Van Dyk to headline, and see how many posh people from the London suburbs don't bother coming and setting up camping chairs by the Pyramid all weekend. Then there will be far more tickets available to real festivals heads, who like a rave and getting on one all weekend, rather than going to bed at midnight.  

You’re not even trying anymore.

Idk when i’m at the pyramid and I can walk all the way to the barrier no problem it’s a bit dead.

I think the pyramid crowd is the worst for chatters and if you’re seeing an act which isn’t pulling the crowds it can be pretty hard to get into it.

TWOD in 2014(?) to a 1/10 sized crowd was still tremendous.

If The National hadn’t just focused in Sleep Well Beast tracks, months before its release, they’d have nailed it.

RTJ was far from full yet was a blast.

As were Proclaimers and Bjorn Again this year.

Burt Bacharach.... as ‘cruise ship’ it may have been, it was still wonderful.