Future of the acoustic field

FuzzyDunlop

50 minutes ago, alanr said:

I was very disappointed with the selection this year. In previous years they had a wide selection of Ales and Ciders, this year it was very restricted and I think its full range was available at quite a few of the bars

They had a cracking little whiskey bar in there one year, 13 I think, with nice scotch and such but now its just Jack Daniels/longdrop juice. 

53 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I saw Gabrielle Aplin and Eric Bibb and had a lovely time dozing/lying at the back of the stage recovering from the heat. It is very good for that but I understand that isnt quite the point.

Didn't go this year but has been a regular Sunday afternoon snooze spot previously. Spent a few happy hours lying in the tent away from the madness listening to Gretchen Peters or Ron Sexsmith here.

One of my favourite areas and there is always enough for me to venture up. My main gripe is noise leakage from Pyramid. It was embarrassing for Rickie Lee Jones and she commented a number of times about having to compete with the noise (Cure). It really is intrusive.

In 14 festivals over 25 years, I've never been in the tent.  Latterly this has become something for me to cling to, so I can claim with vague legitimacy to those that ask that there are parts of the site I've never seen.  I'm all about the anecdotes.

We did venture into the field though, as that's where Anna Mae's has ended up.  While in the queue, the Bootleg Beatles began to play.  I suppose that was inevitable.

Edited by fatyeti24

I didn't stop by at all this year. they could curate a great lineup in there, especially for oldies like myself. acts like Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul, Neko Case, Nick Mason, even Eddie Vedder all were around and could have been great bookings to keep it a top choice for those with a few decades under their belt 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

not sure you can say that when its been booking the same acts for 30 years. That gives it its identity.

I was thinking of a genre rather than an era for an identity. Apart from the fact that nearly all of the acts have been booked before is there a common identity?  

Maybe it is just there to host Michael’s favourites, and that’s its purpose 

34 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Should be renamed “the stage where nobody under 6ft can see anything”. It’s nice that the roof is so pretty in there because you haven’t a prayer of seeing anything going on on stage.

That's all stages for me. Thank god for screens.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Should be renamed “the stage where nobody under 6ft can see anything”. It’s nice that the roof is so pretty in there because you haven’t a prayer of seeing anything going on on stage.

I'm all for renaming it after the biggest attraction in that area of the festival this year. The Tony the Security Guard Tent.

Usually a few decent acts on. Though I did think it was poor this year.

Two problems

1. The stage should be at the bottom end of the tent, though I see that access would be problematic, I would look at swap it with the cinema tent which might help with problem 2.

2. Soundbleed from Pyramid.The worst stage at the festival for soundbleed.

Though I have to admit a 40ft statue of Rod Hull with his angel wings clutching a TV aerial would be great.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

One of the many great Grotbags facts that we love to see is that in the early seventies she released a northern sould dancefloor destroyer:

The voice of an angel- I haven’t been this moved since Will Ferrell’s performance of Por ti Volare at the Catalina wine mixer

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

In 14 festivals over 25 years, I've never been in the tent.  Latterly this has become something for me to cling to, so I can claim with vague legitimacy to those that ask that there are parts of the site I've never seen.  I'm all about the anecdotes.

We did venture into the field though, as that's where Anna Mae's has ended up.  While in the queue, the Bootleg Beatles began to play.  I suppose that was inevitable.

Anna Mae's had a second stall this year. Near the bandstand.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The giant statue of Grotbags will act as an isostatic counterweight and align the ground properly.

I'm talking really big though.

Statue of Liberty size.

A Boston Dynamics built Emu209 prowling the perimeter for meffs and hardcases to dust up for the amusement of the waiting Grotbagathron.

I’ve seen some great acts over the years in the Acoustic but I do agree it’s lacking. Some of the most interesting stuff is early, with up and coming acts, for instance I saw Amy Montgomery who was fine, but totally inappropriate to be in a large tent with a small crowd.

I’d make it a smaller tent, and add more (food, a small stage in the bar, etc) and have it like a mini-Festival within a Festival, like the Avalon successfully does.

Might be good to have themed days (Like Gully/Blues did), so appropriate to the stage could have Country, Blues and Folk days for example. 

I've been there less in recent years but the only acts that drew me in this year were the female ones so I guess if I ever meet Emily I'll have her to thank for that. I saw Grace Petrie and she was fabulous and clearly really happy with her crowd. I stayed on for Lucy Rose but it was getting so hot that I must admit I skipped out a song or 2 from the end of her set. 

I do think the name confuses a lot of people and maybe puts some people off from the off. I personally think that with the right line up it's a stage I'll happily go to. The last time before this year that I'd spent anytime there was when Clannad, Alison Moyet and Suzanne Vega closed proceedings in 2014. I have noticed sound bleed from the pyramid at times and that is unfortunate for the quieter, more delicate sets.