The future of Silver Hayes

bombfrog

11 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Did anyone venture into the No Average Groove micro-stage? Any good?

Bombfrog has bigged it up on page 1 of this thread.  Every time I walked past, it was playing the best tunes I'd heard in Silver Hayes by far.  It would be stretching it to call it a stage though - it was a catering van-sized wooden shack with DJ and soundsystem.  The 'dancefloor' was the smallish grass area out front in between the shack and the main Silver Hayes walkway.

It’s geography doesn’t help, it’s very flat without any horizon. The Park is automatically much nicer because it’s surrounded by beautiful scenery. I really think what ever you stick there in a wide open space will struggle to an extent. It makes it just like somewhere like Reading.

Maybe the answer is to swap it with JP and put silver Hayes up against the wooded area so it has a bit of scenery.

6 hours ago, Chipbarm said:

They should never have got rid of the Dance East & Dance west tents and kept the G stage. Always had a good mix of bands and djs on through the day.

The g stage was good!. 

To be honeat everytime i walked through SH this year it was rammed all venues were busy and peiple were having a good time. Is that not what ita all about? 

My main thoughts  are that its an area for younger ravers! Its your 16-20ish it must be epic. Im in my 40s now amd CBA to deal with the crush inside the venues anymore

Thr glade had some ace dance music on but a lot of older djs who have been going for over 30 years! Dwdo an oldwr crowd there of original party people from the 80s and early 90s.  Likewise pangeaa was ace in the right spot ( right under the djs on the crane theres some epic sub woofers making yer chest pound!

I did make it there this year for 24hr garage girls and it was a good bit of sunday afternoon fun but sh is definitely my least favourite area the sound bleed was as ever maddening to me it feels like a bit of a corridor flanked by stages rather than a clearly defined coherent space like say block9 or the park 

57 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s geography doesn’t help, it’s very flat without any horizon. The Park is automatically much nicer because it’s surrounded by beautiful scenery. I really think what ever you stick there in a wide open space will struggle to an extent. It makes it just like somewhere like Reading.

Maybe the answer is to swap it with JP and put silver Hayes up against the wooded area so it has a bit of scenery.

Fuck no. Camping over at Hitchin Hill is a dream for the lack of late night reverberations (snoring exempt)

Completely agree on a lot of point's made here, the only time I really spent in silver hayes was Wednesday morning getting to my campsite and Sunday night/Monday morning, I don't really see the appeal of the place, daytime lineup isn't my taste and there are much better things to do after the headliners have finished  

No Average Groove, Pussy whatever the fuck it’s called need to go. BBC Introducing wants moving somewhere else.

The bar in the tent lizard bar or 11 quid bar depending how wrecked you are wants to pack in the shite tunes and have a chilled out area.

Wow stage is alright could do with being louder, sound for Paranoid London was shite except at the front luckily we moved during first tune. 

Sonic Stage is alright, Gully Blues while not my thing musically is alright. Just have the 3 stages there. Gully, Sonic, Wow. Have the toilets and food down the Wow end as they are, the bar not playing shite tunes made a lot bigger with more seating so people can have a rest. That gives you 3 good stages far less sound bleed and a decent area to sit down and chill out/get  drink quicker. Would be a decent area then. 

I think the bookings are good there.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In 15 years of going to Glastonbury I think I can count on one hand the number of acts I've seen in the Dance Village/Silver Hayes...

I haven't been going for nearly as long but always camp on that side so walk through Silver Hayes and find it a soulless, anonymous place.  I have seen maybe two things there.  I admit I am not by any means their target audience but have never really been aware of a great many people having the time of their lives either.  A very strange area.  

