The future of John Peel

BluePaul

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the worst named venue they've ever had, and that's at a festival that has a major stage called "The Other Stage"

I think ‘The Other Stage’ is an inspired name. Would hate for them to change it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

I only spent a couple hours in John Peel this year but it was amazing. we went a couple hours early for the Streets so watched the friendly fires, must say really great music there were a few acts there I missed due to clashes.

on another note: I've always been curious which production company provides the John Peel tent, or to expand does the same company provide the majority of stage tents at Glasto?

We have a thread for you!

SPOILER - it's the same company as most of the main stages, RG Jones

53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I understand why it needed to change but that's caused confusion in a different way, that it's just another stage - so you get people suggesting (for example, which has happened more than once) that Noel Gallagher might suit that stage.

or just rename it for a year when an act like him plays, like they did for Yes in 2003 

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Serious question, because I don't know much about the history of this story, but is there any proof of him being a paedophile? I mean, if so then fair enough but if not then false accusations are not really on.

Wait and see if Nal/Guy can cobble together an answer. Then I'll explain why he wasn't and has never been accused of it.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Serious question, because I don't know much about the history of this story, but is there any proof of him being a paedophile? I mean, if so then fair enough but if not then false accusations are not really on.

There's undeniable proof of him being involved with girls that would've been considered underage (15) if it had happened in the UK. Including a marriage certificate. And rumours that some may have been as young as 13 but I don't remember any real proof of that.

However I think under the laws where it actually happened (Texas), at that point in time, there was no crime.

Whoopdedo, just because Texas is backwards af there’s no issue here, a grown man marrying a teenager is totally fine, let’s all whistle merrily into the wind and continue honouring creepy twats with stages at the best festival in the world just because they didn’t *techincally* break any laws! How about we rename the Other Stage ‘Elvis’ too while we’re at it, lovely jubbly

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Whoopdedo, just because Texas is backwards af there’s no issue here, a grown man marrying a teenager is totally fine, let’s all whistle merrily into the wind and continue honouring creepy twats with stages at the best festival in the world just because they didn’t *techincally* break any laws, how about we name one after Elvis too while we’re at it, lovely jubbly

Not what I said, at all. I was careful just to lay down the facts of the case.

By the way, how would you feel about a reformed Led Zep headlining the Pyramid?

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Not what I said, at all. I was careful just to lay down the facts of the case.

By the way, how would you feel about a reformed Led Zep headlining the Pyramid?

Thankfully not a moral bridge we’ll ever have to cross but if it happened, and there wasn’t any acknowledgment of their ‘history’, yeah it’d be unedifying af. Same as how the Stones headlining without any discussion of their past was a bit grim.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

29 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do," Peel told the Guardian in 1975. "Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside, oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13, though she looked older."

Girls, some as young as 13, he said, used to queue up outside his studio to offer him sexual favours. ‘Well, of course, I didn’t ask for ID,’ he said.  . . . but frustratingly, American girls of that period — as they do now, actually — had this strange notion of virginity as a tangible thing which you surrendered to your husband on your wedding night. ‘So they would do anything but shag you. They’d give you a blowjob before they’d shag you.’

Heres the postcard he wrote to Jane Nevin who she claims knocked her up when she was 15.

article-2216453-15782882000005DC-742_634

The smug "Of course I didn't ask for ID" is a real quote. As are all the rest

The 60 and 70s were a fucked up time. Throw in Bowie (Sable Starr), Jimmy Page (Lori Maddox), Iggy Pop (Sable Starr),  Robert Plant, Jagger etc etc etc.

We would have to throw out a lot of our record collections. 

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do," Peel told the Guardian in 1975. "Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside, oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13, though she looked older."

Girls, some as young as 13, he said, used to queue up outside his studio to offer him sexual favours. ‘Well, of course, I didn’t ask for ID,’ he said.  . . . but frustratingly, American girls of that period — as they do now, actually — had this strange notion of virginity as a tangible thing which you surrendered to your husband on your wedding night. ‘So they would do anything but shag you. They’d give you a blowjob before they’d shag you.’

