Jump to content

Fitness for Glasto 2021


Recommended Posts

Just now, Quark said:

Current advice is still that you can go out for exercise, but keep the 2m distance from others.  So getting out to the park or out for a run is still OK, just not in groups.

I'm definitely going to be clinging to my runs for as long as I'm allowed.  Although being n the sticks I do have the advantage of it not exactly being crowded out and about

I went and played football in the end last night. We all sanitised beforehand and I probably bumped into a few people here and there (my marking wasn't exactly as tight as it could have been at times!). I know running is preferable but it was the only time I went out all day (drove past my local zone three pub and there must have been about 50 people in there sadly - average business for a weds I would imagine!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Close but no cigar. 1:55:51 was the time, kept pace with the 1:50 marker until about 10 miles in, but legs gave out. I knew the hills were coming but they just finished me off! Still, the target

Guys, thanks so much for all the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the blue dot watching. Legs are sooooo drained today, my left foot and right ankle I twisted coming down Scafell have been happier, but th

Did couch to 5km on treadmill, ending in 5km in 30 mins. went outside this morning did 5km in 26:25, happy days

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes got to admit I had some chocolate lst night and probably been boredom eating a bit too much. If we go on a full Spanish style lock down I don't know how I'll cope. They are only allowed out to walk dogs up to 50 metres away from their home and can only go 1 at a time. I love my daily dog walks and I don't come into contact with anyone so don't know what harm it does. 

50meters? Gosh, I didn't realise that. I thought the French were still allowed to go outside for "individual exercise", which I assumed meant jogging and dog walking! Maybe it's different for the Italians?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I know of at least 3 people who have gone out and bought weights so I think this could be a thing..

To be fair, I have never bought weights before in my life, so clearly I am a key culprit. I just wasn't quite as quick of the mark!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quark said:

Morph wins the thread.

Had the email last night cancelling the Forest of Dean Half on the 29th, another one gone!  No events to train for now, just got that little bit harder to keep motivation up!

I still have a 10km trail booked in June which hasn't (yet) been cancelled but am otherwise in the same boat.

I'm doing the virtual marathon instead of my real one in April but can feel that my motivation has already started sliding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

50meters? Gosh, I didn't realise that. I thought the French were still allowed to go outside for "individual exercise", which I assumed meant jogging and dog walking! Maybe it's different for the Italians?

Most of my team are in Barcelona. My boss and his wife can shag at home but can't walk their dog outside together!!! His wife did their dogs afternoon walk yesterday and saw someone being fined for being sat on a bench on their own. One of my colleagues tried to walk their 2 Newfies with her Mum and they were told they had to go seperately. It's that level of lockdown that panics me!! I have 2 high maintenance dogs. They walk much better together but are hard work to manage on your own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How are we getting on people? I played football  last night - outdoors and 10 min drive from my house - so am now on four for the week. Need to do one more of something today to hit my weekly five. Football options today are further away, so that's out.

More opportunity to go outside in the daytime tomorrow and Sunday (will prob go on a couple of walks), so will swerve the football. Waiting to hear if circuits on Clap Common is going ahead both days. If not, I'll make do with a Les Mills/Liz Mulls class at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dusted off the gym gear in my garage last night.  It's not perfect, but I'm going to be able to cobble it together for as long as I have to.  Compensated for the absence of heavy plates on squats last night by slowing the movement right down and getting my butt right to the floor, proper ATG squats. Legs on fire by the end of it! Good news is I've got all the gear I need to keep the rehab on my shoulders going.

The community group in the village is distributing leaflets to every house so anyone who's having to isolate has access to someone who can help them out, so going to build that into either a run or a bike ride later on.

Mrs Q was knocking seven bells out of the punchbag the other night. We haven't spent this much time together for years, so I reckon that things going to be taking a kicking over the next 2 months :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Homer said:

How are we getting on people? I played football  last night - outdoors and 10 min drive from my house - so am now on four for the week. Need to do one more of something today to hit my weekly five. Football options today are further away, so that's out.

More opportunity to go outside in the daytime tomorrow and Sunday (will prob go on a couple of walks), so will swerve the football. Waiting to hear if circuits on Clap Common is going ahead both days. If not, I'll make do with a Les Mills/Liz Mulls class at home.

Got to admit I have been struggling a bit boredom eating and not being as active as normal. Am hoping I can get back to the gym on Monday. If not I need to definitely create a regime at home of doing my own Clubbercise classes and not eating rubbish. Doesn't help that there is nothing in the shops so you end up buying what you can and it's often less healthy options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Got to admit I have been struggling a bit boredom eating and not being as active as normal. Am hoping I can get back to the gym on Monday. If not I need to definitely create a regime at home of doing my own Clubbercise classes and not eating rubbish. Doesn't help that there is nothing in the shops so you end up buying what you can and it's often less healthy options. 

Yeah, I've found this too. Have been eating a lot more bread and we also have crisps in the house (usually banned). Reduced choice def isn't helping!

