Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

The results are in! I only gymed twice last week (instead of 5) but I've been 3x so far since Sat.  I also drank booze on Fri, Sat and Sun. However, I've still lost three pounds since just before I went to Glasto (the Thurs morning). Proof that festivals are good for you! (I lost the same amount the week I went to Shindig too.)

I gained 3.7lb's at Glastonbury but within a week I had lost 4.4 lb's despite not being brilliant so I think the weather and the amount I drank gave me a false high when I got back. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I gained 3.7lb's at Glastonbury but within a week I had lost 4.4 lb's despite not being brilliant so I think the weather and the amount I drank gave me a false high when I got back. 

I totally forgot to eat the whole time which probably contributed! 4.4 - great effort! Yeah, the results can skew a bit with drinking etc (especially the day after apparently).

Just now, Homer said:

I totally forgot to eat the whole time which probably contributed! 4.4 - great effort! Yeah, the results can skew a bit with drinking etc (especially the day after apparently).

Mine was just soft drinks as well but for obvious reasons I've never drank so much that plus the stodgy carbs Battered chips with curry sauce are not a health food that's for sure!! Think the change in diet played a part although I did have a few healthy meals even when I was there. I had salads for lunch twice!!

Got back on the Monday after the festival and signed up for Beachy Head Trail marathon in October.

Put on a bit of weight and lost a bit of fitness since Lulworth Cove 50K, but I'm not too worried.

Started my 16 week training plan last night and I'm logging everything - exercise / food intake - on my Garmin and MyFitnessPal app.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Got back on the Monday after the festival and signed up for Beachy Head Trail marathon in October.

Put on a bit of weight and lost a bit of fitness since Lulworth Cove 50K, but I'm not too worried.

Started my 16 week training plan last night and I'm logging everything - exercise / food intake - on my Garmin and MyFitnessPal app.

Nice.  I probably need to start using MFP again just to keep myself honest, but it's just something else to maintain either on phone app or PC...

Miracles never cease... Went to my first Weight Watchers meeting since Glasto at the weekend and....

1Kg weight loss - despite having major munchies and come-down cravings on Tuesday which resulted in me eating a whole pack of Chocolate hobnobs (my personal weakness) and a 5-stick Chicken stripper meal from Mc'D. 

I did stick 100% to Vegetarian food and somehow avoided all sweets and crap to compensate for the amount of alcohol I consumed while I was at Glasto - I also wasn't aware our friend Mandy was such a good diet supplement...

Downside is I've only clocked up an average of 11K steps a day since I got back, but I do have a GYM assessment meeting at the weekend (they want to ask a load of medical questions and check me out while I do a GYM induction session) such is the pain of being in your late 50's with a bad-back and high blood pressure.

Edited by Penrhos

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Nice.  I probably need to start using MFP again just to keep myself honest, but it's just something else to maintain either on phone app or PC...

Much like Glastonbury, once I've got a goal to aim for i'm pretty much obsessed, tbh, dude.

And like you say, it does keep you honest.

And prevents me thinking 'ahhh, fuck it, I'll go and get a kebab' and the like.

I'll second (third) MFP keeping you honest, with little more than counting the calories I'm down from 13st 10 to 12st 6. The good lady her indoors from 10st to 8st 1. 1 year of counting. My top tip is, if you fancy a few pints on a Friday get them logged early doors and adjust your day accordingly. Never felt like I'm missing out.

Going to start hitting the hills soon, start building my strength and endurance. Might get back on the yoga too, flexibility is underrated!

Hopefully this thread will keep rolling, I found the last one really inspiring, some great results and plenty of support being dished out. 

Intervals done but my god am I feeling it, was going to do a short easy run in the morning to stretch out the legs but not sure I will be able to. Will see how my legs are tomorrow.

MFP was also a great help to me, was the key factor in loosing my 4.5 stone, exercise alone was not enough. I have however stopped using it as I was worried I was becoming obsessive about it and started to not enjoy my treats due to the guilt felt when logging them on the app. If my weight was to suddenly start increasing I’d definitely turn back to it though.

Hmmmm this thread is interesting. Last time I started making deals with the ticket gods during spin classes (if I keep at 120 for the whole of this track I'll get a ticket etc etc) in September....maybe this year I should start earlier...

