Jump to content

Fitness for Glasto 2021


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I can't recommend couch to 5k enough!! After trying and failing to get "into" running for ages this was the thing that finally made it click for me and let me build up stamina without the dreaded injuries (I always used to get shin splints before).

3 years later I've done multiple 10ks & half marathons and even a marathon and actually run for fun now! 

I would say start it 100%, keep to the intervals they say even if it feels a bit easy to begin with and you'll be running 5km in no time! :)

thankyou .... just got to work a routine out .....and best timings to be doing it ... cant see me enjoying it ... but needs must :) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Close but no cigar. 1:55:51 was the time, kept pace with the 1:50 marker until about 10 miles in, but legs gave out. I knew the hills were coming but they just finished me off! Still, the target

Guys, thanks so much for all the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the blue dot watching. Legs are sooooo drained today, my left foot and right ankle I twisted coming down Scafell have been happier, but th

Did couch to 5km on treadmill, ending in 5km in 30 mins. went outside this morning did 5km in 26:25, happy days

Posted Images

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

And even if it does make you lose weight because it makes you keep the calorie deficit you still can't outrun a bad diet as I told my husband when he was diagnosed with high cholesterol. The food you use to fuel yourself has to be healthy food as well. Turns out lots of cheese and bacon and very little vegetables doesn't make you healthy even if the scales look ok! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

Yep that’s something I’m working on for sure .... just seen I’ve dropped .5 kg Since return to work ... not massive but on the right track 

Edited by crazyfool1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

This is unfortunately so true!

Also running makes me hungry so it makes it even more important for me to track what I'm eating!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

I've been relatively careful about what I eat since I left uni many years ago, and gradually got better and better in terms of what I stick in my gob. And I've been in pretty decent shape ever since.

Only twice have I followed a "diet".  One was a proper "muscle gain" diet when I was bulking up for rugby, and the other was a 6 week fat loss diet I did last year as I needed a bit of a kick and a change to get me started again.

The difference I noticed in the results of training by combining it with proper structured and measured diets was absolutely immense. Ridiculously so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from eight day hols and realised my gym has reopened. Seriously tempted to go tomorrow. Seriously bored of running now and my knee may thank me for it. Has anyone else been yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just back from eight day hols and realised my gym has reopened. Seriously tempted to go tomorrow. Seriously bored of running now and my knee may thank me for it. Has anyone else been yet?

I believe @zeppelin has and was going to report back after a week 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went back to the gym for the first time today. Mine is usually 24 hours but they’ve reduced it to 6am-10pm so that it can always be staffed, so I got there dot on 6 thinking a lot of other people would have a similar plan and not wanting to have to fight over the equipment, but it was surprisingly empty - about 20 people max there at any time. Guessing some people just don’t feel safe coming back just yet (notably less old people there, possibly even none), or even the new times don’t fit their schedule.

Areas have been squared off so each person has their own area, and a bunch of cleaning stuff is dotted around to wipe down stuff, which everybody seemed to be doing. Hoping it stays empty-ish for a while as it was nice to be able to just ease back in to it. Just hope the cleanliness is kept up by everybody as obviously it just takes one arsehole who possibly has the virus to fuck it up for everybody, and unfortunately there are a fair few arseholes who frequent my gym.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After a big lul due to fatherhood and lockdown I've gone back to doing crossfit.

Haven't done it for a few years as I concentrated on running but as that took a backseat I felt I needed to freshen up my fitness life again.

Did a 7am class this morning and my god I loved it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to (pure) gym now to do some weights and have signed up on an app to play football later. Gym capacity has been reduced to 84 and says there are currently 32 in there so should be okay. Also, classes are currently first come first served (tempted to try and get on spinning tomorrow).

Link to post
Share on other sites

well , Mrs D joined us up to the gym during lock down , went for the first time yesterday , OMG my body hurts now . i better keep this up in preparation for dragging the Glasto truck through the green gates of happiness next year .

this with the diet change over lock down ( lost 8lb so far ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I believe @zeppelin has and was going to report back after a week 

Morning, 

Sorry had a bit of a crazy Friday/Saturday which hampered my Sunday. 

So I went to the pool Saturday morning. Actually busier than normal for that time but still plenty of room. I'm going back at lunch today for another swim. So nice to be back in the water! 

Not been to the gym yet but hoping to do that tomorrow and Thursday. Slightly more worried about numbers there but we'll see. 

Overall organisation seemed good: temp check on entry, one way systems etc. Everyone seemed to be taking it seriously 🙂

Will report back at end of the week after a couple more swims and gym sessions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Morning, 

Sorry had a bit of a crazy Friday/Saturday which hampered my Sunday. 

