Jump to content

Fitness for Glasto 2021


gigpusher
 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

What would be advise for a taper for a half marathon?

I have Bristol Half on Sept 19th, I did a 18km on Sunday and a 10km last night, I was intending to do two more 10km’s this week and a 16km on Sunday, then perhaps one, possibly two, 5kms next week. Am I overdoing it or slowing too soon?

Depends on how much running you've been doing during full training, but that sounds about right to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Woffy said:

Sound advice from an expert!

Although if @JoeyT can yomp off his nut to the car park on completely the wrong side of Glastonbury festival and then yomp back to where he's supposed to be, in one evening, in the dark, then i definitely reckon he's got the minerals to finish LM! 😉

Agreed! On the second bit, obviously...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 4:09 PM, Woffy said:

Did Andover Trail Marathon yesterday.

4:50:30

Not bad for a slow old plodder like me.

Pretty hilly too.

It's my 'home town' trail marathon and it's the third time i've done it. Which makes it even more baffling that i managed to get lost.

Actually ran 27.2 miles. What a tit.

#technicallyanultramarathon

Well done fella!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

What would be advise for a taper for a half marathon?

I have Bristol Half on Sept 19th, I did a 18km on Sunday and a 10km last night, I was intending to do two more 10km’s this week and a 16km on Sunday, then perhaps one, possibly two, 5kms next week. Am I overdoing it or slowing too soon?

Personally I'd say get three 5ks in, one every other day with the second one done reasonably quickly, but that's very general advice...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely listen to it coming from someone with your experience! 🏃🏃

It seems a bit scary doing a lot of runs in the build up to a half, but they won't take much out of you. Wednesday 5k, do 1 mile warm up, then a fast mile (really push it)  and a 1 mile warm down. I actually do a session 36-48h before a marathon like that where that mile is eyeballs out fast - primes your muscles to suck up glycogen (technically untrue - they suck up glucose and make glycogen, but hey) which will help in the deep stages. I am aware that doing that for the first time is a huge leap of faith, so try it a few days earlier here! 

Good luck!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's some others on here running Manchester marathon next month, right? They're doing a staggered start I think based on predicted finishing times people put when entered, and they released these start times yesterday and there are a lot of unhappy people on social media as some will be starting a lot later than they originally thought. I'm actually a bit worried I'm in a too fast a start time as I originally entered in 2019 but I'm a new man since then (by new I mean older and slower).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

There's some others on here running Manchester marathon next month, right? They're doing a staggered start I think based on predicted finishing times people put when entered, and they released these start times yesterday and there are a lot of unhappy people on social media as some will be starting a lot later than they originally thought. I'm actually a bit worried I'm in a too fast a start time as I originally entered in 2019 but I'm a new man since then (by new I mean older and slower).

Received my time yesterday.

My friend and I had both put down the same estimated start time, yet our actual start time is 10 minutes apart.

Who knows how they’ve worked it out! 

My only gripe is it seems a little late, I don’t begin until 11am, was hoping to be half way around by then! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Received my time yesterday.

My friend and I had both put down the same estimated start time, yet our actual start time is 10 minutes apart.

Who knows how they’ve worked it out! 

My only gripe is it seems a little late, I don’t begin until 11am, was hoping to be half way around by then! 

My start is 10:30. They have the half marathon too so maybe they want to have that going before the full marathon. If you want to start with someone else in a different start time they've said that's ok as long as it's the later/slower start time. I'm sure on the day they won't be that fussed if people are not starting at their allocated time anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 10:05 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

What would be advise for a taper for a half marathon?

I have Bristol Half on Sept 19th, I did a 18km on Sunday and a 10km last night, I was intending to do two more 10km’s this week and a 16km on Sunday, then perhaps one, possibly two, 5kms next week. Am I overdoing it or slowing too soon?

This is the last part of my actual plan...

 

C367C9A4-9702-4552-A737-441EDDC36724.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I ask for some advice @Superscally?  I'm doing the London Marathon in 3 weeks.  And today was meant to be my final long run following their beginners plan.  My groin has been playing up a bit since I've been over the 10 mile mark, some days worse than others, but always ok for the weekly long run.  I was fine when I did my half last month, and it felt OK after last Sundays run, but within 1 mile of starting this one, it feels like it's on fire.  I've stopped, and I'm just about to ice it, but some expert guidance as what I should do between now and the race itself would be appreciated.  I'm just looking to finish under 7 hours, and did the half in 2.5, with plenty left in the tank, and mentally I enjoyed it, but I'm now very concerned that I've not done my 20 miles as per the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello. Managed 1:26:26 at Wilmslow half this morning. Followed 1:25 pacer from start but they went off way too fast first few miles, maybe compensating for the hills in the 2nd half of the race. Anyway, those early quick miles killed me a bit, and then the hills later on killed me even more. To some people they probably are more like bumps in the road, but to me who normally runs around flat S Manc they felt like mountains. Anyway, reasonably happy with that, and I think is realistic of where I am, and sub 3:10 is a realistic goal for Manchester marathon next month.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Can I ask for some advice @Superscally?  I'm doing the London Marathon in 3 weeks.  And today was meant to be my final long run following their beginners plan.  My groin has been playing up a bit since I've been over the 10 mile mark, some days worse than others, but always ok for the weekly long run.  I was fine when I did my half last month, and it felt OK after last Sundays run, but within 1 mile of starting this one, it feels like it's on fire.  I've stopped, and I'm just about to ice it, but some expert guidance as what I should do between now and the race itself would be appreciated.  I'm just looking to finish under 7 hours, and did the half in 2.5, with plenty left in the tank, and mentally I enjoyed it, but I'm now very concerned that I've not done my 20 miles as per the plan.

