Jump to content

Fitness for Glasto 2021


gigpusher
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, I can't believe it, first time I've entered since I ran it (good for my age) in 2012, only entered as by son in law entered, he also got in, 1st time of asking for him, shocked. Mind you, historically I have had a few rejections way back in the day. Summer training, that's going to be different 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting my training proper for a half marathon in June as a warm up for London.

 

I started a plan last week and it just didnt agree with me, there's no need for a 2 mile warm up for intervals.

 

So I've returned to the trusty RunBuddy app and looking forward to some broken miles after work. The weather is great today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently in an internal debate over whether to sign up for a TAB event in May.  Just not sure if I can be arsed to make the training more event-specific, which is what I'd need to do if I wanted to go for a time.

And being me, I'd definitely want to go for a time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Currently in an internal debate over whether to sign up for a TAB event in May.  Just not sure if I can be arsed to make the training more event-specific, which is what I'd need to do if I wanted to go for a time.

And being me, I'd definitely want to go for a time. 

Just do it, consider it a final warm up for the true endurance test that is Glastonbury.

I'm doing the Hackney Half in May for that exact reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Just do it, consider it a final warm up for the true endurance test that is Glastonbury.

I'm doing the Hackney Half in May for that exact reason.

It's a maybe.  They do have an alternative which is the straight cross country run on the same course, just without the kit. Might do that instead, can just continue running as training then without having to get too specific.

Heading out later this week for an all day walk so going to have some kit in the bag, might try running a few km just to see how it feels

Edited by Quark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a maybe.  They do have an alternative which is the straight cross country run on the same course, just without the kit. Might do that instead, can just continue running as training then without having to get too specific.

Heading out later this week for an all day walk so going to have some kit in the bag, might try running a few km just to see how it feels

Hope weather is nice!! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Hope weather is nice!! 

At the moment it's looking absolutely mint. Got a nice route planned, want to be on the go about 7am. Plan is to use phone only for occasional map checks, no music or anything. Just a day of being completely incommunicado. Bliss.

If I get my timing right I should be on the South Downs ridgeline as the sun's going down...

Screenshot_20220314-112430_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c19fa4d52828d1f75c063086df2750c.jpg

Edited by Quark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quark said:

At the moment it's looking absolutely mint. Got a nice route planned, want to be on the go about 7am. Plan is to use phone only for occasional map checks, no music or anything. Just a day of being completely incommunicado. Bliss.

If I get my timing right I should be on the South Downs ridgeline as the sun's going down...

Screenshot_20220314-112430_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c19fa4d52828d1f75c063086df2750c.jpg

👌 Optimal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm gonna start some waklking training, of walking on uneven grass, note sure how i'll cope with that at the moment.

Quite literally, one step at a time Neil.  Take it steady and you'll get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite literally, one step at a time Neil.  Take it steady and you'll get there.

Learning to walk again is hard work. Am waiting for the taxi to walking football just now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the last couple of years being sedentary and recently recovering from a bout of covid, I've really got to get myself into shape in the next few months to deal with the ridiculous wednesday walk.

Fortunately, I live on the coast so can walk along the dunes so as soon as Mrs Shanks has also gotten over her covid, we're going to be getting festival fit.

I'm already dreading the ache but it's so necessary. I don't think I've ever been this unfit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Has anyone got any back strengthening exercises they could share? Preferably lower/middle back 👍

Back extensions and/or  Good Mornings are good ones that target the lower back

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.strengthlog.com%2Fgood-morning%2F&psig=AOvVaw0CLueIcRxDOQHU-bcfAWcX&ust=1647438962927000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAgQjRxqFwoTCNDik8OiyPYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAU

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Has anyone got any back strengthening exercises they could share? Preferably lower/middle back 👍

If you have back issues then focus on strengthening your glutes as well. 

Glute bridges, hip thrusts, clams are all a great start for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't train for a few weeks (after a minor op) so sole focus is on walking at the moment.

This year really has been a shocker as I had Covid, then a mystery illness which whacked me out for a week, then the op. 

Chomping at the bit to run and start lifting again! 

April 5th I can get going again.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A week into 10k steps a day. Aiming to keep going until Glasto week and hopefully shedding enough weight to be lighter than when I arrived in 2019. Set myself a 13 week plan and stuck to it for 10 days so far. Early days but going in the right direction

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, March Hare said:

A week into 10k steps a day. Aiming to keep going until Glasto week and hopefully shedding enough weight to be lighter than when I arrived in 2019. Set myself a 13 week plan and stuck to it for 10 days so far. Early days but going in the right direction

On a similar plan! 13 weeks (although actually on holiday first week of June, so thats a soft target). Aiming to drop around 1 kg a week with better exercise, regular gym and healthy eating. Also trying to greatly reduce any alcohol in the lead up. Will hopefully make the whole event cheaper 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...