Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I've always found my harder / more beneficial sessions have been treadmill based due to finding myself just sticking to one pace when outside.

1% incline and then 1km intervals alternating between 11,12,13 & 14 km/h.

10km is as far as i'll do on a treadmill though as my mind needs the outdoor scenery to keep itself active.

They most definitely have their place in a training schedule as far as i'm concerned!

Anyway I've been sticking to my new regime of being in the gym for 6.30am for the last 3 weeks (I think i've even surprised myself!)

I've tended to do the workouts that my old crossfit gym put online which has kept things varied.

This mornings workout:

5 rounds:
400m run (did this on one of those curve runners)
10 x 22kg dumbell snatches
12 x narrow push ups
40 x double unders (skipping)

Took me just over 25 mins.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

400m run (did this on one of those curve runners)

Is that the Skill Mill? Got one in ours, I use it for full resistance leg drive work rather than sprints, just not sure how confident I am not to send myself flying across the gym :lol:

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

Is that the Skill Mill? Got one in ours, I use it for full resistance leg drive work rather than sprints, just not sure how confident I am not to send myself flying across the gym :lol:

It looks like this. Takes a bit of getting used to but much easier to use than a traditional treadmill when doing running as part of a wider workout.

I'm pretty sure they are a bit more taxing on the legs / lungs so hoping to see the benefit in the long term.

curve-runner-one-non-motorised-treadmill-p2381-23900_image.jpg

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It looks like this. Takes a bit of getting used to but much easier to use than a traditional treadmill when doing running as part of a wider workout.

I'm pretty sure they are a bit more taxing on the legs / lungs so hoping to see the benefit in the long term.

Yep that's the one. Different manufacturer / brand but the same basic concept.  The Technogym one at ours has the front handles so you can drop right down into a leg drive like this chappie. Use it for a tabata finisher, 10s walk and 20s full resistance leg drive x8. Usually fall off at the end of it :D

connect_business.jpg

27 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Personal best on bench press this morning at 110kg. Definitely time to start trimming off fat but that requires a decent diet (mine is appalling)

Same... I'm trying to get my nutrition right but after running for over 2 hours, I feel like I should be able to treat myself 🤣

I'm a bit injured at the moment though so need to sort out the nutrition ( I'm nowhere near out training the diet) and am having to take it easy on the training plan, I have 2 months until my marathon so I'm not too worried yet but can't stay injured for long. 

All of which has just led to me feeling pretty grumpy as I'm not getting my exercise hit! Who knew how dependent you can become on the endorphins! 

I suppose I could always climb the hill of mild inconvenience as my gym machine.

Muddy lane works, as well as the track behind Strummerville and across the top of the park. Have to dodge the clay pigeon shooters there so it's always a little more interesting than facing a wall in a gym. Can't think of anything worse than a stuffy room to exercise in.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Hands down the worst one was the Jacobs Ladder climbing machine. Had one in a work gym a few years back. That thing can get in the sea.

For me it's the rowing machine, try doing a 500m best effort.  I was challenged to this in the gym, I tried to do a workout afterwards which was pointless.  I usually don't mind the rowing machine either but any programme which includes maxing out a killer.

4 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I suppose I could always climb the hill of mild inconvenience as my gym machine.

Muddy lane works, as well as the track behind Strummerville and across the top of the park. Have to dodge the clay pigeon shooters there so it's always a little more interesting than facing a wall in a gym. Can't think of anything worse than a stuffy room to exercise in.

Outside is definitely the preference for running. I absolutely loathe treadmill running.

Cycling outside also preferred, but gym is acceptable for a short intervals session.

Rowing machine doesn't really work outside :D

1 minute ago, Padgey said:

For me it's the rowing machine, try doing a 500m best effort.  I was challenged to this in the gym, I tried to do a workout afterwards which was pointless.  I usually don't mind the rowing machine either but any programme which includes maxing out a killer.

There's nothing quite like the lung burn and lactic acid build up in the arms / legs at the end of a max effort row.

I Googled it a while back and the general info was that the rowing, running and X-trainer machines were all good for you, whereas the bike was a bit of a waste of time.

I don't bother with the bike any more (though I do go spinning).

Edited by Homer

Just now, Homer said:

I Googled it a while back and the general info was that the rowing, running and X-trainer machines were all good for you, whereas the bike was a bit of a waste of time.

I don't bother with the bike any more (though I do go spinning).

Very much depends on what you do on the bike though.  Could say that about all of them.

I don't touch the cross trainer; can exacerbate existing knee problems for people quite a bit

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very much depends on what you do on the bike though.  Could say that about all of them.

I don't touch the cross trainer; can exacerbate existing knee problems for people quite a bit

Sit on it and move my legs around in circles. Oh no, I'm not going to end on one of those memes of people using gym equipment incorrectly am I?!

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Sit on it and move my legs around in circles. Oh no, I'm not going to end on one of those memes of people using gym equipment incorrectly am I?!

I used to row lots ... 10k at a time .... but ever since my back got fucked ive found it impossible to get back on it ... maybe some physchology involved but the rower definitely needs some kind of decent style 

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I used to row lots ... 10k at a time .... but ever since my back got fucked ive found it impossible to get back on it ... maybe some physchology involved but the rower definitely needs some kind of decent style 

Legs, legs and more legs. Everything else is secondary

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Legs, legs and more legs. Everything else is secondary

I’ve no idea what my style looked like to others but there were some bloody awfull ones i used to watch ... now I just swim lots but would love to have the strength of 10 years ago ish .,. I used to get called the rowing machine by the gym staff !! :) 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

I shall follow your progress with interest :D

I wouldn't, I'm about 4/5 pounds heavier than I should be. Haven't been able to train as much due to weather, illness, angry toddlers and excessive biscuit consumption and have only ran ten miles once in my preparation for this. Plus I haven't slept properly for about a week now due to the aforementioned toddler.

It will not be enjoyable.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wouldn't, I'm about 4/5 pounds heavier than I should be. Haven't been able to train as much due to weather, illness, angry toddlers and excessive biscuit consumption and have only ran ten miles once in my preparation for this. Plus I haven't slept properly for about a week now due to the aforementioned toddler.

It will not be enjoyable.

Look on the bright side, the longer it takes you is more time spent away from angry toddlers...!