Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I've got a 3 piece Golds Gym set in the garage.  They do take some getting used to if you've not used them before; resistance increases the further the stretch which makes it a progressive increase, as opposed to the static load you get with weights.  But at the moment, without access to the usual kit, they're well worth it.

The only thing I'd notice about this set is that it doesn't have any fabric sleeving on the ropes.  The set I've got has a sleeve in the middle so that the rubber doesn't get damaged when you're standing on it or anchoring it against something.  Might be worth finding something you can use just to avoid any small tears in the rubber, but if you're using it indoors then I reckon you should be OK without.

I'd do it.

There's a few virtual runs going on. 

The London Landmarks Half, are doing a Local Landmarks half.

You can do 5k, 10k or a half marathon anywhere near you (you have to be alone), log in on Strava or something similar and send a pic over to them.

It's £12 but it goes to charity, you get a medal and it means there is something in the diary to train for as it needs to be done before 3rd May. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I've got a 3 piece Golds Gym set in the garage.  They do take some getting used to if you've not used them before; resistance increases the further the stretch which makes it a progressive increase, as opposed to the static load you get with weights.  But at the moment, without access to the usual kit, they're well worth it.

The only thing I'd notice about this set is that it doesn't have any fabric sleeving on the ropes.  The set I've got has a sleeve in the middle so that the rubber doesn't get damaged when you're standing on it or anchoring it against something.  Might be worth finding something you can use just to avoid any small tears in the rubber, but if you're using it indoors then I reckon you should be OK without.

I'd do it.

Thanks!

FYI I googled 'increase lung capacity' yesterday and it said first up to do resistance work as it will get you out of breath (I was considering getting some already anyway - that's not the specific reason I'm getting them!).

Just managed to run 5k around my local park (nine laps) without getting nicked.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks!

FYI I googled 'increase lung capacity' yesterday and it said first up to do resistance work as it will get you out of breath (I was considering getting some already anyway - that's not the specific reason I'm getting them!).

Just managed to run 5k around my local park (nine laps) without getting nicked.

Hoping this carries me through.

20200315_204854.jpg

38 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Is anybody doing the Joe Wicks workout with their kids at 9 o'clock each morning?  Good bit of fun and great seeing my 3 year old doing the exercises, it's like a little bonus workout each day. 

Nah man, that's the most cynical book selling money grab I've ever seen. Jesus Christ pose.

15 hours ago, Superscally said:

Nah man, that's the most cynical book selling money grab I've ever seen. Jesus Christ pose.

No need to buy any books, it's a workout you can do with your kids and doesn't cost a thing.

Bought that resistance bands set ta. Saw a guy attaching some to the cricket net in the park outside our flat, so could be a good way to start the day a few days a week (and a nice alternative to cardio).

Wife has found a Les Mills HIIT body pump class, which I'll try later. Hoping that going at a faster pace will help compensate for the lighter weights.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Bought that resistance bands set ta. Saw a guy attaching some to the cricket net in the park outside our flat, so could be a good way to start the day a few days a week (and a nice alternative to cardio).

Wife has found a Les Mills HIIT body pump class, which I'll try later. Hoping that going at a faster pace will help compensate for the lighter weights.

Cool, let me know how you get on with them!

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend a good online Pilates class. I tried doing some of my classes from memory but established that it's official my memory sucks and I don't know if I am doing things for the right length of time so I think I'd like an online class to follow. My back needs this as obviously only able to go out once a day and I have to use that for walking the dogs which isn't always an exercise pace!!

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Great idea, just make sure your hat is secured properly and hope no one lives in the house below you! 

I’ll be doing it outside in my courtyard hidden away from view and bearing in mind 3 out of the 6 flats in my block have social distancers ... they guy below me is also deaf and says he’s never heard me :)