Stern drugs talk before entering Gate B

UEF

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's almost as though a review of government policy on the production, supply, use and overall regulation of recreational drugs would be worth considering...

Although - a lot easier to get a few hundred thousand people paying £250 to behave themselves. You can't exactly extrapolate out the Glastonbury experience to the country without a lot of thought...

If they can't keep drugs out of prisons or the houses or parliament - they've got sod-all chance with the general public.

The "War on drugs" is just a war on minorities, the poor and another excuse for police racism.

We need ME, EE and the local police to get "The Loop" on site and let the police go after the dealers.

Portugal have the right approach - Drug use is a Health care issue, Dealing is a Police issue.

Edited by Penrhos
  • Upvote 2

So reading between the lines, the discretionary policy (and there is a discretionary policy) seems to be 

1) We don't really care what you're bringing in for your own use, but will make very light gestures to look like we do care

2) We don't want you coming in if you're a dealer

3) However if you are a dealer and manage to make it in, crack on

Right?

The bag checks were very full on this year I thought. We used Gate A mostly.

On Wednesday, after 2 trips back to the car, I couldn't be arsed stopping so I just pretended I didn't hear the bloke shouting me. Not that I had anything to hide, just couldn't be bothered stopping, just wanted to get set up and to the Brothers Bar.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

In one way the soft security on entry is great but in another way it’s slightly worrying. I bring a 90ltr rucksack to glasto and it’s never even been opened by security now 3 glastos. People can literally bring in whatever they like and maybe I’m missing something but it seems to me that if someone wanted to kill a lot of people glasto would be an easy target no? Maybe the police have advanced counter intelligence operations these days that can nip this stuff in the bud so they don’t need to search everyone, I have no idea but out of any festival I’ve been to glasto definitely has the most relaxed security guards and the smallest police presence.

Do people think they’re just hoping for the best re terrorism or is there a bigger plan in action that we can’t see?

5 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

In one way the soft security on entry is great but in another way it’s slightly worrying. I bring a 90ltr rucksack to glasto and it’s never even been opened by security now 3 glastos. People can literally bring in whatever they like and maybe I’m missing something but it seems to me that if someone wanted to kill a lot of people glasto would be an easy target no? Maybe the police have advanced counter intelligence operations these days that can nip this stuff in the bud so they don’t need to search everyone, I have no idea but out of any festival I’ve been to glasto definitely has the most relaxed security guards and the smallest police presence.

Do people think they’re just hoping for the best re terrorism or is there a bigger plan in action that we can’t see?

I think that was the concern in 2017 when people were asked by Glastonbury to tag their bags. It was only a month after the Manchester Arena bombing.

I think the theory was that if they had to evacuate the entire site it would help to get people’s belongings back to them. Or identify a body next to a bag.

i think the O2 introduced airport style security pretty soon after and it’s still active. 

There’s not much currently stopping someone from doing that at glasto, other than the fence and hassle to get a ticket 

Edited by UEF

55 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The thing is, there are some searches, so it would be a risk. And an unnecessary risk, because the snaky parts of the queue on a Tuesday night have some of the most densely populated people of the whole festival. Anyone minded to could do around as much damage outside the festival as inside it, well before they get searched.

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And Emily heavily said they would be there the year just gone.... :( 

I would guess that the delay was a policing/council issue, I’m sure she would have had it on site this year if it was her decision. Unfortunately, the dinosaurs in these institutions tend to be the biggest stumbling block to progressive, sensible policies. 

Just now, gordong said:

I would guess that the delay was a policing/council issue, I’m sure she would have had it on site this year if it was her decision. Unfortunately, the dinosaurs in these institutions tend to be the biggest stumbling block to progressive, sensible policies. 

yep :) ... she said it in October last year .. plenty of time for the council to object :( 

I was heavily searched at 6am  Sunday morning going out of the festival at Gate B. Every part of my bag and wallet taken out and checked. Questioned it at the time as to why (seeing as it is a condition of entry not exit). They were catching quite a few even in the short time I was there. 

Luckily for me I had a sudden feeling half way up on muddy lane that this may happen (I've seen it before in other years) so anything that may or may not have been in my possession was handed to a friend camping in site just before! 

4 hours ago, UEF said:

So reading between the lines, the discretionary policy (and there is a discretionary policy) seems to be 

1) We don't really care what you're bringing in for your own use, but will make very light gestures to look like we do care

Right?

I think people need to be a bit careful at reading between the lines about what they think is 'policy' and careful about saying how easy they think they have it on this great public forum of ours. 

