Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

10 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

20 miles! Jesus! 

When's your marathon? My training has gone awry and I'm starting to get nervous. 

I know only the second time I've done 20 miles and last time it absolutely slaughtered me! Got about 7 weeks until race day now, I think as long as I get all my long runs in ill be alright on there day. im sure youll bounce back - how far into your training are you?

2 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

would love a run around the site but definitely not over the festival weekend, don't they do a 10k race around there at some point out of festival time?

smashed out a little 8 miler steady last night at 4:45 per km and got a fartlek session this eve which im not really looking forward to!  - rest day Friday, park run Saturday and 20 miler on sunday!

Very impressive

53 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I know only the second time I've done 20 miles and last time it absolutely slaughtered me! Got about 7 weeks until race day now, I think as long as I get all my long runs in ill be alright on there day. im sure youll bounce back - how far into your training are you?

I've got 8 weeks to go but my furthest is only 16 miles which was the cause of my injury! 

I'm feeling a bit better so will gradually increase the mileage again, I'm still hoping I'll be able to do the marathon but I'd just like it to be as painless as possible and not do myself any damage.

Are you doing any strength training with it? 

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

I've got 8 weeks to go but my furthest is only 16 miles which was the cause of my injury! 

I'm feeling a bit better so will gradually increase the mileage again, I'm still hoping I'll be able to do the marathon but I'd just like it to be as painless as possible and not do myself any damage.

Are you doing any strength training with it? 

yeah definitely worth taking it slow, ive felt on the edge of injury a few times but just about managed to get away with it - and not as much as I should! just a few random sets at home once a week, actually thinking about stepping this up for the second half of the training plan

13 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Apparently London Marathon may be cancelled due to the Coronavirus. 

The fact I'm half hoping my marathon follows suit sums up my current feeling towards training 😅

could be like the Tokyo marathon where they only let about 150 of the elites race and cancelled everyone else

24 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Apparently London Marathon may be cancelled due to the Coronavirus. 

The fact I'm half hoping my marathon follows suit sums up my current feeling towards training 😅

hope not ... folks heading to london to watch sister and husband running it ... its harder to get in than Glastonbury isn't it ?

36 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

could be like the Tokyo marathon where they only let about 150 of the elites race and cancelled everyone else

Unfortunately I don't reckon I'd quite meet the bill for the elites! 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

hope not ... folks heading to london to watch sister and husband running it ... its harder to get in than Glastonbury isn't it ?

Yeah I forget the exact percentage but it must be up there with one of the only things harder to get into than glasto. I'm sure they'd let people keep there spots for next year though! 

On 2/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, waynewdk said:

My Glasto Fitness is at 4 miles in 47 mins as of last night, my third road run since just before Xmas

well done and thanks for sharing.  I think it is important that everybody feels able to post in here whatever their fitness or ability, it can be a bit intimidating if you aren't up to running up Ben Nevis with a fridge on your head.  Whilst I am hugely impressed with the ability of individuals to be fitter / faster / stronger than the average, everybody has a way of improving or working on their fitness for Glasto as the thread title says. I find this more inspiring than superhuman run times or large weight lifted.

Not aimed at anyone, or intended to offend or slight, just like to see us little people having a go and being proud of it.

I myself have been for a run.  I enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

well done and thanks for sharing.  I think it is important that everybody feels able to post in here whatever their fitness or ability, it can be a bit intimidating if you aren't up to running up Ben Nevis with a fridge on your head.  Whilst I am hugely impressed with the ability of individuals to be fitter / faster / stronger than the average, everybody has a way of improving or working on their fitness for Glasto as the thread title says. I find this more inspiring than superhuman run times or large weight lifted.

Not aimed at anyone, or intended to offend or slight, just like to see us little people having a go and being proud of it.

I myself have been for a run.  I enjoyed it.

This is the point. Anyone, of whatever level should be happy posting whatever they want. If someone is proud enough to post something here I'm super happy. It means that they've pushed themselves/overcome something/made themselves happy. Yup, I might be able to run a bit quicker than some, but there are so many other things they're better than me at. Here's a big high five to everyone who's giving it a red hot go, in whatever form. I like hearing about it. Keep em coming! 

The legendary athletics coach Bart Yasso once said:

"There are no fast or slow runners, just runners."

• Upvote 4

Aye very much this. If you're up and out you're lapping everyone on the sofa!

Hopefully posters who are proud of getting out and running at all get the same level of encouragement as those hitting fast times or heavy lifts on the thread! But point taken Digger, worth being careful to encourage everyone!

• Upvote 2

A niggly knee tendon means no running for me for a while, but fortunately walking is fine. Just got back from a 15k stroll up around Watership Down - absolutely beautiful morning for it, lovely to see the sun. More of this and less rain please! 😎

6FA64519-D0D1-484A-A738-700EF9C01084.jpeg

So, Thursday 27th June 2019, I've just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards in Williams Green, and decide to head for the loo before Guilty Pleasures.  I stretch my leg out to get past a group of people, find a damp patch, slip, and break my left ankle.   The fracture clinic months later advise an unfit and overweight middle aged man (me) that end of April might be too soon to run my first marathon, but I'm a stubbon sod, don't withdraw, and get the nod from the physio to start running in November.

Last weekend, I comfortably managed half marathon distance in my training run, and was feeling pretty bloody positive.

On Thursday 27th Feb 2020, I'd just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards at BrewLDN.  We decided it was time to head home, and were heading for the exit, when I slipped on the stairs, and of course, break my right ankle.

You could not make this shit up.

Edited by Greenelk

40 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

So, Thursday 27th June 2019, I've just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards in Williams Green, and decide to head for the loo before Guilty Pleasures.  I stretch my leg out to get past a group of people, find a damp patch, slip, and break my left ankle.   The fracture clinic months later advise an unfit and overweight middle aged man (me) that end of April might be too soon to run my first marathon, but I'm a stubbon sod, don't withdraw, and get the nod from the physio to start running in November.

Last weekend, I comfortably managed half marathon distance in my training run, and was feeling pretty bloody positive.

On Thursday 27th Feb 2020, I'd just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards at BrewLDN.  We decided it was time to head home, and were heading for the exit, when I slipped on the stairs, and of course, break my right ankle.

That is totally shite mate!! What a bummer. I think I have identified the problem.  I would advise not to “head” anywhere. 
hoping it heal up re soon.

20 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Oh no! 

On the bright side hopefully you'll be healed in time for Glastonbury? 

Take it easy and you can always defer your marathon spot at least.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, Greenelk said:

No way!! There's a common denominator here I'm sure of it!! Hope it heals quickly. 

So end of February weigh in. I wasn't feeling confident as I have been having a shit time at work and more than once I have decided sod it I can't be arsed cooking and eaten my feelings about work!! However my commitment to my exercise has obviously paid off as I managed to lose 4.6 lb's. That only .2 of a lb away from losing 6 stone and more significantly 1.8 lb's off being merely overweight instead of obese. Fingers crossed I reach that milestone at the end of this month. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, gigpusher said:

So end of February weigh in. I wasn't feeling confident as I have been having a shit time at work and more than once I have decided sod it I can't be arsed cooking and eaten my feelings about work!! However my commitment to my exercise has obviously paid off as I managed to lose 4.6 lb's. That only .2 of a lb away from losing 6 stone and more significantly 1.8 lb's off being merely overweight instead of obese. Fingers crossed I reach that milestone at the end of this month. 

Awesome effort GP now lets help you reward that effort with some lovely golden tickets 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

6 stone! that's fking decent work there pal! youre gonna be in good stead for 5 days of madness in june!

• Upvote 2