The future of John Peel

BluePaul

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Yes, this happened everywhere there was a beer tent, even Williams Green. Why does every beer tent need a sodding DJ?

The Village Inn at back of Pyramid was ridiculously loud - I chatted to a poor woman behind the bar who had lost her voice shouting to be heard by customers.  Same problem at the Theatre Bar which we popped into for a "quiet" drink and had to leave as the noise level was unbearable.  The staff behind the bar all looked in pain and I feared for their ears listening to that racket all day!

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Always a bit surprised the John Peel tent has survived the Me Too era without being renamed. The field move would’ve been an ideal opportunity to brush that one under the carpet.

Yep its an odd one alright. Considering hes one of the few people whos admitted to paedophilia. 

Wyman played in the acoustic a couple of years back. Loads of people there. 

1 hour ago, plot2pot said:

The Village Inn at back of Pyramid was ridiculously loud - I chatted to a poor woman behind the bar who had lost her voice shouting to be heard by customers.  Same problem at the Theatre Bar which we popped into for a "quiet" drink and had to leave as the noise level was unbearable.  The staff behind the bar all looked in pain and I feared for their ears listening to that racket all day!

Found this with a lot of bars this year.  To much space taken with stages and dance floors, not enough bar space.  

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you'd have had to been a musical numptie to think there was much jazz on that stage.

W Holts or Jazzworld?  That's my point though - even before the name change there were loads of non-jazz acts on Jazzworld, so it was just an inappropriate name.  Glastonbury doesn't tend to do very well with genre specific venues, as it causes them loads of scheduling issues when you need to put Brian Ferry somewhere.

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep its an odd one alright. Considering hes one of the few people whos admitted to paedophilia. 

Wyman played in the acoustic a couple of years back. Loads of people there. 

As I've pointed out before - there's the same amount of evidence of you being a paedophile as there is of John Peel ever being one.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

W Holts or Jazzworld?  That's my point though - even before the name change there were loads of non-jazz acts on Jazzworld, so it was just an inappropriate name.

Nah, it said something, that it was a different groove. West Holts says nothing.

I understand why it needed to change but that's caused confusion in a different way, that it's just another stage - so you get people suggesting (for example, which has happened more than once) that Noel Gallagher might suit that stage.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Glastonbury doesn't tend to do very well with genre specific venues, as it causes them loads of scheduling issues when you need to put Brian Ferry somewhere.

that's more to do with someone like Michael interfering with the booking process

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I hope they keep it to a tent, its what make JP special. I am wondering is they can squish it at all and get BBC introducing into the same field/nearby to get 'new music' together - as BBC intro really doens;t work in Silver Hayes (I preferred it when it was in the Park)

I was thinking the same when reading the Silver Hayes thread.

move BBC Introducing into the opposite corner of the field from the JP tent. it only runs from 12-7pm on days when JP is on anyway, so just schedule the short sets during the breaks between JP acts.

I only spent a couple hours in John Peel this year but it was amazing. we went a couple hours early for the Streets so watched the friendly fires, must say really great music there were a few acts there I missed due to clashes.

on another note: I've always been curious which production company provides the John Peel tent, or to expand does the same company provide the majority of stage tents at Glasto?