Being searched on the way out is a bit rough - and I'd feel pretty pissed off to be taxed by security leaving.

The state I was in every night I left for CV East I'm surprised I wasn't stopped, then again because of the state I was in it would be pretty clear I'd taken everything I had.

The problem is "consistency" - if you're caught with 5g of weed/hash and up to 1g of class-A in Holland/Portugal then it's classed as "personal use" and they either confiscate it or let you keep it and no criminal records/warnings - here some jobsworth policeman just pushed for prosecution for someone caught with a single joint.

We've also all heard of the deaths where people have panic'd and swallowed their stash at the sight of sniffer dogs/police at the gates.

The police and security are there to "Protect and serve the public" primarily and to uphold the law - our current drugs laws make that a problem.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

And Emily heavily said they would be there the year just gone.... :( 

I did see a Loop stand somewhere in the festival. Can't remember where as, ironically, I was spangled. Might not have been the full testing shebang, but they definitely had a presence.

3 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I think people need to be a bit careful at reading between the lines about what they think is 'policy' and careful about saying how easy they think they have it on this great public forum of ours. 

I understand where you are coming from but believe that the 'authorities' couldn't police the way that Daily Mail readers would want it policed, even if the 'authorities' were that way inclined.  The fact is that given the number of people involved, the potential crushes, violence stemming from frustration at being able to enter within a 'reasonable' time etc, then they just 'have' to let people in willy nilly. There should be no doubt that the police know all the hiding places you could conjure up. It's just a matter that they can't field everybody. As in the slightest. They know that, and we know that. It's not like it's a secret.

3 minutes ago, Pipine said:

My bag was searched twice pretty throroughly going in on ped gate B over the weekend, saw people getting searched on the way out too.  They were definitely being fairly proactive on searches.

This is why offsite could never be for me. That stress every day? Fuck that.

10 hours ago, UEF said:

Right?

No. All stuff you've made up between the lines, especially the last bit which is wildly, flagrantly and ridiculously wrong.

The police and council and festival produce documents about this stuff, they're worth a read to see what they're concerned about. There is a huge undercover operation - this year was unusual seeing more uniformed officers thurs-sat - and it's all focused on people watching and tracking what's going on to find dealers and stop the supply market. They've completely destroyed the roving dealer thing that used to go on, and the amount of people shouting out what they've got to sell is tiny these days. There are cameras in all sorts of discrete places watching, it's not hard to spot the folk up to no good.

They do search, they do check - but in reality the only things such efforts catch is the amateurs and youngsters. I've had security take one or two things out of my bag just looking me in the eye then say "i wouldn't find anything anyway would I" enough times to know they're all aware how screwy it is really. That part is more about weapons, glass and egregious nonsense than thinking they'll strip every pill off every punter. That's not 'their' policy at all, that's just festival security in general.

I assumed people being searched on exit was to check for stolen goods - i.e. opening a bag and finding 25 phones. 

Are we suggesting it’s for narcotics? Based off people saying their wallet was searched, I think I’ve answered my own question. Don’t understand that at all, why do they care anymore?

I'm remembering the "Security" thread from 2017. That got hectic. Just after The Manchester thing and the official site getting all, "We're upping the searches this year".

"But I'm camping for almost a week. I need my penknife and axe".

The queues were mad that year in that heat.

In and out through Gate C every day from Tuesday this year. Wasn't stopped once apart from the obligitary and necessary EPO scan. Didn't notice anyone else with their stuff emptied onto tables either.

I think it's random. One year I got proper emptied out three times.

I don't think we're ever getting back to the relatively laid back attitude of old though.

I would seriously question someones remit if they tried to search me on the way out.

3 hours ago, gordong said:

I assumed people being searched on exit was to check for stolen goods - i.e. opening a bag and finding 25 phones. 

Off topic but I went to see Four Tet at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool last year, I went to the cloak room to leave my coat and when I got there saw that it was closed but there was a sign on the counter saying that due to them being short staffed the cloak room was unmanned but you could hang your coats up at your own risk. 

I emptied my pockets and left my coat there and went and enjoyed my evening. We left about half an hour before the end so I went to get my coat, walked round the counter to get it off the hanger and there was 2 fellas crouched down with about 40 wallets / purses just rummaging through all of them. I wasn’t gonna approach them myself but got my coat and went and told the nearest security fella, he just looked at me shrugged his shoulders and walked in the opposite direction. Told another bouncer on the door as we were leaving but he also didn’t seem bothered.