Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

There are lots of sites that give advice based on foot width and whether you under or over pronate which they can ascertain based on where you can see the wear on your shoes. I think you can also stand on paper with a wet foot and they can make guesses based on what your footprint looks like. 

I have a wide foot and Brooks Addiction Walking trainers are excellent for me. 

Cheers ... no idea what I have but this is the state of my soles that I noticed yesterday and it can’t be doing me much good ...

F04DE999-E2A3-4D7A-8EA1-6E0E11CE29F3.jpeg

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Cheers ... no idea what I have but this is the state of my soles that I noticed yesterday and it can’t be doing me much good ...

F04DE999-E2A3-4D7A-8EA1-6E0E11CE29F3.jpeg

Just at a very quick google maybe look at a website like this https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/34786373-what-are-your-running-shoes-trying-to-tell-you 

They'll give you an indication of whether you need a neutral or support shoe. Sportsshoes.com are quite good then for telling you what they have in your size that meets your needs. 

I've just done a very quick google but you may find other sites that can help more if that site I've put in here doesn't answer your questions. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Good work and happy birthday!

Back into a rhythm now.  I've now got an upper and a lower body weights session I can do quite nicely in the garage in about 45 minutes, so I'm not faffing around working out what to do any more.  Got out for a nice 7.5km run on Sunday evening, and out on the bikes for about 30km with Mrs Q last night. 

The run wasn't that bad, but can definitely tell I've been slacking.  The good news is that now we have a bit more clarity on being able to drive for exercise I can pop 10 mins down the road to one of the car parks that's still open and get on my favourite running routes up in the south downs proper, looking forward to that :)

Thanks Quark! 

What sets are you doing for Upper body? I haven't got anything organised for it and I feel like this is a problem. Keep up the good work :)

Edited by Kalopsia

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Just at a very quick google maybe look at a website like this https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/34786373-what-are-your-running-shoes-trying-to-tell-you 

They'll give you an indication of whether you need a neutral or support shoe. Sportsshoes.com are quite good then for telling you what they have in your size that meets your needs. 

I've just done a very quick google but you may find other sites that can help more if that site I've put in here doesn't answer your questions. 

Cheers that looks very helpful will investigate further :) much appreciated wasn’t quite aware of what can go into buying shoes !! :) 

Just now, Kalopsia said:

Thanks Quark! 

What sets are you doing for Upper body? I haven't got anything organised for it and I feel like this is a problem. Keep up the good work :)

I'm lucky as I've got some kit in the garage.  Hardest part was getting out of the mindset of trying to translate what I was doing in a fully stocked gym into my garage, but got my head round that now.  Do a few warm up exercises with bands that I've been given by the physio for my shoulders, then split looks something like this, all done as supersets to keep the time down. Straight from first exercise into the second, then a ,minute rest between sets. 3 sets of each, takes about 45 mins. 

Chin ups + barbell shoulder press

Barbell bench press + barbell row

Dumbbell shoulder flys + pressups

Band face pulls + barbell curl

Band  rear shoulder flys + barbell overhead tricep extension

Punchbag session to finish if I'm in the mood.

Main aim for me was to have something that makes sure I'm doing at least one thing in every direction as I need to keep my shoulder mobility up. It's not that heavy either; my fully stacked barbell is only about 35-40kg. But you can do all sorts by slowing down tempo, half reps, all that kind of stuff. I come out of it aching!

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sure ive seen shoe advice on here before ... but my soles have started wearing in some odd places ... I must walk / jog in a strange way .... ive had it drummed into me since childhood that i should try shoes on before I buy them but thats obviously difficult / impossible at the moment and realistically i end up buying the first pair I try anyway ... any recommendations mostly using them for tarmac walking / jogging 

If you like the ones you had, just buy the same model+size again. The sizing won't have changed and any manufacturing variation will be so minimal as to make no difference.

I've been buying the same trainers for at least 15 years and will again next time, when you find something that works for you why change?

11 minutes ago, incident said:

If you like the ones you had, just buy the same model+size again. The sizing won't have changed and any manufacturing variation will be so minimal as to make no difference.

