The future of John Peel

BluePaul

Following on from the Silver Hayes thread, I wondered what folk thought might be the future for the John Peel Tent/Area?  Since it moved to its new location, it's gained a lot of 'outside' space which, although nice to lounge around in, is essentially wasted space as far as the tent itself is concerned.  Looking at aerial photos of the area, it looks like it would work really well now as an open-air stage with the ability to accommodate the larger crowds some of its performers have demanded in the last couple of years.  The mix of artists seems to have moved on a lot from its original 'new bands' focus as well.

Leaving aside any licensing issues, I suppose the main problem would be sound bleed towards the Pyramid if the stage was aligned essentially as it is now.  But otherwise access (certainly down the slope towards SH and the Beat Hotel) is pretty good.  Bottlenecks in The Woods, but they already exist (as I know from bitter experience trying to get to Goldfrapp after The Killers a couple of years ago).

Or keep the tent and put screens/relays outside?

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Following on from the Silver Hayes thread, I wondered what folk thought might be the future for the John Peel Tent/Area?  Since it moved to its new location, it's gained a lot of 'outside' space which, although nice to lounge around in, is essentially wasted space as far as the tent itself is concerned.  Looking at aerial photos of the area, it looks like it would work really well now as an open-air stage with the ability to accommodate the larger crowds some of its performers have demanded in the last couple of years.  The mix of artists seems to have moved on a lot from its original 'new bands' focus as well.

Leaving aside any licensing issues, I suppose the main problem would be sound bleed towards the Pyramid if the stage was aligned essentially as it is now.  But otherwise access (certainly down the slope towards SH and the Beat Hotel) is pretty good.  Bottlenecks in The Woods, but they already exist (as I know from bitter experience trying to get to Goldfrapp after The Killers a couple of years ago).

Or keep the tent and put screens/relays outside?

Thoughts?

Keep the tent, for years with rain sometimes it's a welcome relief to go under canapy. It's also great during the day as you can get a full lights and effects show which isn't the case for outdoor stages. 

• Upvote 4

Think it needs to stay a tent, screens on the outside is a shout though. Maybe a special bar that's unique to there, although it is basically between the woods and beat hotel. Come on leaps and bounds since when it was down the hill, feels like Wills Green has replaced as the more interesting new bands tent though.

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Keep the tent, for years with rain sometimes it's a welcome relief to go under canapy. It's also great during the day as you can get a full lights and effects show which isn't the case for outdoor stages. 

This. I watched Low and Sharon Van Etten in there and think both would have been less good on an outside stage. Certain acts just suit a tent better, so it's great to have the option of a pretty large tented venue, rather than making all the large venues the same.

I sat outside the JP tent for a while on a couple of days and the most annoying thing was the music coming from the beer tent.  I would loved to have been able to sit on the edge and listen to what's going on, but it was completely drowned out.

Also surprised there wasn't at least a couple of food vendors in the field. I'd have definitely boshed a cheese toastie between acts if there was one right by the tent.

A big screen at the back showing the band would be good too, but that might be pushing the wishlist.

Edited by uscore

38 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Yes, this happened everywhere there was a beer tent, even Williams Green. Why does every beer tent need a sodding DJ?

Must admit the sounds coming from the beer tent at the John peel was annoying especially as no one was listening to it, either were desperate for beer or trying to hear what was going on in the rammed tent. Screens outside the jp would have Been great when Gerry cinnamon was on. 

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I hope they keep it to a tent, its what make JP special. I am wondering is they can squish it at all and get BBC introducing into the same field/nearby to get 'new music' together - as BBC intro really doens;t work in Silver Hayes (I preferred it when it was in the Park)

its not 'new music' and never was.