Heres the postcard he wrote to Jane Nevin who she claims knocked her up when she was 15.

article-2216453-15782882000005DC-742_634

The smug "Of course I didn't ask for ID" is a real quote. As are all the rest

The 60 and 70s were a fucked up time. Throw in Bowie (Sable Starr), Jimmy Page (Lori Maddox), Iggy Pop (Sable Starr),  Robert Plant, Jagger etc etc etc.

We would have to throw out a lot of our record collections. 

Yikes- is all that real?

7 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Following on from the Silver Hayes thread, I wondered what folk thought might be the future for the John Peel Tent/Area?  Since it moved to its new location, it's gained a lot of 'outside' space which, although nice to lounge around in, is essentially wasted space as far as the tent itself is concerned.  Looking at aerial photos of the area, it looks like it would work really well now as an open-air stage with the ability to accommodate the larger crowds some of its performers have demanded in the last couple of years.  The mix of artists seems to have moved on a lot from its original 'new bands' focus as well.

Leaving aside any licensing issues, I suppose the main problem would be sound bleed towards the Pyramid if the stage was aligned essentially as it is now.  But otherwise access (certainly down the slope towards SH and the Beat Hotel) is pretty good.  Bottlenecks in The Woods, but they already exist (as I know from bitter experience trying to get to Goldfrapp after The Killers a couple of years ago).

Or keep the tent and put screens/relays outside?

Thoughts?

Does every square inch of the site have to be filled though? I think it’s quite nice to have some areas with lots of space.i think the JP stage works really well now it’s next to the Woods

38 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"All they wanted me to do was...

I don't blame you for ducking my question.  For anyone confused by the above exchange, it's actually very simple: Nal was accusing John Peel of being a paedophile.  However, paedophilia is the specific disorder of being attracted to those who haven't reached physical sexual maturity.  Any normal person can be attracted to any sexually-mature person, regardless of their age.  What John Peel did was act on this normal impulse, with a minor, which is a crime and not a disorder.  He'd have been guilty of 'statutory rape' had it happened in the UK, but he's never been accused of paedophilia because there's zero evidence of this.

I'm happy for the Peel stage to be renamed if that's where this is going.  I'm not a Peel fan-boy: I was too young so hated his Radio 1 show when I was a kid and I despised his anodyne 'Home Truths' on Radio 4 when I was older.  So why am I being so picky about language?  Whenever I hear factually-incorrect-but-popular tabloid platitudes lazily being spouted, all I see is the next generation of anti-science, anti-vaccine, 5G-proof tin-foil-hat-wearing brexit voters being groomed...

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

45 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yikes- is all that real?

Yup.

16 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I don't blame you for ducking my question.  For anyone confused by the above exchange, it's actually very simple: Nal was accusing John Peel of being a paedophile.  However, paedophilia is the specific disorder of being attracted to those who haven't reached physical sexual maturity.  Any normal person can be attracted to any sexually-mature person, regardless of their age.  What John Peel did was act on this normal impulse, with a minor, which is a crime and not a disorder.  He'd have been guilty of 'statutory rape' had it happened in the UK, but he's never been accused of paedophilia because there's zero evidence of this.

I'm happy for the Peel stage to be renamed if that's where this is going.  I'm not a Peel fan-boy: I was too young so hated his Radio 1 show when I was a kid and I despised his anodyne 'Home Truths' on Radio 4 when I was older.  So why am I being so picky about language?  Whenever I hear factually-incorrect-but-popular tabloid platitudes lazily being spouted, all I see is the next generation of anti-science, anti-vaccine, 5G-proof tin-foil-hat-wearing brexit voters being groomed...

I hear you yeah, we're into semantics really though. 30 year olds messing about with girls they think are probably 13 isn't great, to say the least.