Best thing would be to see a good physio. 

Likely that you’d need some soft tissue work done, followed by a strength and conditioning/rehab prog. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

Best thing would be to see a good physio. 

Likely that you’d need some soft tissue work done, followed by a strength and conditioning/rehab prog. 

Thanks.  I've still got the physio details of when I broke my ankles, so will see if they can fit me in.  For now I'm resting and icing, so will see what the advice is for preparing for the race training wise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Greenelk said:

Can I ask for some advice @Superscally?  I'm doing the London Marathon in 3 weeks.  And today was meant to be my final long run following their beginners plan.  My groin has been playing up a bit since I've been over the 10 mile mark, some days worse than others, but always ok for the weekly long run.  I was fine when I did my half last month, and it felt OK after last Sundays run, but within 1 mile of starting this one, it feels like it's on fire.  I've stopped, and I'm just about to ice it, but some expert guidance as what I should do between now and the race itself would be appreciated.  I'm just looking to finish under 7 hours, and did the half in 2.5, with plenty left in the tank, and mentally I enjoyed it, but I'm now very concerned that I've not done my 20 miles as per the plan.

Sorry to hear that @Greenelk. Firstly, I'd like to know what your motivations are and if they're postponable. Also, I'd like to know what the deadline is for deferring. If the answer to both is conducive to deferring, I'd strongly consider it. 

Don't worry about the lack of 20 miles. As a beginner, that 20 miles is more likely psychological than anything else. I'd counter that if you can get to within 10 miles of anywhere, unbroken, you can get to the destination. 

If you're going ahead, I'd want to tell you that in two weeks you'll lose no fitness of significance. In three you'll lose some, but not be at square one. I'd rest for one complete week, taking note of any pain and acting accordingly. See a physio sharpish, get a rough (or accurate) diagnosis and follow advice. Stretching gently unlikely to do any harm, but best to be warmed up a bit. I'd try some gentle runs halfway to marathon day, and if you're above a 3 on the pain scale, or finding increasing pain, then you should pull out. 

Basically, gather info. Put it all together and make a call. If you are pain free on marathon day, you'll be fine. Don't stress about lost training. Your physical integrity is the limiting factor and should be your only concern. No-one that matters will be disappointed in you, just for you...and you'll be back. 

Good luck! 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

Sorry to hear that @Greenelk. Firstly, I'd like to know what your motivations are and if they're postponable. Also, I'd like to know what the deadline is for deferring. If the answer to both is conducive to deferring, I'd strongly consider it. 

Don't worry about the lack of 20 miles. As a beginner, that 20 miles is more likely psychological than anything else. I'd counter that if you can get to within 10 miles of anywhere, unbroken, you can get to the destination. 

If you're going ahead, I'd want to tell you that in two weeks you'll lose no fitness of significance. In three you'll lose some, but not be at square one. I'd rest for one complete week, taking note of any pain and acting accordingly. See a physio sharpish, get a rough (or accurate) diagnosis and follow advice. Stretching gently unlikely to do any harm, but best to be warmed up a bit. I'd try some gentle runs halfway to marathon day, and if you're above a 3 on the pain scale, or finding increasing pain, then you should pull out. 

Basically, gather info. Put it all together and make a call. If you are pain free on marathon day, you'll be fine. Don't stress about lost training. Your physical integrity is the limiting factor and should be your only concern. No-one that matters will be disappointed in you, just for you...and you'll be back. 

Good luck! 

 

Thank you for this.  I've got till the night before to defer, but I'm not sure I've got the mental capacity to go through the training again, as this would be my second deferral after the second ankle break (Covid put pay to it happening anyway, but I'd already deferred before that).  I'm struggling with the mental side of the training, yet I found running the proper half far easier, and actually pretty much enjoyed doing it, with a much more positive mindset.

I had a bit of a moment last night, where I read something from a seasoned runner that echoed your words above, and I felt really positive that I can do this.  The pain is already considerably less than a couple of days ago and I'm continuing to ice, and the physio should happen this week.

If I do find nearer the time the pain is still too much, I will defer, but I'm feeling hopeful that I can get there, and reading the 20 miles is a psychological thing has given me another boost.  I know I had many miles left in the tank at the end of the half, and I'm also not afraid to walk when I need to.  With no time pressure on myself other than the cut off, I know I've got it in me.

