Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Another half stone lost in August. 4lb's to 5stone lost for this year and I just joined our local gym this weekend!! Not planning on becoming a gym bunny but hoping to do some swimming and the recommended Pilates class for my back. 

Congrats on the weight loss ... don’t forget to post about how the Pilates goes ... I’ve been tempted but never quite got round to it .. dodgy back too 

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Congrats on the weight loss ... don’t forget to post about how the Pilates goes ... I’ve been tempted but never quite got round to it .. dodgy back too 

Will do. I've never been very flexible not even as a child so expecting it to be a bit of a struggle but hopefully it will help. 

15 miles around Liverpool yesterday in preparation for my upcoming Beachy Head marathon. Pros - Felt pretty good and I've reached my fundraising target, Cons - Thigh chafing. This week I'll be running in the Lakes and next week, the French Riviera. No rest for the wicked!

Edited by jyoung

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

15 miles around Liverpool yesterday in preparation for my upcoming Beachy Head marathon. Pros - Felt pretty good and I've reached my fundraising target, Cons - Thigh chafing. This week I'll be running in the Lakes and next week, the French Riviera. No rest for the wicked!

Vaseline. It works for me.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

So I've read. Will it trap bacteria though*?

* I literally have no idea what I'm talking about and if that is even possible, just want to avoid a runners rash

Well, I have no idea about that. All I know is I did 14.5 miles yesterday and have no chafing today...

I am particularly susceptible to the chafing in the groinal region and itdefinitely does the trick. I can't believe I'm typing this, but I recommend experimenting with Vaseline!

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Well, I have no idea about that. All I know is I did 14.5 miles yesterday and have no chafing today...

I am particularly susceptible to the chafing in the groinal region and itdefinitely does the trick. I can't believe I'm typing this, but I recommend experimenting with Vaseline!

Your honesty is admirable.

I'll get back to you!

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

I bought my husband some runderwear for his birthday and he says that they are ace. They claim to prevent chafing and have a 20% off sale at the moment as well. Other than that he used to use lancane powder. 

Any of the body glide balms are good for anti- chaffing. 

I forgot to put some on for my long run and Saturday and lived to regret it! 

I've signed up to a half mara this month, December and January so that should keep me going fitness wise through the winter :) 

I'm also holding out hope for the a lucky ballot place for London Marathon but know it's (almost) as hard as getting your hands on Glasto tickets! 

2 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Any of the body glide balms are good for anti- chaffing. 

I forgot to put some on for my long run and Saturday and lived to regret it! 

I've signed up to a half mara this month, December and January so that should keep me going fitness wise through the winter :) 

I'm also holding out hope for the a lucky ballot place for London Marathon but know it's (almost) as hard as getting your hands on Glasto tickets! 

Actually it is way harder than getting a Glastonbury ticket which is why whenever anybody ever advocates for a ballot I am firmly in the no camp. Took my husband 5 years to get into the London Marathon and no several friends who have had 6/7 rejections and never managed to get in yet my husband's cousin who couldn't even run 1km got in at first attempt. Started trying to train and realised there was no way they'd ever be able to do it and so just didn't bother running it. Even as a non-runner it totally infuriates me how they do it. I think if they are going to do it by ballot you should at least be able to prove that you have done a half marathon to be able to apply. 

37 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Noice! It’s my first half so my aim to finish and ideally under 1.50, anything below that I’ll be well happy with

Your first one! Excellent. I hope you get a great time, and have an awesome experience - there's something very special about a first one, if it goes well. This is my fifth at Bristol, and I'm well into double figures overall.

25 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Actually it is way harder than getting a Glastonbury ticket which is why whenever anybody ever advocates for a ballot I am firmly in the no camp. Took my husband 5 years to get into the London Marathon and no several friends who have had 6/7 rejections and never managed to get in yet my husband's cousin who couldn't even run 1km got in at first attempt.

I have had 12 (yes, twelve) straight rejections from London!

I ran it once on a charity place but would not do that again as the pressure of fund-raising to a specified target was too stressful.

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Your first one! Excellent. I hope you get a great time, and have an awesome experience - there's something very special about a first one, if it goes well. This is my fifth at Bristol, and I'm well into double figures overall.

Thanks I’m excited, I’m feeling confident I’ll cope alright with the distance, just what time I get will come down to how hard I feel I can push it on the day. Certainly got the bug so I imagine it’ll be the first of many. Hope you have a great race ??

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Actually it is way harder than getting a Glastonbury ticket which is why whenever anybody ever advocates for a ballot I am firmly in the no camp. Took my husband 5 years to get into the London Marathon and no several friends who have had 6/7 rejections and never managed to get in yet my husband's cousin who couldn't even run 1km got in at first attempt. Started trying to train and realised there was no way they'd ever be able to do it and so just didn't bother running it. Even as a non-runner it totally infuriates me how they do it. I think if they are going to do it by ballot you should at least be able to prove that you have done a half marathon to be able to apply. 

Yeah or some way to prove you've had previous experience and are going to apply yourself and train.   I've been rejected twice but am in a way better position fitness wise this year to do it so am feeling hopeful. 

I've heard they never actually say how many people enter the ballot so people can't work out the odds of getting a space, not sure if that's right though. 

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I have had 12 (yes, twelve) straight rejections from London!

I ran it once on a charity place but would not do that again as the pressure of fund-raising to a specified target was too stressful.

Yes one of my friends decided to train hard enough to get the good for age spot as he can run pretty fast and thought that was easier. I know a few people who have done it for charity as well but particularly when you do a lot of running it can be quite hard to hit that target as even though it is obviously a massive achievement it's not the same as a fun runner who has never done anything like it before. That's why I think charity places should be for anyone and the rest of the places should be for people who are at least at half marathon distance. I'm planning on walking a marathon next year and will probably raise more than my husband did for running his because I am way less fit and people see it as more of an achievement for me to do it. 

18 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Yeah or some way to prove you've had previous experience and are going to apply yourself and train.   I've been rejected twice but am in a way better position fitness wise this year to do it so am feeling hopeful. 

I've heard they never actually say how many people enter the ballot so people can't work out the odds of getting a space, not sure if that's right though. 

I thought there was a cap on who could enter the ballot and that it was technically something like a 1 in 8 chance of getting a place but I could be making that up.