Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

25 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

And even if it does make you lose weight because it makes you keep the calorie deficit you still can't outrun a bad diet as I told my husband when he was diagnosed with high cholesterol. The food you use to fuel yourself has to be healthy food as well. Turns out lots of cheese and bacon and very little vegetables doesn't make you healthy even if the scales look ok! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

Yep that’s something I’m working on for sure .... just seen I’ve dropped .5 kg Since return to work ... not massive but on the right track 

Edited by crazyfool1

16 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

This is unfortunately so true!

Also running makes me hungry so it makes it even more important for me to track what I'm eating!

16 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

I've been relatively careful about what I eat since I left uni many years ago, and gradually got better and better in terms of what I stick in my gob. And I've been in pretty decent shape ever since.

Only twice have I followed a "diet".  One was a proper "muscle gain" diet when I was bulking up for rugby, and the other was a 6 week fat loss diet I did last year as I needed a bit of a kick and a change to get me started again.

The difference I noticed in the results of training by combining it with proper structured and measured diets was absolutely immense. Ridiculously so.

Went back to the gym for the first time today. Mine is usually 24 hours but they’ve reduced it to 6am-10pm so that it can always be staffed, so I got there dot on 6 thinking a lot of other people would have a similar plan and not wanting to have to fight over the equipment, but it was surprisingly empty - about 20 people max there at any time. Guessing some people just don’t feel safe coming back just yet (notably less old people there, possibly even none), or even the new times don’t fit their schedule.

Areas have been squared off so each person has their own area, and a bunch of cleaning stuff is dotted around to wipe down stuff, which everybody seemed to be doing. Hoping it stays empty-ish for a while as it was nice to be able to just ease back in to it. Just hope the cleanliness is kept up by everybody as obviously it just takes one arsehole who possibly has the virus to fuck it up for everybody, and unfortunately there are a fair few arseholes who frequent my gym.

After a big lul due to fatherhood and lockdown I've gone back to doing crossfit.

Haven't done it for a few years as I concentrated on running but as that took a backseat I felt I needed to freshen up my fitness life again.

Did a 7am class this morning and my god I loved it. 

• Upvote 1

Going to (pure) gym now to do some weights and have signed up on an app to play football later. Gym capacity has been reduced to 84 and says there are currently 32 in there so should be okay. Also, classes are currently first come first served (tempted to try and get on spinning tomorrow).

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I believe @zeppelin has and was going to report back after a week 

Morning, 

Sorry had a bit of a crazy Friday/Saturday which hampered my Sunday. 

So I went to the pool Saturday morning. Actually busier than normal for that time but still plenty of room. I'm going back at lunch today for another swim. So nice to be back in the water! 

Not been to the gym yet but hoping to do that tomorrow and Thursday. Slightly more worried about numbers there but we'll see. 

Overall organisation seemed good: temp check on entry, one way systems etc. Everyone seemed to be taking it seriously 🙂

Will report back at end of the week after a couple more swims and gym sessions. 

34 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

David Loyd on Sunday was quite busy in the pool's ( both outside and indoors ) the gym equipment was very well spaced out ( approx 1 meter ) but they have also taken every other one out of commission which makes me wonder if they are hedging their bets  that 2 meter will be reduced to 1 meter ! . they have also moved a whole load into a indoor tennis court but these " temp " gym equipment are 2 meter distance .

hand sanitizers everywhere you look , steam room and sauna closed , and to be fair , i didn't feel overlooked or my 2 meter space was being invaded at any point .

but as this was my first time at this gym ( or any gym for some years ) i cant say what the starting point would be ie what was normal before the plague. 

PS..... yes it bloody hurt , i now feel like i'm recovering from a autopsy 

The good news is you don't normally get to recover from an autopsy so you're doing alright!! Well done the first step is the hardest. 

My branch of my gym isn't open yet and I suspect it might be one of the last as the whole gym area is upstairs and the stairs aren't that wide. I am looking forward to getting back to it especially as the weather has been so bad recently. 

38 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

2nd time at the gym on way home from the office today, I think I am going to feel it tomorrow ! 

I was meant to go this morning but failed 😥
Booked in to swim in the morning but will try again Thursday. With it not being on the way to work I'm definitely worried it will be more difficult. I really want to go, but reminding myself that when I've just woken up is a nightmare.

Got back from hols Sunday and went to gym Mon and yesterday (and played football Mon night). 

Thought Pure Gym had done a decent job. Everything well spread out and always felt 'safe' (though am sure there were some who weren't bothering to wipe equipment down).

Did weights machines on Monday (and cardio machines yesterday). Was surprised that my strength hasn't reduced in lockdown and was still using the same weight settings. On the flipside, def aching much more than I normally would after!

Going to pop back later this morning for a core workout, then go to footie training tonight.

Edited by Homer

Just had a weigh in and I’ve lost 3.7 kg or just over 8lb in a month by eating a bit less  and walking more at work and I’m back below 100kg :) I’ve not really done masses to achieve this so I’m really happy ... still investigating gym /pool options 

• Upvote 1

Gym opening on Monday, going to be strange as you can only work in one area with the equipment available at that station, then you clean everything down afterwards.  I guess the first session I will see what I've got available then can write some programs up after that.   Will be nice to get back on the squat rack tho.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Correct. 5 times across America, put on two pounds.

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 2

So, been back at the gym for five days and been every day, plus played football twice on top. Pleased to say that all the annoying jogging I've been doing has paid off as it turns out that I'm still pretty fit; could run my arse off in the heat at football training on Weds.

Back to work Monday and am going to get back into the old routine, so just weighed myself for the first time in four months and turns out I put on half a stone on furlough (I'll take it). Going to carry on hammering the gym and fitness (I'm working from home full time now so will be easy to exercise) and I should knock it off in a few weeks easy.

So a week in and I've been to Nuffield six times.

• Swim, four times - Saturday 10:30, Monday 12:45, Wednesday 07:15, Friday 07:15
  • Gym, twice - Wednesday 07:00, Today 09:30

Overall it's been great. Staff and public taking it seriously and I'm so happy to be being active again.

Swimming: The early slots in the week are great as there's been very few people there - 5 and 3 including me - so there's been plenty of space. This is probably because it's city centre and most users are from nearby offices which are all empty at the moment. There's a one way system around the pool but in a 30 min slot no one's getting in or out anyway. The Monday lunch slot was much busier as they were using half the pool for Aqua and there were 6 of us trying to do lengths in the other half. My only criticism would be that they've only split the pool in two; I think with 4 lanes for example it would be easier to arrange by speed but it's working. The first Saturday was actually busier than I've seen it some normal Saturdays but not sure if it was because it was the first morning back.

Gym: Apart from me losing a lot of muscle growth (I'd only started going regularly in January so it wasn't much) it's been great. There's slightly less equipment so having to rejig my workout slightly but other than that it's been business as usual. Now the two times I've been there's only been about five other people there. Obviously this is great for me, but it does make me wonder if the place will survive. Again there's a one way system, and plenty of wipe pods to clean the equipment down afterwards.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep going regularly. I was really happy with how I'd manage to pick it up at the start of the year so personally it was a massive blow when lockdown hit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

First session back in the gym today, so glad to see certain pieces of equipment such as the rowing machine and squat rack, even enjoyed a tabata session on the battle ropes.

Tabata...🤢

My gym (if I ever go back!) has one of the skill mill resistance treadmills.  Tabata session on that, with the 20s work as a full resistance leg drive, is proper grim