So I went to the pool Saturday morning. Actually busier than normal for that time but still plenty of room. I'm going back at lunch today for another swim. So nice to be back in the water! 

Not been to the gym yet but hoping to do that tomorrow and Thursday. Slightly more worried about numbers there but we'll see. 

Overall organisation seemed good: temp check on entry, one way systems etc. Everyone seemed to be taking it seriously 🙂

Will report back at end of the week after a couple more swims and gym sessions. 

David Loyd on Sunday was quite busy in the pool's ( both outside and indoors ) the gym equipment was very well spaced out ( approx 1 meter ) but they have also taken every other one out of commission which makes me wonder if they are hedging their bets  that 2 meter will be reduced to 1 meter ! . they have also moved a whole load into a indoor tennis court but these " temp " gym equipment are 2 meter distance .

hand sanitizers everywhere you look , steam room and sauna closed , and to be fair , i didn't feel overlooked or my 2 meter space was being invaded at any point .

but as this was my first time at this gym ( or any gym for some years ) i cant say what the starting point would be ie what was normal before the plague. 

PS..... yes it bloody hurt , i now feel like i'm recovering from a autopsy 

Edited by Big durbs
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

David Loyd on Sunday was quite busy in the pool's ( both outside and indoors ) the gym equipment was very well spaced out ( approx 1 meter ) but they have also taken every other one out of commission which makes me wonder if they are hedging their bets  that 2 meter will be reduced to 1 meter ! . they have also moved a whole load into a indoor tennis court but these " temp " gym equipment are 2 meter distance .

hand sanitizers everywhere you look , steam room and sauna closed , and to be fair , i didn't feel overlooked or my 2 meter space was being invaded at any point .

but as this was my first time at this gym ( or any gym for some years ) i cant say what the starting point would be ie what was normal before the plague. 

PS..... yes it bloody hurt , i now feel like i'm recovering from a autopsy 

The good news is you don't normally get to recover from an autopsy so you're doing alright!! Well done the first step is the hardest. 

My branch of my gym isn't open yet and I suspect it might be one of the last as the whole gym area is upstairs and the stairs aren't that wide. I am looking forward to getting back to it especially as the weather has been so bad recently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, gigpusher said:

The good news is you don't normally get to recover from an autopsy so you're doing alright!! Well done the first step is the hardest. 

My branch of my gym isn't open yet and I suspect it might be one of the last as the whole gym area is upstairs and the stairs aren't that wide. I am looking forward to getting back to it especially as the weather has been so bad recently. 

2nd time at the gym on way home from the office today, I think I am going to feel it tomorrow ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

2nd time at the gym on way home from the office today, I think I am going to feel it tomorrow ! 

I was meant to go this morning but failed 😥
Booked in to swim in the morning but will try again Thursday. With it not being on the way to work I'm definitely worried it will be more difficult. I really want to go, but reminding myself that when I've just woken up is a nightmare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I was meant to go this morning but failed 😥
Booked in to swim in the morning but will try again Thursday. With it not being on the way to work I'm definitely worried it will be more difficult. I really want to go, but reminding myself that when I've just woken up is a nightmare.

I just can’t do it in the morning, I have to unlock the office and I love my bed far to much lol , good luck on Thursday, I’m going to try again on the way on on Thursday too .

but if I keep this up I will have to change from big D to slightly smaller D lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got back from hols Sunday and went to gym Mon and yesterday (and played football Mon night). 

Thought Pure Gym had done a decent job. Everything well spread out and always felt 'safe' (though am sure there were some who weren't bothering to wipe equipment down).

Did weights machines on Monday (and cardio machines yesterday). Was surprised that my strength hasn't reduced in lockdown and was still using the same weight settings. On the flipside, def aching much more than I normally would after!

Going to pop back later this morning for a core workout, then go to footie training tonight.

Edited by Homer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a weigh in and I’ve lost 3.7 kg or just over 8lb in a month by eating a bit less  and walking more at work and I’m back below 100kg :) I’ve not really done masses to achieve this so I’m really happy ... still investigating gym /pool options 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gym opening on Monday, going to be strange as you can only work in one area with the equipment available at that station, then you clean everything down afterwards.  I guess the first session I will see what I've got available then can write some programs up after that.   Will be nice to get back on the squat rack tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Thing to remember is running won’t make you lose weight. As the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet. Only calorie deficit will reduce weight. However, running will do masses for your mental health and cardiovascular health.

Correct. 5 times across America, put on two pounds.

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...