Stern drugs talk before entering Gate B

UEF

1 minute ago, UEF said:

Ah, I wonder if one of the 100 said yes to that chat, or if Tone Loc laid down the law after he saw you going through

Don’t remember any Australians, but it was a densely packed queue 

Just yeah it was, that walk up the grass verge was a mare. People's buggys falling over all over the shop and then we got stopped told we would be sleeping at a certain point only for the next person to walk up about ten seconds later and move us on. Literally after we'd just put all our bags down. Got near the front of that section and same happened again. They were not well organised at this point.

I've been to other festivals and they always have more thorough searches than Glastonbury, do you think they're expecting a more diverse age group so carry out less searches? Seems the same inside the festival, never see security walking through a crowd trying to collar people like you normally so (except the odd one in arcadia).

29 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

I've been to other festivals and they always have more thorough searches than Glastonbury, do you think they're expecting a more diverse age group so carry out less searches? Seems the same inside the festival, never see security walking through a crowd trying to collar people like you normally so (except the odd one in arcadia).

I think there’s a general understanding that Glastonbury floats on a sea of drugs and always has done

Theres a bit of ‘theatre’ that probably has to happen to keep the police and council happy but if they really wanted to find stuff and make arrests they’d be doing so, and they’re not 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UEF said:

Did anyone else get a rather stern drugs that from a dreadlocked chap called 'Tony' on entrance to Pedestrian Gate B?

In the wee hours of weds morning we were ushered forwards in groups of 100 or so to be barked at about having to surrender any drugs (including too much paracetemol/ibuprofen) and that his team would 'find anything, so surrender it now')

The first of the group would then get searched before this Tony chap would personally eyeball every person in the queue to determine whether they could go forward or not. This was a few hundred yards (and a few hours) before the standard wristband checkpoint.

One of the most un-Glastonbury things I experienced that week. 

What was all that about?

Good luck at GATE B next year pal. 

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, UEF said:

I think there’s a general understanding that Glastonbury floats on a sea of drugs and always has done

Theres a bit of ‘theatre’ that probably has to happen to keep the police and council happy but if they really wanted to find stuff and make arrests they’d be doing so, and they’re not 

Oddly at the bottom of pennanrds going up to the railway track a policewoman was search some young ladies bag. At the time as literally hundreds of people streamed by I thought it was rather random. Thought a little later it maybe they were helping locate something in the bag with their torch. Just very random

1 hour ago, UEF said:

I'd be of that opinion too.

4 hours ago, UEF said:

I'd go a little further than that. This is tried and tested and they know what to expect, and best of all it hammers the internal dealer market keeping it safer for everyone.

They've just had more experience and practice at this than some other councils

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I'd go a little further than that. This is tried and tested and they know what to expect, and best of all it hammers the internal dealer market keeping it safer for everyone.

They've just had more experience and practice at this than some other councils

Can you expand on this?

29 minutes ago, JGP said:

We literally got asked "do you have anything you shouldn't have? Drugs? Glass? Knives?". We said no and we were straight in. But then this was Thursday night.

The checks at PGA on Wed afternoon weren't even that.  My queue didn't even get looked at, and the queues either side were a cursory squeeze of bags that were clearly just for carrying food & drink supplies to make sure there was no glass.  Was pretty much the same last year.

I'll be aiming for the same coach time again! :D

3 hours ago, UEF said:

Can you expand on this?

Nothing special or clever to it really - the festival's been running for ages and had time to go from complete free-for-all through trying to regulate and now settling on this dealer focused approach. The vast vast majority of drug problems are dealer related. People generally want to take care of themselves and each other and just have a good time. Left to their own devices they'll get known things of known strength from friends who've tried them already rather than randoms from some dodgy deep in the crowd, and have fewer accidents on account of it.

Security and police have both been on record saying it's mostly better dealing with people on things other than alcohol as they're less violent and nasty.

It's not really in anyone's interest to upset the boat. 

16 hours ago, Tr234 said:

How did those festivals compare size-wise?

On Wednesday lunchtime at PGA it seemed that security checks were the bit which was the slowest and yet they were not that thorough - it's clear that their focus was on safety and glass in the first instance.

In terms of within the site things are very discreet these days on the dealer front compared to how it used to be and that's the sort of issue they really get grief about.

Edited by clarkete

49 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Nothing special or clever to it really - the festival's been running for ages and had time to go from complete free-for-all through trying to regulate and now settling on this dealer focused approach. The vast vast majority of drug problems are dealer related. People generally want to take care of themselves and each other and just have a good time. Left to their own devices they'll get known things of known strength from friends who've tried them already rather than randoms from some dodgy deep in the crowd, and have fewer accidents on account of it.

Security and police have both been on record saying it's mostly better dealing with people on things other than alcohol as they're less violent and nasty.

It's not really in anyone's interest to upset the boat. 

It's almost as though a review of government policy on the production, supply, use and overall regulation of recreational drugs would be worth considering...