It’s an area I struggle to find much love for expect the Pussy Parlure and their totally bonkers bookings (Sultans of Disco being one of the highlights in recent years)

The set up for Sonic and WOW did seem much better this year but it does seem to be a bit of a dumping ground for those stages that don’t fit elsewhere. Then seems too big of an area to fully commit to one theme (even ‘dance’) Maybe Babylon Uprising could be moved closer to GullyBlues and they can build on that. Moving BBC Introducing where Beat Hotel was seems like a good suggestion. I’m not keen on the idea of moving Rocket Lounge and Rum Shack over there, they fit well where they are.

Unfortunately I don’t see there being any massive changes to the SH area until after the 50th. I feel like the next year they will focus on nailing the new things that were introduced this year - Glastonbury on Sea, Pangea, IICON etc.

Scrap it all. New area,  new concept,  new theme.  Silver hayes is a dud with a bad vibe. 

Yanno though, maybe it's not meant for us. Maybe its a tactic to keep all the real intense vibes away from the rest of the festival. Every creature has its purpose. 

11 hours ago, bigbilly said:

To be honeat everytime i walked through SH this year it was rammed all venues were busy and peiple were having a good time. Is that not what ita all about? 

Yer man here has the point I reckon.  If it's busy across the weekend and people doing their thing, does it need changing? Not every part of the place has to get the official eFests Seal of ApprovalTM

It's not my music but we pass here every day  from where we camp to me the answer is simple. The dance area needs just one huge tent not all these small stages that are drowning each other out.The tent needs to be a radical design not just a tent  then surround this tent with interesting stuff like they do other areas. Its always felt like its not working but I may be wrong and plenty will say other wise. Sometimes you can try so hard it gets past working, time for something new.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, debted said:

The dance area needs just one huge tent not all these small stages that are drowning each other out.

That's what it used to be, but they said it had to change because it was hard to fill a big tent especially during the day. I saw Soul II Soul there on my first year, it was great.

I am their target audience. Bookings are great. Venues and lay out the problem. Gully Blues for your grime/dubstep/drum and bass/jungle. Sonic for big names across all genres. Wow for house/disco/techno. A bar with decent service/shade/places to sit down. Toilets and food areas are they are. Trim it down, rejig it and it’ll be a decent enough area.

Big and grand isn’t always better especially for dance music. Sooner have Wow as it is with better sound and easier to get a drink.

I last went in 2011 and it felt a bit lame and lacking in identity even then

Not to go all marketing theory, but the strongest ideas start with a "why" - Silver Hayes has never really had its why compared to other areas imo since the SE corner took over in dance terms

I think everyone here is just old :) (me included BTW)

Was busy all the time (with young people mainly). The best thing I heard all weekend was in Pussy Parlour (Tank and the Bangas). Ray BLK was very, very good too. ShyFX was absolutely RAMMED.

You have to be near the front in all cases though as sound bleed does spoil any thing if you are not, it means that the atmosphere at the front is always good though - die hard fans of what is on mainly.

I like it as it is (except in muddy years, less said the better then)

I think one of the major problems is having the corridor-like path through the entire area. The path should be relocated to one side and have all the stages/tents/bars on the other. The reason I'm guessing they have it like it is currently is to combat the sound bleed, but that's more of an issue with the sound levels and types of stage they have. 

It just needs a distinct personality. It's overshadowed by SE corner currently, but with a bit of creativity it can be it's own thing.  

On 7/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, Matt87 said:

I think one of the major problems is having the corridor-like path through the entire area. The path should be relocated to one side and have all the stages/tents/bars on the other. The reason I'm guessing they have it like it is currently is to combat the sound bleed, but that's more of an issue with the sound levels and types of stage they have. 

It just needs a distinct personality. It's overshadowed by SE corner currently, but with a bit of creativity it can be it's own thing.  

I was there briefly at 24 hour Garage Girls. If not for that path, that would not have happened. So no corridor, no good @Matt87

On 7/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, Matt87 said:

The problem is where do you put the backstage areas? They take up a lot of space. If you had the venues on one side then you'd end up with fewer venues.

Edit: or much more severe sound bleed.

Edited by stuartbert two hats