Glastonbury vs Roskilde - tents taken home

Watergirl

Found this article in my Facebook feed. I can’t read Danish but I get the gist of it. The first two photos compare the Glastonbury and Roskilde aftermath.

Google translate translates the headline as “Incredible festival miracle. The UK's largest music festival, Glastonbury, shows that it is possible to get guests clean up after them”.

Whilst it shouldn’t be a miracle when people do what is the decent thing to do, it’s nice to see Glastonbury in such a favourable light. 

https://ekstrabladet.dk/roskilde/nyheder/utroligt-festivalmirakel/7706719?fbclid=IwAR0VguI5au9FnBoo_JZSti_NnnQfhzO_zKyb3Bel8TpPw4KrJJ3r8hdTNi4

I turned up at Roskilde on Tuesday daytime and the place was already a complete mess. 

For those arguing that Glasto should last a week; this festival does Saturday to Saturday, with the big name music not starting until a Wednesday. The first weekend is seemingly an anything goes for 18 y/o who absolutely trashed the place, which all calmed down once the families bulked out the fields come Tues/Weds.  

6 hours ago, chemica said:

I turned up at Roskilde on Tuesday daytime and the place was already a complete mess. 

For those arguing that Glasto should last a week; this festival does Saturday to Saturday, with the big name music not starting until a Wednesday. The first weekend is seemingly an anything goes for 18 y/o who absolutely trashed the place, which all calmed down once the families bulked out the fields come Tues/Weds.  

I was thinking the same about that lasting-a-week argument. I once arrived at Roskilde on the Monday. It was a muddy year and by the time the music started on Thursday I was exhausted (they have changed their dates and the main stages run Wednesday to Saturday now). Those photos were no doubt taken in fields where the younger crowd go. Last time I camped with friends in the caravan field, which wasn’t as bad.

17 hours ago, Homer said:

Is the demographic at Roskilde particularly young or something?

Rosklide's fields are very separated, so this is probably of a photo of one of the general camping fields near the stages - it seemed to me when I was looking into going to Rosklide that most of the older people pay to go in premium campsites, similar to Isle of Wight I guess.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Rosklide's fields are very separated, so this is probably of a photo of one of the general camping fields near the stages - it seemed to me when I was looking into going to Rosklide that most of the older people pay to go in premium campsites, similar to Isle of Wight I guess.

from what I've heard, trashing the campsites is tradition and if you're in those campsites you're essentially expected to take part (and have your stuff trashed).

Which is probably why some avoid it by going premium.

18 hours ago, Homer said:

Is the demographic at Roskilde particularly young or something?

Roskilde is a rite of passage for Danish kids. Something close to 50% would be 15-20, so you can expect a certain level of carnage there. I've been six or seven times, it's a lot of fun but it's a bloody messy festival in the campsites - a party vibe like no other.

The site is owned by the company behind the festival, which as far as I know, has no other use (apart from the old gravel pit). So people don't give as much of a shit.

Edited by majormajormajor

2 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Roskilde is a rite of passage for Danish kids. Something close to 50% would be 15-20, so you can expect a certain level of carnage there. I've been six or seven times, it's a lot of fun but it's a bloody messy festival in the campsites - a party vibe like no other.

The site is owned by the company behind the festival, which as far as I know, has no other use (apart from the old gravel pit). So people don't give as much of a shit.

ah so the danish reading and leeds really I guess

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

from what I've heard, trashing the campsites is tradition and if you're in those campsites you're essentially expected to take part (and have your stuff trashed).

Which is probably why some avoid it by going premium.

oh wow thats just dumb not going to lie, I just presumed the people going premium just leads such a high concentration of young people it just happens