Jump to content
gigpusher

Fitness for Glasto 2021

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

 

Was just looking for comedy tickets and stumbled on this free month long gym pass offer on Time Out:

https://checkout.timeout.com/london/a-one-month-free-trial-of-classpass-58379/

Oh wow, that's perfect!!!! I just signed up... And booked a 6.45am hiit class right next to work tomorrow morning. Thanks so much!!

Just need for remember to cancel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quark said:

Cheers all. Was the Barns Green Half, village outside Horsham in W Sussex. It's all country lanes, love it.

The frustrating thing for me isn't the time as I cleared my target, but how I finished. When it comes to stuff like this I'm normally a really strong finisher, so to be passed by so many people in the last mile as my pace went off the edge of a cliff was a real kick in the ego :lol:

Managed to pull a sprint out for the last 100m, then promptly went over like Bambi on ice as soon as I crossed the line!! Everything from the waist up was fine, but my legs were 100% on strike!!

I know the reason as well, I just hadn't trained enough at that kind of pace to get away with it on the day. Was just too big a jump from my training pace.

I saw a guy do this at the end of the Bristol half marathon, he was  finishing just in front of me. He sort of went down in stages - bit like he was doing a running version of the Madness dance. Legs still going like the clappers but he was slowly going over backwards. Is that the one?! No idea if he finished as I sprinted past him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sasperella said:

Oh wow, that's perfect!!!! I just signed up... And booked a 6.45am hiit class right next to work tomorrow morning. Thanks so much!!

Just need for remember to cancel!


Great stuff, though sure you won't be thanking me at 7am! I've got spin at 7.15am tomorrow, so will be suffering too.

If you want some healthy-ish grub in Brixton, I went here the other week - it was really nice:

https://www.mikosgyros.co.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Homer said:

I saw a guy do this at the end of the Bristol half marathon, he was  finishing just in front of me. He sort of went down in stages - bit like he was doing a running version of the Madness dance. Legs still going like the clappers but he was slowly going over backwards. Is that the one?! No idea if he finished as I sprinted past him!

Mine was probably less dignified! Made it over the line, came to a stop and legs then just went "nope!". Started with the wobble, then knees folded like a cheap suit. Down on knees and knuckles, tried to stand up and they still weren't having it. 

The moment of being directed to a chair by an elderly gentleman with a walking stick will live with me for a LONG time :D

Edited by Quark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quark said:

Mine was probably less dignified! Made it over the line, came to a stop and legs then just went "nope!". Started with the wobble, then knees folded like a cheap suit. Down on knees and knuckles, tried to stand up and they still weren't having it. 

The moment of being directed to a chair by an elderly gentleman with a walking stick will live with me for a LONG time :D

Ha ha - my best mate threw up the second he crossed the line at Bristol! He had just broken 1.30 though, so I suppose he can have that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone has signed up to the London Marathon apparently if you sign into your Realbuzz registration account and see a bib number then you are in... I unfortunately don't have one so haven't made the cut for next year!

I'm going to register for Berlin marathon tomorrow though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just went to the gym and then realised I now have no reason to go for the next year (at least)!

Oh ?

I was about to come here and say the opposite but now I feel like a dick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My group are all very dedicated to get in shape for this one. We all currently go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Moving that up to 5 and doing something about the diet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been for a few bike rides recently feel great then check Strava and it says I’ve burnt 250 calories or something, which reminds me I really need to sort my diet of beer and cheese out as well as doing exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Oh ?

I was about to come here and say the opposite but now I feel like a dick 

Ha ha - don't worry congrats on getting a ticket! And worry not, I will still be at spin at 7.15am tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Just been for a few bike rides recently feel great then check Strava and it says I’ve burnt 250 calories or something, which reminds me I really need to sort my diet of beer and cheese out as well as doing exercise.

Yeh...this is the problem. I thought I'd got off to an excellent Glasto 2020 start with a Body Pump class, but then for lunch ate four bits of toast with some (exceptionally delightful) red lentil and aubergine pate and a cheese and cucumber roll. Bread is such a weakness. I might have to ban it from the house. 

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha ha - don't worry congrats on getting a ticket! And worry not, I will still be at spin at 7.15am tomorrow!

Good to know :) I would miss your tips if not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Determined to crack C25K this year, got as far as ‘chubby camel shuffling’ for 20 minutes so it is in reach!

Adding in some F8 dance stuff too, so hoping for my fittest Glastonbury in 2020, though 2019 wasn’t bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in the aftermath of my failure to get tickets this morning I cancelled my clubbercise class and went out and ate my body weight in Chinese but now I'm at the bargaining stage of grief and part of that is promising that I'll continue to be good if the universe will just please, please let me get ballot tickets or tickets in the resale. 

So back on the wagon tomorrow. I must be virtuous in my quest for the golden tickets!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put my ticket back this year as to out of shape to make the most of it. Won't happen this year time to change as with a massive pot of gold if I do. Good luck all let's keep each other going 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After moping around all day that I didn’t get a ticket, I was of course greeted to a magazine telling me I was unsuccessful in the ballot for the marathon as well :( Luckily I’ve got the London half marathon to look forward to and (hopefully) tickets in the resale 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh my kind of thread! 

We dropped a disgusting amount of money on a power rack a few weeks back, and spend Saturday putting it in place and screwing it into the concrete. Yesterday I did my first workout on it - I'm restarting Stronglifts from the bar (I did it years back and got to 275lbs deadlift!) - and despite it being significantly less than my body is clearly capable of, I am in DOMS agony already.

I hope to tone up, get a nice flat tummy so I can wear those silly midriff belly tops, improve my stamina for walking miles in mud, and get a base level of strength for the huge pack on my back. Lets see where we get to by next year's festival.

Edited by beefykoala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smashed a 20 mile run yesterday. My last big run before Beachy Head marathon in three weeks. The training tapers down now and I'm really looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a full two week break from running after my half marathon, I’m about a week and a half back into my running schedule and seem to be getting back up to fitness quite quickly. With no races planned now until the back end of 2020 (I’m out of the country from Christmas until Glastonbury) I’m going to use the next few months to concentrate on setting a new 5k PB at a local park run. Without some sort of goal there is no way I’ll keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

After a full two week break from running after my half marathon, I’m about a week and a half back into my running schedule and seem to be getting back up to fitness quite quickly. With no races planned now until the back end of 2020 (I’m out of the country from Christmas until Glastonbury) I’m going to use the next few months to concentrate on setting a new 5k PB at a local park run. Without some sort of goal there is no way I’ll keep it up.

So true. I have to have some kind of log book to fill up with my workouts, like the goal is to get X workouts in by Y. The other goal is to be ripped af for Glastonbury. It's a subjective goal, but I think it will work :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the grindstone after a few weeks off following the half.  Training for the Fan Dance now, so time to switch the running up, dig out the TAB gear and start hitting the hills.  Did a sled / tyre flip / farmers walk session for the first time in ages last night, and it was exactly as dreadful as I thought it would be! :D

Signed up for the Forest of Dean spring trails half as well, something at the end of March to look forward to :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are planning on doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks 2 weeks before glasto,  will need a full weeks recovery as i could move for a few days previously and the blisters were hell

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my place sorted for Brighton marathon in April, and will be doing Richmond Park half at the midpoint in training - haven't been out in weeks so I think even a 10k is going to be a struggle!

May also book in Hackney half in May as that was good fun last year

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bro in law is coming for the first time in 2020, he's into his Wolf Runs 'n shit. Did I read correctly that there's a running event one day at the festival which someone organised, did this happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...