Future of the Pyramid

Winslow Leach

Following on from the 'future of Silver Hayes' thread, 'future of John Peel' thread and 'future of acoustic stage' thread, what's the deal with the Pyramid? Loads of unused space, packed out with day trippers and picnic blankets, weird shape, etc.

Wouldn't it be much better if they tweaked it a little bit to make it a really classy Wetherspoons, or a nice riverside walk with scenic views, or a mixtape of lo-fi beats? Just throwing out some ideas here, let me know what you guys think, and don't forget to subscribe to my Soundcloud!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

13 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Following on from the 'future of Silver Hayes' thread, 'future of John Peel' thread and 'future of acoustic stage' thread, what's the deal with the Pyramid? Loads of unused space, packed out with day trippers and picnic blankets, weird shape, etc.

Wouldn't it be much better if they tweaked it a little bit to make it a really classy Wetherspoons, or a nice riverside walk with scenic views, or a mixtape of lo-fi beats? Just throwing out some ideas here, let me know what you guys think, and don't forget to subscribe to my Soundcloud!

Needs a super happy fun slide.

I was going to start this thread, but seriously.  Is there anything else that can/will be tweaked about the Pyramid?  Other than one off Coldplay-funded gimmicks, is there much left to do with it?  They can always tweak the sound, but they've done a better job there than elsewhere on site.

I was thinking they could probably do with something mobile to draw in the crowds on Wednesday/Thursday.  Maybe a few gazebos or mobile bars that are taken away overnight for when performances begin.
Glastonbury is now in the odd position of having a main stage smaller than the second stage.  Emily even mentioned on a recent interview that it was actually quite a small stage - the Pyramid is going to be 20 years old at the next festival - is it due for an upgrade? Obviously still a pyramid, but perhaps a new, larger design that allows for attaching more screens and other gizmos?  

The only problem I can think of with the area is the difficulty to get rid of rubbish during the performance.  Could bins be placed inside the speaker towers to relieve things slightly?  Seems doubtful, as that would mean driving vehicles through the crowd during the day, since they would easily fill and would hinder security being able to get to people in the crowd easily.  I don't know if they'll ever try to do anything other than ideas like the plastic ban, which has obviously helped.

Probably none of these things, but it's interesting to speculate how they're going to continue to evolve the space, given that out of all the areas it's probably the most settled.  I never saw the splitting of the video/audio towers coming, or the addition of artwork at the top -  I expect there will be other little tweaks over the coming years.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was going to start this thread, but seriously.  Is there anything else that can/will be tweaked about the Pyramid?  Other than one off Coldplay-funded gimmicks, is there much left to do with it?  They can always tweak the sound, but they've done a better job there than elsewhere on site.

I was thinking they could probably do with something mobile to draw in the crowds on Wednesday/Thursday.  Maybe a few gazebos or mobile bars that are taken away overnight for when performances begin.
Glastonbury is now in the odd position of having a main stage smaller than the second stage.  Emily even mentioned on a recent interview that it was actually quite a small stage - the Pyramid is going to be 20 years old at the next festival - is it due for an upgrade? Obviously still a pyramid, but perhaps a new, larger design that allows for attaching more screens and other gizmos?  

The only problem I can think of with the area is the difficulty to get rid of rubbish during the performance.  Could bins be placed inside the speaker towers to relieve things slightly?  Seems doubtful, as that would mean driving vehicles through the crowd during the day, since they would easily fill and would hinder security being able to get to people in the crowd easily.  I don't know if they'll ever try to do anything other than ideas like the plastic ban, which has obviously helped.

Probably none of these things, but it's interesting to speculate how they're going to continue to evolve the space, given that out of all the areas it's probably the most settled.  I never saw the splitting of the video/audio towers coming, or the addition of artwork at the top -  I expect there will be other little tweaks over the coming years.

I saw an article with an interview with the production manager who says the size is limited by the site.  Trying to remember where it was posted now. 

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Interesting.  There's clearly space to make it a bit bigger, even if there are land constraints around the backstage area.  If anything those comments about space make it seem more likely that they'll do something with the structure at some point in the future.

recent_full.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

If they could fit some screens further back in the field and sync them with the sound to fix the delay issue, that’d be cool. The need for some kind of organised entrance and exit system for the pit is more pressing though.

this is a bit like putting traffic lights in instead of roundabouts .....I think it works as well as it can... I got very close and could have easily been on the barrier for 3 acts without much difficulty ... maybe the headliners would have taken a bit more work ... but smaller groups should be quite easy 

22 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

If they could fit some screens further back in the field and sync them with the sound to fix the delay issue, that’d be cool. The need for some kind of organised entrance and exit system for the pit is more pressing though.

When did they get rid of the screens behind the sound desk?  I've not spent much time there for a few years (but saw about half my acts there this year) so I've never noticed.