The future of John Peel

BluePaul

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep.

It was a new tent for bands, not a tent for new bands. 

So it’s “the tent formerly known as the new tent with a questionably inappropriate affiliation to John Peel with acts not as old as the acoustic but they’re getting on a bit now” stage, to succinctly clarify matters.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

So it’s “the tent formerly known as the new tent with a questionably inappropriate affiliation to John Peel with acts not as old as the acoustic but they’re getting on a bit now” stage, to succinctly clarify matters.

and add to that sometimes has new bands on it too :) 

1 minute ago, danmarks said:

I know im probably opening a whole debate i can't begin to win but john peel never admitted to paedophilia. He married a 15year old- that was legal at the time. Peadophillia is attraction to children before puberty. 

OK so hes wasn't a paedophile then.

He was a child rapist. 

22 minutes ago, danmarks said:

So if the age of consent was raised to 18years old tomorrow- would you call everyone who was with a 16/17  year old today a peadophile?

I haven’t called anyone a paedophile, fwiw, but how old are these people? If you’re a 30 year old elevated to a position of influence in society and you take advantage of that to get blowjobs off teenagers, then I don’t think whether the teenagers in question are 15 years and 11 months or 16 years and 2 months is particularly important when we’re talking about whether you should have a stage named after you at Glastonbury, no.

If it came out that Greg James had cheated on his wife with a 17 year old in a lift as they did a tour of Radio 1 then he’d be ostracised and rightly so, ‘technically paedophilic’ or not.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yup.

I hear you yeah, we're into semantics really though. 30 year olds messing about with girls they think are probably 13 isn't great, to say the least.

See for all the outrage about jimmy saville, with all the questions about “how could people just allow him to do it”, this is a good example of how people can just turn a blind eye to it if they like the person. A 30 year old having any kind of sexual interaction with a 13 year old is rape, and sexual exploitation.

10 minutes ago, danmarks said:

I know im probably opening a whole debate i can't begin to win but john peel never admitted to paedophilia. He married a 15year old- that was legal at the time. Peadophillia is attraction to children before puberty. 

13 year olds (and now under 16 year olds) can’t legally consent, they’re classed as children it’s classed as rape.

I absolutely agree with the fact he was using power for sexual explotation and on all levels is abhorrent.  Just the slinging around the word paedophile muddies the water and can make it easy to say  'he wasnt a lost prophets ian Watkins level so i dont believe what is being said'. Not by people on here who read and have knowledge but by people who grab hold of the word and then make the rest up to fit what they wish to believe.

I also apologise to r.c boy and others. Some how i missed a page so hadnt realised this had already been bought up.

Edited by danmarks

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yup.

I hear you yeah, we're into semantics really though. 30 year olds messing about with girls they think are probably 13 isn't great, to say the least.

I've absolutely no problem with you calling anyone out for those kind of antics.  Abusing your showbiz status with impressionable youngsters isn't good and you could even make the case that it's more reprehensible than paedophilia - which is a pathological condition rather than a choice.  If we're renaming the tent, I'm voting for 'Yew Tree Corner .'

5 hours ago, Splatt said:

I think ‘The Other Stage’ is an inspired name. Would hate for them to change it. 

I am so used to it being called the Other Stage I don't even think about it.  It was only this year when a newbie said to me she thought it was listed as that as a holding name as they hadn't decided at the time of publication what to call it, that I realised it does sound like that!

Mind you, I often find myself calling the Pyramid, the main stage so it might be more of a reflection of me.

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I am so used to it being called the Other Stage I don't even think about it.  It was only this year when a newbie said to me she thought it was listed as that as a holding name as they hadn't decided at the time of publication what to call it, that I realised it does sound like that!

Mind you, I often find myself calling the Pyramid, the main stage so it might be more of a reflection of me.

I think the newbie was right and they're still thinking.

6 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Used to be the NME Stage innit. They’ll presumably name it The Michael Eavis Stage when his time comes.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Used to be the NME Stage innit. They’ll presumably name it The Michael Eavis Stage when his time comes.

In all seriousness - it wouldn't surprise me if he specifically requests that something like that doesn't happen.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

In all seriousness - it wouldn't surprise me if he specifically requests that something like that doesn't happen.

I agree & his wishes should be adhered to. Plus, if anything it should be the Michael Eavis Pyramid Stage.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

as it happens, I just looked it up. Peel was aged 20 to 25 at the time.

Not sure what difference that makes to the fact he married a minor but okay. He was still a fully grown adult in a relatively elevated position of responsibility, and there are enough allegations of him taking advantage of people when he was older and much higher profile that it clearly wasn’t just a lapse in judgement that can be put down to the naivety of youth.

He sounds like a nasty piece of work and Glastonbury should think themselves lucky the Me Too movement hasn’t cottoned onto it yet, is what I’m saying.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not sure what difference that makes to the fact he married a minor but okay.

It was a legal marriage. That makes 'minor' very misleading.

(I'm guessing, but I presume she was a minor in so far as she had to get her parents permission to marry at that age, same as someone would in the UK getting married at 16).

If you're young I reckon it'll be hard to grasp how attitudes to age and sex have changed an awful lot over the 5 decades.

It wouldn't have been seen as weird or particularly unusual for a 25 year old to be with a 15 year old in the context of that time* - and of course the maturity of the girl plays its part. It's not like there's a sudden maturity boost on reaching a particular age.

I'm not trying to justify it, but Peel's actions can't be accurately considered with today's attitudes. 

* I was 15 in 1980. The 'hot' girls of my age tended to be dating guys aged 20 to 25 and no one thought anything of it.

PS: also about 1980: a teacher a nearby Catholic school got one of the pupils pregnant. He didn't lose his job because although it was illegal and regarded as something he shouldn't have done, it wasn't regarded by society in general as abuse.
(attitudes started to change at around this time and a bit later).

If something is regarded by society as within what's normal then normal people tend to do it.

Edited by eFestivals

47 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It was a legal marriage. That makes 'minor' very misleading.

(I'm guessing, but I presume she was a minor in so far as she had to get her parents permission to marry at that age, same as someone would in the UK getting married at 16).

If you're young I reckon it'll be hard to grasp how attitudes to age and sex have changed an awful lot over the 5 decades.

It wouldn't have been seen as weird or particularly unusual for a 25 year old to be with a 15 year old in the context of that time* - and of course the maturity of the girl plays its part. It's not like there's a sudden maturity boost on reaching a particular age.

I'm not trying to justify it, but Peel's actions can't be accurately considered with today's attitudes. 

* I was 15 in 1980. The 'hot' girls of my age tended to be dating guys aged 20 to 25 and no one thought anything of it.

PS: also about 1980: a teacher a nearby Catholic school got one of the pupils pregnant. He didn't lose his job because although it was illegal and regarded as something he shouldn't have done, it wasn't regarded by society in general as abuse.
(attitudes started to change at around this time and a bit later).

If something is regarded by society as within what's normal then normal people tend to do it.

I understand all that - obviously there’s a difference between being a predator in the 60s/70s/80s like Peel, Bowie, Steven Tyler, Jerry Lee Lewis and all the rest of them, and doing what Jimmy Saville and Ian Watkins did in the 21st Century. But it’s still unspeakably grim and something I’m surprised Glastonbury haven’t chosen to quietly move away from indirectly condoning.