I've decided that once the lockdown comes I'm going to restrict drinking to Sat and Sun (days off work) and Weds (to bridge the gap). Sat night is going to be Mexican night too. Sunday, roast day (obvs), plus a few healthy days too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I've found this too. Have been eating a lot more bread and we also have crisps in the house (usually banned). Reduced choice def isn't helping!

I've decided that once the lockdown comes I'm going to restrict drinking to Sat and Sun (days off work) and Weds (to bridge the gap). Sat night is going to be Mexican night too. Sunday, roast day (obvs), plus a few healthy days too.

I visited 3 supermarkets and  local shops o try and find wraps and none could be found!! We've had chocolate in the house since before Christmas and have resisted it but the other night we ended up eating it! We're due to go on holiday near Whitby next Friday and the plan was we'd eat a bit worse but would be doing lots of walking. I'm hoping the lockdown situation doesn't get worse or else the whole holiday could be pointless. If i'm just going to sit in a house I'd rather it's my own house. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I visited 3 supermarkets and  local shops o try and find wraps and none could be found!! We've had chocolate in the house since before Christmas and have resisted it but the other night we ended up eating it! We're due to go on holiday near Whitby next Friday and the plan was we'd eat a bit worse but would be doing lots of walking. I'm hoping the lockdown situation doesn't get worse or else the whole holiday could be pointless. If i'm just going to sit in a house I'd rather it's my own house. 

Yeah, I gave up buying bread almost two years ago and started buying wholemeal pitta packs instead. Not a chance of getting them now! I also bulk buy savoury popcorn online to replace crisps as a healthier snack and I've run out. Going to try and buy more later today - don't fancy my chances!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I gave up buying bread almost two years ago and started buying wholemeal pitta packs instead. Not a chance of getting them now! I also bulk buy savoury popcorn online to replace crisps as a healthier snack and I've run out. Going to try and buy more later today - don't fancy my chances!

I did get a graze order in yesterday and they are doing 30% off if that helps anyone out with healthy snacking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

shin splint central last night - not really sure what to do about it, maybe struggle through the last 2-3 weeks of hard training before tapering off and running 26.2 anyway? or will my leg explode?? very annoying halfway through week 12 of a 16 week plan!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

shin splint central last night - not really sure what to do about it, maybe struggle through the last 2-3 weeks of hard training before tapering off and running 26.2 anyway? or will my leg explode?? very annoying halfway through week 12 of a 16 week plan!

Might be worth a physio visit. I've always found 1 or 2 visits can be enough to get over injuries (along with following the exercises they give you at home) Sometimes battling on is ok but sometimes you can just make it a load worse and I find physios are best equipped to let you know what to do in what circumstances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Might be worth a physio visit. I've always found 1 or 2 visits can be enough to get over injuries (along with following the exercises they give you at home) Sometimes battling on is ok but sometimes you can just make it a load worse and I find physios are best equipped to let you know what to do in what circumstances. 

think its for the best, going to ice it and rest for now and try a 5-10km on the weekend and see how I get on - but may move to getting a physio appointment if no better after this week (assuming theyre still open!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

think its for the best, going to ice it and rest for now and try a 5-10km on the weekend and see how I get on - but may move to getting a physio appointment if no better after this week (assuming theyre still open!)

I'd guess small local ones will be unless there is a government forced shut down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

shin splint central last night - not really sure what to do about it, maybe struggle through the last 2-3 weeks of hard training before tapering off and running 26.2 anyway? or will my leg explode?? very annoying halfway through week 12 of a 16 week plan!

I used KT tape for the 1st time last weekend as my legs are pretty much starting to fall apart and it made quite a big difference, worth a try! 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as I had a certain target pegged to an event in late June 2020, seriously considering ordering a Dominos in the circumstances

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UEF said:

Seeing as I had a certain target pegged to an event in late June 2020, seriously considering ordering a Dominos in the circumstances

I'm pretty certain I'll be ordering a takeaway this evening, I can't face the carnage of supermarkets!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm pretty certain I'll be ordering a takeaway this evening, I can't face the carnage of supermarkets!

Seems to have calmed a little today ... let’s hope that carry’s on ... on a decent upward curve 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Seems to have calmed a little today ... let’s hope that carry’s on ... on a decent upward curve 

Ah okay, that gives me a little hope... will still probably order a pizza though, let's call it carb loading 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Ah okay, that gives me a little hope... will still probably order a pizza though, let's call it carb loading 🤣

Yep the more people stay away the more chance of recovery .. and support the smaller shops whilst it’s possible 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep the more people stay away the more chance of recovery .. and support the smaller shops whilst it’s possible 

I have an amazing pizza place fairly close luckily.

If anyone is near Winchester or Battersea Pi Pizza is INCREDIBLE! 🤤

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just set up the turbo trainer and bike ... not had much use in the last 2 years ... hydration (check ) nutrition (check ) ... ready to go ... 

D01AAF28-AF80-4D24-88C9-D05E82FE46A2.jpeg

Oooh, Merckx...

#bikeporn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...