I've been buying the same trainers for at least 15 years and will again next time, when you find something that works for you why change?

It’s more that looking at the wear on the heels concerns me ... I’ll look and see if they still make them .. definately an option :) 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s more that looking at the wear on the heels concerns me ... I’ll look and see if they still make them .. definately an option :) 

Not that unusual tbh, certainly when walking a lot of people come down on their heels first.  That's a similar pattern of wear to what I see on my normal shoes.

If that's your wear pattern from running you might need to take a look at your running stride. I used to run more with the initial impact on my heels like that, and it gave me all sorts of shin problems.  Gradually adjusted my stride so I land flatter on the sole of the foot these days and I feel a lot better for it.

There's people on here who run a hell of a lot more than I do though, so I'll defer to the experts on this one

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not that unusual tbh, certainly when walking a lot of people come down on their heels first.  That's a similar pattern of wear to what I see on my normal shoes.

If that's your wear pattern from running you might need to take a look at your running stride. I used to run more with the initial impact on my heels like that, and it gave me all sorts of shin problems.  Gradually adjusted my stride so I land flatter on the sole of the foot these days and I feel a lot better for it.

There's people on here who run a hell of a lot more than I do though, so I'll defer to the experts on this one

I mostly walk at present but I’m trying to add some running to that at the moment ... shin problems have been common of late but I had put that down to the increase in walking I’m doing ... thanks although the shoes presumably aren’t helping 

Edited by crazyfool1

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I mostly walk at present but I’m trying to add some running to that at the moment ... shin problems have been common of late but I had put that down to the increase in walking I’m doing ... thanks although the shoes presumably aren’t helping 

Might be worth looking up shoes for "heel striking" as it looks like that's where the force is when you put your foot down.

If your shoes are worn out it won't be doing much good for injuries/ shin issues so you'll probably notice the difference in a new pair straight away. 

8 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Might be worth looking up shoes for "heel striking" as it looks like that's where the force is when you put your foot down.

If your shoes are worn out it won't be doing much good for injuries/ shin issues so you'll probably notice the difference in a new pair straight away. 

Crumbs I’d never known shoe buying was so technical ... I’ve just realised I’ve been using trail shoes which I’ve no idea if they are ok for road use or not ... that’s nearly a day taken up with shoe research ... when before I’d just go in and buy the pair I liked the colour /design of :) thanks 

It's getting tougher to keep up with the fitness on lockdown, fortunately I haven't put on any timber according to the scales but I'm definitely not doing as much in terms of workouts and feel more sluggish, and I'll be back to square 1 with the running as I haven't done a decent run in 4 weeks.  Heading into the gym (garage) today for a long session so hopefully feel better after that.

8 minutes ago, Padgey said:

It's getting tougher to keep up with the fitness on lockdown, fortunately I haven't put on any timber according to the scales but I'm definitely not doing as much in terms of workouts and feel more sluggish, and I'll be back to square 1 with the running as I haven't done a decent run in 4 weeks.  Heading into the gym (garage) today for a long session so hopefully feel better after that.

The first couple are definitely bastards mate I won't lie!  But it feels good to get back on the proverbial horse :D

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The first couple are definitely bastards mate I won't lie!  But it feels good to get back on the proverbial horse :D

I started back after Christmas and after the first few was really enjoying it, got up to 10k and was doing some decent times.  Done it once so will do it again.

The weights and home circuits keep me ticking along though so won't be too bad when lockdown is over.

14 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I started back after Christmas and after the first few was really enjoying it, got up to 10k and was doing some decent times.  Done it once so will do it again.

The weights and home circuits keep me ticking along though so won't be too bad when lockdown is over.

That's pretty much what I'm aiming for.  Now I've got the weights splits sorted and with the bike and running options, I have zero excuses for coming out of the end of this out of shape!

• Upvote 1

Been suffering with my achilles in both legs (ffs) for a while now.

Off for a long (by current standards) run in an hour which will be 10km.

2nd run of my heart rate training sessions so will be a very slow plod staying in zone 2 which is 118 - 137 beats per minute for me.