Since Glastonbury I actually haven't been to the gym once ? Plus living in Glasgow my commute is also not by foot, so I feel that general fitness from walking everywhere at my unnaturally fast pace is now done away with. In London until Thursday, but maybe Glasto god bargaining aka fitness drive should start on Friday evening!

I think trying to get a toned bum for Boomtown is probably a bit of an ask though... 

Lost 8lb over Glasto. Didn’t eat near enough and caused me to be cold at night and struggle a bit energy wise. I’m a fussy bugger so any food I was having was cooked on my own stove, mostly first thing. Got plenty miles in legs before I went so was fine from that angle. Went back to gym there and I’m sure the dust still lingering on my lungs as felt more breathless than I thought I would. Could do with another 12lb off so going to get stuck in over the year and get core strength up plus review eating arrangements for next year if lucky enough to get a ticket. Good luck with your goals all!

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Too fat to enjoy sitting down on the ground.... If I don't make a big improvement by October I'm sitting 2020 out.

There is some joke/pun/moral  in there I Can't quite tease out

Edited by fred quimby

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I did badly this year. Too fat to enjoy sitting down on the ground, so ended up much more knackered than in 2016. If I don't make a big improvement by October I'm sitting 2020 out. If I hadn't been carrying round the surplus weight of a small child I probably wouldn't have had such sore feet either.

I don't know. My husband was more broken than me by the end and he's a runner, not overweight etc. I do think it definitely helps though not carrying as much weight. I felt more comfortable than last time when I was about 3-4 stone heavier. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't know. My husband was more broken than me by the end and he's a runner, not overweight etc. I do think it definitely helps though not carrying as much weight. I felt more comfortable than last time when I was about 3-4 stone heavier. 

I'm just generally out of shape. I noticed the difference from last time even on the Wednesday.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm just generally out of shape. I noticed the difference from last time even on the Wednesday.

You're from round our way. One of the big things that has helped my fitness levels is walking around Lyme Park with the dogs. Lots of slopes of inconvenience etc similar terrain. We try and go most evenings between 5 and 7 (even if you're not a National Trust member you can get in free then) It was great training. 

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

You're from round our way. One of the big things that has helped my fitness levels is walking around Lyme Park with the dogs. Lots of slopes of inconvenience etc similar terrain. We try and go most evenings between 5 and 7 (even if you're not a National Trust member you can get in free then) It was great training. 

Not close enough I'm afraid, it's about a 40 min drive away, but thanks for the thought.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not close enough I'm afraid, it's about a 40 min drive away, but thanks for the thought.

Maybe a weekend trip then. Believe it or not even when it seems crazy if you go walking you'll find you barely pass a soul. 

I found I was so much better this year than previous years, but I will definitely be upping my fitness for next year. I want to be able to bounce like tigger all day and night rather than having to stop cos I'm knackered.I'm going to see Imperial leisure in Bristol in December so when fest season is over in September, I'll be hitting the gym and going out running. That will be one wild gig.

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Maybe a weekend trip then. Believe it or not even when it seems crazy if you go walking you'll find you barely pass a soul. 

I'd have to get rid of my wingeing six yr old to get any decent exercise on that walk.

I'm planning to move somewhere leafier before the next festival to get walking time in.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd have to get rid of my wingeing six yr old to get any decent exercise on that walk.

I'm planning to move somewhere leafier before the next festival to get walking time in.

Put the 6 year old on your shoulders! Weights and Cardio together ;)

I'm very disappointed in myself for the lack of training I did for Glastonbury, my only excuse is I got re-sale coach tickets, I was not prepared for the 20,000 steps and 8 hours of standing - All worth it though, planing to start the gym in late October 

Thanks for the MFP recommendations, juat downloaded it. Hopefully that will help keep me away from the biscuits and cake in the office.

1st run of my half marathon training this morning. Just 2 miles but did it before breakfast which was a mistake. Any tips on a decent pre run small breakfast/snack?

1 minute ago, Harry_W01 said:

I'm very disappointed in myself for the lack of training I did for Glastonbury, my only excuse is I got re-sale coach tickets, I was not prepared for the 20,000 steps and 8 hours of standing - All worth it though, planing to start the gym in late October 

Mate, I've been saying since leaving 2017s festival I would lose 2.5 stone for this one...It didn't happen! Well,  i lost 1st 3lb and felt the difference so I'll be getting the rest off.