Future of the acoustic field

FuzzyDunlop

Following on from the Silver Hayes and John Peel threads, to me, the area that needs most attention is the Acoustic area. It feels as if it's an unloved area. I will admit, it isn't an area I go to often. In fact this year I only went to Michael Eavis explains it all,  but to me it needs modernising. A different tent maybe? A bit done to the area definitely needs to happen.

I think the lack of a stellar name doesn't help boost the profile too much. The Avalon have similar acts, but the area feels fresher and more loved. The acoustic is kind of stuck out on it's own.

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the acoustic field. Haven’t set foot in it for the last three festivals. There are two things that need to change imho. 

Pilton palais needs to go or be moved. There are two entrances to the field, both are dominated by tents putting people off even going in. The positioning of the acoustic tent could do with changing if possible. 

The other thing that needs changing is the booking of acts. It doesn’t have an identity. Avalon seems to do what the acoustic should do only better

• Upvote 1

Having the stage uphill of the audience just doesn't work. I frequently struggle to see, and I am not short. Just solving that issue would make this far more appealing, but agree more can be done to rejuvenate the area.

In terms of bookings, I really think they should make a push to get bands that wouldn't usually play acoustically to do something special, rather than just rely on acts who have at least one acoustic guitar.

I've seen some great acts in the Acoustic Tent - Tony Joe White, Glen Hansard, Thea Gilmore, The Men they Couldn't Hang, Amsterdam, The Proclaimers, to name just a few.

Last couple of festivals - and especially this year - the quality of bookings has, for me, dropped off a cliff edge.

If they get that right (again) then it'll be fine.

Discussed this with friends at the festival. Consensus was that there needed to be a review of its purpose, if it is to champion acoustic music then acts should be acoustic. This would potentially provide opportunity for both acoustic acts and MTV unplugged sets . Also the idea of holding an Acoustic introducing competition through the year with finalists getting to play at the festival might raise profile.

But the main opinion was that the tent needed a new booker - in recent years it would appear tired "old friends" seem to be the staple rather than newer acts. We surmised (probably unfairly) that the fields booker was probably one of the people Emily was referring too ,, when she mentioned difficulties with older members of the team.

2 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

But the main opinion was that the tent needed a new booker

I was at Michael Eavis' talk at the acoustic stage and he talked about it being the same guy who had booked the stage for years (who was stood just off the side of the stage), sounds like Michael's mate is not going anywhere soon.

33 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

especially this year - the quality of bookings has, for me, dropped off a cliff edge.

i reckon this was the stage that presented Emily with a solid male line-up and was sent away to come up with something more gender balanced. That seemed to explain the difference in line-up to me this year.

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I was at Michael Eavis' talk at the acoustic stage and he talked about it being the same guy who had booked the stage for years (who was stood just off the side of the stage), sounds like Michael's mate is not going anywhere soon.

Yep - sounds like of all the bookers on site, he's got one of the most secure positions due to the loyalty ME feels towards him (and based on what he was saying, with a lot of justification).

Just now, eFestivals said:

its never been purely acoustic.

Fair enough but maybe that is what it should be going forward to try and differentiate it from other stages(Avalon) and give it a stronger identity. Also if seen as where acoustic acts play then perhaps it would allow bigger act to be booked. Headlining the Acoustic becomes a target for acts, you are top of your genre!! 

It's one of my favourite areas as the bar next to it is ace and there's generally a good vibe up there. However I *hate* the slope up towards the stage. I'm 5ft 2 and can never see anything unless I stand to the very side or get there mega early

31 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I chuckled.

Unfortunately not a joke but glad you laughed.

The bar is Cockmill Bar. Went there especially to get a nice cold Guinness this year and they've stopped selling it. The bastards.

13 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The bar is Cockmill Bar. Went there especially to get a nice cold Guinness this year and they've stopped selling it. The bastards.

I was very disappointed with the selection this year. In previous years they had a wide selection of Ales and Ciders, this year it was very restricted and I think its full range was available at quite a few of the bars