Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is anyone else starting to prep their shoulders and back ready for carrying their festival gear? 

I haven’t carried a festival weight backpack since 2019. If my body isn’t ready to carry that kind of weight then I’m going to struggle massively. Will be a huge shock to the body if I wait till the day of the festival to wake those specific muscles up. 

I prefer to do several trips with light weight, first trip in is just my tent, chair and a couple of cans then go back to the car during the day to pick up more stuff.

I don't envy the struggle for coach people though that have loaded up. 

49 minutes ago, March Hare said:

It’s a fair point, you don’t want to spend day 1 shattered. How to you prep for it? Other than replicating it on you back for a few long walks

I think you'd be better served focusing on some proper upper body strength training plus increasing time on your feet. This will be better overall over the whole festival. 

Core and back exercises will help with the standing around at the festival as well as the walk to camp with all your stuff. But ultimately the walk to camp is so hard to replicate and get to and getting stronger and fitter in general will help your body cope and also recover quicker. 

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

It’s a fair point, you don’t want to spend day 1 shattered. How to you prep for it? Other than replicating it on you back for a few long walks

It’s a nice 3 mile walk to my work. I’m going to start doing my shopping early morning, loading up my back pack and walk to work and back. I also need to prep my liver so walking with a small crate of beer on my back a couple of days a week will be good preparation. 

57 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I will not have the fitness I hoped for this Glastonbury. The whole pandemic etc has been a complete shitshow for me. So I'll struggle on for this year whilst thinking must do better for next. 

Yeah, the pandemic hit me too. You're still 3 months out though chief, there's stil time!

Having spent the pandemic doing sweet f' all, in February myself and a few friends decided to do the 'Freezbury' challenge, it was great for getting the blood flowing again. If you're close to the sea, I highly recommend going for sea swims (For Freezbury, during the month of Frebruary you swim in the sea every day, incrementing a minute for every day. Feb 1st = 1min, Feb 28th = 28th mins)

That challenge has now set us up for the next one. For April, we're going to start with a 2km run/walk and increment it by 200m each day. 30th April will be 7.8km but over the month it adds up to 147km (or the distance from Dublin to Wexford)

Hopefully that'll get me closer to where I'd like to be for Glasto!

After lots of false starts due to illness  and covid I’m hoping to get back to a mix of swimming, running and cycling to get myself fit for Glastonbury.  I’ve never been as unfit as I am atm..  but small, regular steps in the right direction and hopefully I’ll be feeling in better shape by June. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Ran a new 10km personal best this morning, 45:05 gutted to not hit sub 45 but sure I'll get it at my next attempt.

Good effort, I'm nowhere near that time nowadays, did the GNR and Silverstone half in 45 minutes, but that was a good few years ago now, I'll be more 50 minutes now judging on my last 8km run a couple of weeks ago at just over 39 mins. 

1 minute ago, Padgey said:

Good effort, I'm nowhere near that time nowadays, did the GNR and Silverstone half in 45 minutes, but that was a good few years ago now, I'll be more 50 minutes now judging on my last 8km run a couple of weeks ago at just over 39 mins. 

Thanks! Considering I didn't run in January or February, I'm really pleased with how well I'm running already! 

8km in 39 is still a great effort! 

3 hours ago, Pipine said:

After lots of false starts due to illness  and covid I’m hoping to get back to a mix of swimming, running and cycling to get myself fit for Glastonbury.  I’ve never been as unfit as I am atm..  but small, regular steps in the right direction and hopefully I’ll be feeling in better shape by June. 

That's the approach I'm taking as well, I've recently started cycling several days a week and doing a Parkrun at the weekend to improve my fitness.

• Upvote 1

Was training for a 10k in 2020, after my work laid me off and all I had to structure my time was going to the gym/running in the park. Dropped off in January last year but I'm back at it in the hopes of doing the EMF race in May. Up to about 6k a couple times a week again. 

First run tonight post-Covid, fingers crossed the virus and the week away haven't been too rough on my stamina!  

On 3/30/2022 at 3:20 PM, Kalopsia said:

Ran a new 10km personal best this morning, 45:05 gutted to not hit sub 45 but sure I'll get it at my next attempt.

Wow I can run a 5k in 45min, you're double my speed😅

Well done on PB 🏆🥇

I did however run my 1st 10k week before last, my pacing consistent with my 5ks, only started running in May 2020 so very pleased with self.

In terms of fitness for Glasto, I feel in better shape than I have for years but also know that after 3 days on the farm I'll be aching everywhere!

Going to bang on about the wonders of yoga again, but hoping to do at least 10mins every morning at the festival just to loosen the old limbs 😁

On 3/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, Kalopsia said:

Thanks! Considering I didn't run in January or February, I'm really pleased with how well I'm running already! 

8km in 39 is still a great effort! 

Great work bud, are you finding the exercising is helping again?

Just back from the gym, did a 5 minute warm up on the rower (yes I know I won't be rowing anywhere at Glastonbury!) as my legs are still struggling from squats on Wednesday so avoided the treadmill, then did 2 x 15 minute EMOM sessions, certainly ready for the weekend now and a few ciders.

Currently quite happy with my fitness and should only get better now barring any more illnesses, had 2 chest infections in the last 6 months. Will be ok for the festival and the many walks to and from the car, in fact I quite enjoy the early morning stroll to the car when the site is quiet.

Got a ticket in the resale. After being very lazy and very ill for a long time - all good now - I gained 3 stones in 2 years. So, I have rejoined the gym to rebuild my back strength for some trolley pulling in June. Now off to watch a Rocky montage for some motivation.

11 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Hey yea, it really is! I'm also far more productive after a run so that helps when thinking about a Cover Letter 🙂

Good stuff, I really need to motivate myself to get back out more.  I know I'll feel better for it but just not been feeling it!

Anyone got any tips for coping with osteoarthritis in hip -  have recently had diagnosis of Stage 3 and am in a lot of pain and having difficulty walking  - just flared up in last 6 weeks for first time so am now panicking how am going cope 🙁

Edited by sedra