So thanks once again for the advice, it's just what I needed and has really helped.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, steviewevie said:

Hello. Managed 1:26:26 at Wilmslow half this morning. Followed 1:25 pacer from start but they went off way too fast first few miles, maybe compensating for the hills in the 2nd half of the race. Anyway, those early quick miles killed me a bit, and then the hills later on killed me even more. To some people they probably are more like bumps in the road, but to me who normally runs around flat S Manc they felt like mountains. Anyway, reasonably happy with that, and I think is realistic of where I am, and sub 3:10 is a realistic goal for Manchester marathon next month.

That's fantastic! Well done 😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Thank you for this.  I've got till the night before to defer, but I'm not sure I've got the mental capacity to go through the training again, as this would be my second deferral after the second ankle break (Covid put pay to it happening anyway, but I'd already deferred before that).  I'm struggling with the mental side of the training, yet I found running the proper half far easier, and actually pretty much enjoyed doing it, with a much more positive mindset.

I had a bit of a moment last night, where I read something from a seasoned runner that echoed your words above, and I felt really positive that I can do this.  The pain is already considerably less than a couple of days ago and I'm continuing to ice, and the physio should happen this week.

If I do find nearer the time the pain is still too much, I will defer, but I'm feeling hopeful that I can get there, and reading the 20 miles is a psychological thing has given me another boost.  I know I had many miles left in the tank at the end of the half, and I'm also not afraid to walk when I need to.  With no time pressure on myself other than the cut off, I know I've got it in me.

So thanks once again for the advice, it's just what I needed and has really helped.

 

Sorry to hear about your pain @Greenelk, but sounds like things are looking up.  Mrs P and I shall send positive thoughts in the direction of your groin (do you think that will help in anyway?), and very much looking forward to following your progress on the big day!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a - now - Southerner - I returned to the place of my birth and childhood and went to Keswick Mountain Festival at the weekend. Amazing!

Did the Adidas Terrex 25km Trail Half Marathon (actually 16 miles) - a large HILLLLLYYYY loop of Derwent Water. Very technical trails - stony, cobbly, loose slate, mud, boulder filled streams, the odd fell. Perfect stuff. 'Proper' running, especially given the running history of the town.

The HM was interesting, beautiful and tough - everything i'm not!

'Potential' time for the leisurely / casual runner was suggested at 3.5 hours. Managed it in 3h20m - so i was pleased with that. Might've been quicker but i HAD to keep stopping to take photos!

Absolutely fantastic festival (music was a bit ropey, but that wasn't really the point) - highly recommend. TONNES of different events too, inc. open water swimming, triathlon, ultra - all of which start and finish IN the festival - so the support and atmosphere was incredible.

Also, the penultimate mile or so of the running events took you through the town where the locals were all clapping and cheering - even for the duffers like me.

The 10k runs (about 4!) were point to point - but they ferried the runners across Derwent Water and then they run back. Awesome.

Highly recommend.

#prayforgreenelksgroin 🙏

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Woffy said:

As a - now - Southerner - I returned to the place of my birth and childhood and went to Keswick Mountain Festival at the weekend. Amazing!

Did the Adidas Terrex 25km Trail Half Marathon (actually 16 miles) - a large HILLLLLYYYY loop of Derwent Water. Very technical trails - stony, cobbly, loose slate, mud, boulder filled streams, the odd fell. Perfect stuff. 'Proper' running, especially given the running history of the town.

The HM was interesting, beautiful and tough - everything i'm not!

'Potential' time for the leisurely / casual runner was suggested at 3.5 hours. Managed it in 3h20m - so i was pleased with that. Might've been quicker but i HAD to keep stopping to take photos!

Absolutely fantastic festival (music was a bit ropey, but that wasn't really the point) - highly recommend. TONNES of different events too, inc. open water swimming, triathlon, ultra - all of which start and finish IN the festival - so the support and atmosphere was incredible.

Also, the penultimate mile or so of the running events took you through the town where the locals were all clapping and cheering - even for the duffers like me.

The 10k runs (about 4!) were point to point - but they ferried the runners across Derwent Water and then they run back. Awesome.

Highly recommend.

#prayforgreenelksgroin 🙏

 

Wow, that sounds ace. Well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

So I did a fitness test on a stationary bike, I have an FTP of 180w apparently. Is that good for someone who doesn't cycle? Screenshot_20210914_111540_com.renpho.aigym.thumb.jpg.5654580d04e58ace0a8a487d3c47df85.jpg

You bloody run sub 4 minute kilometres so I reckon any fitness test you take you'll be in the upper bracket! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got round to seeing our club physio last night. Pretty much what I thought, just a muscular strain right down where the muscles join the pelvis.  Nothing serious, but because it's an area in constant use just moving around it does take a while to settle down.  And, unsurprisingly because it's me, it's quite an uncommon injury! 😄

At least I know what it is now, hopefully soon enough it'll get back to a point where I can at least start running again. Until then, bike it is!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...