Stern drugs talk before entering Gate B

UEF

Did anyone else get a rather stern drugs that from a dreadlocked chap called 'Tony' on entrance to Pedestrian Gate B?

In the wee hours of weds morning we were ushered forwards in groups of 100 or so to be barked at about having to surrender any drugs (including too much paracetemol/ibuprofen) and that his team would 'find anything, so surrender it now')

The first of the group would then get searched before this Tony chap would personally eyeball every person in the queue to determine whether they could go forward or not. This was a few hundred yards (and a few hours) before the standard wristband checkpoint.

One of the most un-Glastonbury things I experienced that week. 

What was all that about?

5 minutes ago, UEF said:

Did anyone else get a rather stern drugs that from a dreadlocked chap called 'Tony' on entrance to Pedestrian Gate B?

In the wee hours of weds morning we were ushered forwards in groups of 100 or so to be barked at about having to surrender any drugs (including too much paracetemol/ibuprofen) and that his team would 'find anything, so surrender it now')

The first of the group would then get searched before this Tony chap would personally eyeball every person in the queue to determine whether they could go forward or not. This was a few hundred yards (and a few hours) before the standard wristband checkpoint.

One of the most un-Glastonbury things I experienced that week. 

What was all that about?

Sounds like Tony was trying to get himself a stash.

6 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

My favourite quote from his talk was "I don't want any bad boys getting into the festival on my shift, I'm the only bad boy here". Our group were trying our very hardest to not cry with laughter

Despite being told 'my team WILL find it' it's my understanding that his team missed rather a lot of it :D

Just now, UEF said:

Despite being told 'my team WILL find it' it's my understanding that his team missed rather a lot of it :D

They literally searched 1 out of our party of 30, and with him they only took a few things out of the top of his rucksack. The search was not thorough haha

We were there for this. My son (20) had unmarked drugs as a contingency against a cold sore virus which turns into a bit of an emergency if it gets near his eye. This guy got him a bit worried so he began to explain to another steward who didn’t care either way. Didn’t see any one around us get searched but did see someone’s wash bag getting turned out when I went back for a pee at about 2am. 

I'd like to know what would happen if everyone just refused ol' Tone's request? I've had to deal with authority-tripping security guards before and they've been a right pain to get away from. Had to convince one once that the loose tablets in my tobacco tin were actually paracetamol "just in case". Eventually let me through but it's not like you can request to see their line manager, is it? :D

Our gate was lax, the worse we got was someone saying we'll be searching the odd person at random, make sure you don't have any drugs on you.

Then they said, were meant to tell you information about this, do you want to know it. We said no then we were let straight in without being searched.

EDIT: This was on gate B and also Tony was also there and didn't seem to care. I think maybes you just looked like a dodgepot.

EDIT EDIT: One of the security at gate B was absolutely off his tits and spent most of the night in the queues craicing jokes with the festival goers. We'd had a bit craic on with him as he'd called my mate a shit looking Ed Sheeran and myself a shit looking Dave Bautista. Anyway about an hour later he had been ushered to the back and the other security guards were arguing with him, saying he looked in a state and he was arguing they were all hanging up on him. Last I saw was two other security marching him towards the festival, probably to get canned.

Edited by chatty

20 minutes ago, chatty said:

Our gate was lax, the worse we got was someone saying we'll be searching the odd person at random, make sure you don't have any drugs on you.

Then they said, were meant to tell you information about this, do you want to know it. We said no then we were let straight in without being searched.

EDIT: This was on gate B and also Tony was also there and didn't seem to care. I think maybes you just looked like a dodgepot.

EDIT EDIT: One of the security at gate B was absolutely off his tits and spent most of the night in the queues craicing jokes with the festival goers. We'd had a bit craic on with him as he'd called my mate a shit looking Ed Sheeran and myself a shit looking Dave Bautista. Anyway about an hour later he had been ushered to the back and the other security guards were arguing with him, saying he looked in a state and he was arguing they were all hanging up on him. Last I saw was two other security marching him towards the festival, probably to get canned.

When did go through? We were some of the first to go through in the Tuesday/Wednesday queue so maybe Tone Loc’s gear was wearing off by the time you went through 

5 minutes ago, UEF said:

When did go through? We were some of the first to go through in the Tuesday/Wednesday queue so maybe Tone Loc’s gear was wearing off by the time you went through 

We were there Tuesday night, only about four or five down in the Zig Zaga, got in about midnightish but we're queing in the car park before that for a while.

Maybes Tone just didn't want to upset a shit looking Dave Bautista?

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

We were there Tuesday night, only about four or five down in the Zig Zaga, got in about midnightish but we're queing in the car park before that for a while.

Maybes Tone just didn't want to upset a shit looking Dave Bautista?

Oh interesting, we were about 50 in. How strange. 

You didnt go to a halfway spot before the zigzag bit with a little gazebo for any sort of chat, then? 

Edited by UEF

4 minutes ago, UEF said:

Oh interesting, we were about 50 in. How strange. 

You didnt go to a halfway spot before the zigzag bit with a little gazebo for any sort of chat, then? 

Nah, they let us straight through there. They did ask if we wanted to hear about some info and we said no so they just said head straight through and let us pass. Were yous next to the lads with the Australian hats?

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Nah, they let us straight through there. They did ask if we wanted to hear about some info and we said no so they just said head straight through and let us pass. Were yous next to the lads with the Australian hats?

Ah, I wonder if one of the 100 said yes to that chat, or if Tone Loc laid down the law after he saw you going through

Don’t remember any Australians, but it was a densely packed queue