Anyone else done the above type of training? How did you find it?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

2nd run of my heart rate training sessions so will be a very slow plod staying in zone 2 which is 118 - 137 beats per minute for me.

KT tape is a god send for achilles injuries, I got some with fairly decent Amazon reviews and watched some videos of how to apply.

I've managed to continue marathon training with the KT support. 

I'm going to give mine a break after this weekend (Big virtual marathon weekend 😰) but I would not have been able to carry on training without it! 

• Upvote 1

I once went to David Lloyd and got a, going to Glastonbury fitness programme, made up for me. It involved swinging one of those log things from side to side and stepping up and down, on something, while pushing weights in the air. :agree:

21 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks Quark! 

21 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm lucky as I've got some kit in the garage.  Hardest part was getting out of the mindset of trying to translate what I was doing in a fully stocked gym into my garage, but got my head round that now.  Do a few warm up exercises with bands that I've been given by the physio for my shoulders, then split looks something like this, all done as supersets to keep the time down. Straight from first exercise into the second, then a ,minute rest between sets. 3 sets of each, takes about 45 mins. 

Main aim for me was to have something that makes sure I'm doing at least one thing in every direction as I need to keep my shoulder mobility up. It's not that heavy either; my fully stacked barbell is only about 35-40kg. But you can do all sorts by slowing down tempo, half reps, all that kind of stuff. I come out of it aching!

I was lucky enough to have bought a set of adjustable dumbbells a few weeks before all this started, so have the option of doing weights at home. Good job too, as my body's tendency is to drop weight during periods of inactivity. Generally I find that I start a rugby season at somewhere between 13.5 and 14 stone, then shed weight during the season due to more running around and less weights, and end the season somewhere around 12.5 stone. If I had a month of zero weights, or at least running into people, I'd probably drop under 12 stone (I'm 6ft). 

As it is, the dumbbells, which are only 15kg, have meant I've put on half a stone of muscle in a few weeks, and am up to 13.5 stone. 

Actually finding lockdown really beneficial health wise!

Been sticking with my schedule of running then doing a workout at home every morning Tuesday to Thursday and then doing less over the weekend. I think it's really helping with the mental side of things and am enjoying the endorphins. Also allows me to give myself the rest of the day off!

On 4/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, gigpusher said:

There are lots of sites that give advice based on foot width and whether you under or over pronate which they can ascertain based on where you can see the wear on your shoes. I think you can also stand on paper with a wet foot and they can make guesses based on what your footprint looks like. 

I have a wide foot and Brooks Addiction Walking trainers are excellent for me. 

I’ve ended up buying a pair of brooks trainers and they are probably the most comfortable trainers I’ve ever owned .. so thanks ... just got to wait a bit before using them fully as I’m suffering shin splints at the moment ... but thank you :) 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, JoeyT said:

Yep I do this. I follow the maffetone method. Done it for 10 months or so. At first I thought " how can this improve my pace when I'm hardly moving?" But after about 4 months I went out and my pace improved by a good 0.5 min per mile. My heart rate was so much lower too which meant that I could run much further. Stamina was much improved. My pace in my HR range has got quicker so it's less of a plod. Overall my general fitness has improved no end. Just gotta keep with it. People think you've got to run faster and harder all the time to get fitter and the further and faster you run, the fitter you are, but its not true. Look at their average heart rate during exercise. That will indicate fitness. 

4 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Yep I do this. I follow the maffetone method. Done it for 10 months or so. At first I thought " how can this improve my pace when I'm hardly moving?" But after about 4 months I went out and my pace improved by a good 0.5 min per mile. My heart rate was so much lower too which meant that I could run much further. Stamina was much improved. My pace in my HR range has got quicker so it's less of a plod. Overall my general fitness has improved no end. Just gotta keep with it. People think you've got to run faster and harder all the time to get fitter and the further and faster you run, the fitter you are, but its not true. Look at their average heart rate during exercise. That will indicate fitness. 

I've now got images of you cursing as you run down the railway track!

In all seriousness though I know what you mean about pace...

It took me an hour and 20 odd min to run 10km on Wednesday!

• Like 1